One Synth Challenge #136: Odin 2 by The Wave Warden (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

functionform wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:28 pm Quick question, what's the difference between Mod* vs Global*? Both are assignable in the matrix looks like.
I think you mean LFO1/2/3 vs GlobalLFO?

LFO1/2/3 are per voice, GlobalLFO is one LFO for all voices. Same goes for Amp-/Mod-/FilterEnvelope and GlobalEnvelope

TheWaveWarden wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:23 pm Hi, I'm the dev of Odin, I am superstoked this is happening :)

Just a quick heads up: Odin2 is currently in beta (but will be released soon). There's another thread here on KVR about the beta:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=542997

I am still in the process of gathering presets for the Factory Presets Library. If you have any you think would make a nice addition, contact me.

Have fun and enjoy the OSC! :D
Seems like a really fun synth -- thanks, and I expect you'll get all kinds of feedback, but will also hear some incredible tracks made with this!

Hey Richard and BJ -- on behalf of the 7 - NO NOW 8!!! -- members of the Paid Plugin Petition on the OSC Slack, I respectfully request that we be allowed to use paid plugs. If anyone else is in agreement I welcome you to join the slack channel so that your voice, too, can be counted....(https://app.slack.com/client/T1SD6VCH0/ ... fallback=1) - our goal is 87,000 signatures on the petition. Thanks!

ontrackp wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:35 am Hey Richard and BJ -- on behalf of the 7 - NO NOW 8!!! -- members of the Paid Plugin Petition on the OSC Slack, I respectfully request that we be allowed to use paid plugs. If anyone else is in agreement I welcome you to join the slack channel so that your voice, too, can be counted....(https://app.slack.com/client/T1SD6VCH0/ ... fallback=1) - our goal is 87,000 signatures on the petition. Thanks!
It is good to see that there is a place (Slack) where the OSC participants meet to chat and exchange opinions about music production techniques, peculiarities of the selected synths, tricks to improve productions. All good.
What I do not agree with is that decisions are made about the competition rules in that place (Slack). I think that such decisions should be made in an open place like this thread in KVR, where all OSC participants can comment on the rules that govern the contest or the possible changes that are proposed. I think KVR is the natural place to explore possible changes about OSC's future.
Regarding the use of free or paid plugins, I believe that the use of free plugins should be maintained as established by current rules. Mainly because this rule seeks equal conditions for all contestants, that no one has even a slight advantage over another. It is true that this is relative, because some DAWs have better stock plugins than other DAWs. But allowing commercial plugins definitely doesn't help create a level playing field for everyone.
In the case of exceptional months, in which the use of a commercial VSTi's is allowed, I have no objection to the use of paid plugins. But since most of the time they are dedicated to free virtual synths I think the rules are fair in not allowing paid plugins in such months.
IMHO :tu:

No one is making decisions on Slack. If anything it is the opposite. It is a wide ranging free for all that is not as formal as the kvr forum. We have discussed the paid plug question multiple times on kvr, and no doubt will continue to. My “petition” is fun, that’s all. In fact, If any actual decisions were influenced by the OSC slack I would question everyone’s sanity! And of course, I completely respect your opinion about commercial wax!

ontrackp wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:02 am My “petition” is fun, that’s all. In fact, If any actual decisions were influenced by the OSC slack I would question everyone’s sanity!
Ok. This changes the meaning of everything you said in your previous post. :wink:

Changing the subject, this looks like it will be an excellent month. This synth is very promising. :hyper:

Odin 2 looks very cool. After playing with it for 20 mins or so, I expect I'll be making a LOT of presets for this.
Snappy envelops, responsive GUI, great sounding oscillators, filters, and TONS of options. This is a free synth? Man. Hats off to the Wave Warden. You've rustled up some my-t-fine waves my friend.

Here we go again! This is quite the schedule! I already have this one installed but never really got round to using it. Good timing...

ontrackp wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:35 am Hey Richard and BJ -- on behalf of the 7 - NO NOW 8!!! -- members of the Paid Plugin Petition on the OSC Slack, I respectfully request that we be allowed to use paid plugs. [...] - our goal is 87,000 signatures on the petition. Thanks!
87,000 :lol: Nice. Good luck with that. :wink:

My understanding is that the restriction is in part to make sure that if there's a reason to inspect a project for suspected rules violations, we don't require a judge who has licenses to all the particular commercial plugins used. (I'm curious: Has this ever happened?) So, here's my counter-proposal: Commercial plugins are allowed, on the condition that you are willing to shell out for an extra license in the event OSC judges request your project files. This might even lead to more frequent checks for rules violations. :wink:
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:31 pm
ontrackp wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:35 am Hey Richard and BJ -- on behalf of the 7 - NO NOW 8!!! -- members of the Paid Plugin Petition on the OSC Slack, I respectfully request that we be allowed to use paid plugs. [...] - our goal is 87,000 signatures on the petition. Thanks!
87,000 :lol: Nice. Good luck with that. :wink:

My understanding is that the restriction is in part to make sure that if there's a reason to inspect a project for suspected rules violations, we don't require a judge who has licenses to all the particular commercial plugins used. (I'm curious: Has this ever happened?) So, here's my counter-proposal: Commercial plugins are allowed, on the condition that you are willing to shell out for an extra license in the event OSC judges request your project files. This might even lead to more frequent checks for rules violations. :wink:
Hey Frogs -- join the slack channel and we'll only need 86,991 more signatures!

Seriously - I am in favor of the paid plugs because at the end of the day I don't think it really makes the difference in how a piece scores on the 1 - 5 scale. For ease of use, efficient use of time, and fun, it makes the competition better (at least for me and a few others). However, I also see the "even playing field" perspective, so the discussion will continue.....

Yeahhh - Odin2 in the OSC :party: :clap: :D

I found this synth some weeks ago and was blown away by its potential. But different to other mighty synths, I feel comfortable with it and like the modulation matrix a lot!
After making some nice sounds, I would like to hear them together in a short demo. After some days I had two of them. You can here them here:

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2-ambient-style

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2-drum-style

Those are not my entries for the OSC. This will be a bigger one!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

jasinski wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:22 am ...This is a free synth? ...
My thoughts exactly. This thing is amazing, I'm absolutely loving it ! :tu: as well as :clap: for The Wave Warden.

Yeah, this is a noice synth!

Does anyone know how to make ping-pong delay actually ping-pong, though?

Cheers,
-Z

z.prime wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:30 am Yeah, this is a noice synth!

Does anyone know how to make ping-pong delay actually ping-pong, though?

Cheers,
-Z
With the PingPong activated you need to use the Amp Pan set to left or right. You don't get the initial hit centred though, but the pan acts like a sort of width setting for the delays.

Are there some basic presets available, too?

Return to “Instruments”