2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:10 pm Korg SQ-1 is another option for basic midi to cv. Works great, just limited to one cv/gate pair, and it’s pretty cheap and useful for sequencing of course.
Yes.. I keep meaning to add one.. 3 times I've gone to buy one... then I saw, noise engineering's Mimetic Digitalis... 2nd attempt.. Pressure points and Brains... 3rd attempt Tesseract's Step Fader ( love this unit.. so hands on playable.. a wee unknown gem ;) ) now Make noise have the o-cntl...
:help:

toonertik wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:49 pm
pekbro wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:10 pm Korg SQ-1 is another option for basic midi to cv. Works great, just limited to one cv/gate pair, and it’s pretty cheap and useful for sequencing of course.
Yes.. I keep meaning to add one.. 3 times I've gone to buy one... then I saw, noise engineering's Mimetic Digitalis... 2nd attempt.. Pressure points and Brains... 3rd attempt Tesseract's Step Fader ( love this unit.. so hands on playable.. a wee unknown gem ;) ) now Make noise have the o-cntl...
0-Ctrl is fantastic :D I have my SQ-1 set aside for now for space reasons, but I'm thinking of selling off my pedals and putting the SQ-1 on top of my case for occasional use alongside the 0-Ctrl.

A few years ago, you could go on eBay and grab a cheap Novation BassStation Rack for around $100 or so. It has CV/gate connections, both in and out, and you can use it as an extra analog voice for your modular. Works beautifully in my setup. I just checked prices though... apparently, the BS Rack has become very popular.

The 0-Ctrl is on my "to buy" list definitely, along with the 0-Coast. I do like the SQ-1 as well, didn't know about the bass station, that's a great tip Richie :tu:

Midi is not a huge deal for me tho, I have the Rene and still have that Flux Sequencer from the kickstarter coming, as well as the PRO 3 sequencer, which is amazing, and the ToolBox, and I will likely get a Klee sequencer at some point as I just want one of em. Then there's the Liven 8 bit warps sequencer and the Sinfonion. :lol:

The Pro 3 can do midi to cv as well and back again actually, of course that's a lot of coin just for that.

elxsound wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:26 pm Does anyone have experience with using the OP-Z with the ZM-1 module for sequencing/syncing to Trigger/Midi and CV?

It looks like it should handle all of the above, except that the first output is a 3-way switch between Midi, Tigger and CV (PO). I'm looking just use this with boutiques, pocket operators and volcas, but can also do everything that the Korg SQ-1 can do?

Is there anything the SQ-1 can do that the OP-Z with ZM-1 can't do? I know there's a big price difference, but if buy the OP-Z with the ZM-1, I'm just hoping I won't want to buy a SQ-1 next.
I had to poogle that setup. No experience, obviously but the OP-Z seems to be good bang for buck. Quiet staggering what they have managed to pack into such a small unit... well thought out.
The SQ-1 has 2 channels of gate and CV while it appears the OP-Z plus ZM-1 has 1 gate and 3 CV... however I would expect you can program more complex sequences with the OP-1...
You might be able to get more connectivity with MIDI, if the extra units use MIDI or their PO system.

If you go the OM-1 route... and lots of extra units (volca etc).. I can see the SQ-1 fitting in well... hey
you know how it goes ;)
:hihi:

pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:35 am The 0-Ctrl is on my "to buy" list definitely, along with the 0-Coast. I do like the SQ-1 as well, didn't know about the bass station, that's a great tip Richie :tu:

Midi is not a huge deal for me tho, I have the Rene and still have that Flux Sequencer from the kickstarter coming, as well as the PRO 3 sequencer, which is amazing, and the ToolBox, and I will likely get a Klee sequencer at some point as I just want one of em. Then there's the Liven 8 bit warps sequencer and the Sinfonion. :lol:

The Pro 3 can do midi to cv as well and back again actually, of course that's a lot of coin just for that.
Klee>>> :love:
Where?
I used one in VCV for a few projects... it's mad... totally insane SEQ... did some research and seems to be only kits, if you can find one...
has someone taken up the mantle and started to produce them...
I also have the demo of the standalone... but I'm working out of that effing box now with no intention of going back in except for recording the modular :D
So, do tell if you found them?

foosnark wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:14 am
0-Ctrl is fantastic :D I have my SQ-1 set aside for now for space reasons, but I'm thinking of selling off my pedals and putting the SQ-1 on top of my case for occasional use alongside the 0-Ctrl.
The thing that really impresses me is the time factor...
I'm doing this with A-162 TDelay and A-160-5 ClkMult a bit hit and miss sometimes.
Like the o-coast a well thought out unit that seems to invite hands on playability and fun.

When does it stop ?

Well the Klee is not cheap, but you can buy it assembled at SynthCube for $995 or you can get it from
a builder for 6-700 ish I think. If I get one, I will likely just buy one from SynthCube and be done with it. From synthCube, to me the price is not unreasonable for their expertise.

pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:28 am Well the Klee is not cheap, but you can buy it assembled at SynthCube for $995 or you can get it from
a builder for 6-700 ish I think. If I get one, I will likely just buy one from SynthCube and be done with it. From synthCube, to me the price is not unreasonable for their expertise.
ah yes... seen that place but I thought they only did the kits... now I see $995 assembled.
the panel I like is the circular 5u one... If it was 10 years ago I'd probably make one... but not now
too lazy... eyes not so good.. not enough patience... ;)

Ahh the 5U version, yeah I never looked for that as I don't have a 5U system, currently :D
I would attempt to build that, but I expect it would take me quite a while as it's pretty intricate.

This Modular Grid website has me hooked, was on there until 3am building racks. Not one of them came in under £3,500 gbp but you can get an amazing little setup for that.
Think this is gonna be my new hobby, as I said last night I'll start with the "Tip Top" BD909 module and one of them black Happy Ending 19" racks.

PS

Notification just came that my Mackie 1642vlz4 is out for delivery yay :love:

rob_lee wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:30 am black Happy Ending 19" racks.
I'm definitely all for Behringer bringing classics to the masses at affordable prices however I must admit to falling on the uncomfortable (or let's say unsure) side when the other manufacturer is small and family owned. So with that said and politics aside have you seen this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_eurorack_rack.htm
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:38 am
rob_lee wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:30 am black Happy Ending 19" racks.
I'm definitely all for Behringer bringing classics to the masses at affordable prices however I must admit to falling on the uncomfortable (or let's say unsure) side when the other manufacturer is small and family owned. So with that said and politics aside have you seen this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_eurorack_rack.htm
That looks cool Mushy don’t mind what case I get as long as I can rack it but that one surely is nice n cheap.

That's not really a lot of power in the beri rack, I'd want to know more about that power supply before I bought that. Unless you are certain your'e not going to want to buy some new module unexpectedly. Literally, I could max that out with 2 modules. Just sayin...

pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:29 am That's not really a lot of power in the beri rack, I'd want to know more about that power supply before I bought that. Unless you are certain your'e not going to want to buy some new module unexpectedly. Literally, I could max that out with 2 modules. Just sayin...
Funny you mention that because it's exactly my concern also. I currently have both the Happy Ending the Behringer in my Thomann shopping cart but am waiting on a few reviews before I decide on one.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”