All things pedal related.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cptgone wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:46 am My 2nd hand EHX Operation Overlord stereo overdrive seems to have gone defective.
With the DRY knob turned down, I get no sound - and the DRY gets a little distorted, too.
Weird, it just sat in my living room on a Behringer pedalboard, powered by the built in PSU.
Not sure what to do with it now (apart from testing it again in a simplified setup, just to make sure).
try a different power supply before anything else.
it might not be getting a clean current, worth a shot?

The Noodlist wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:15 pm
cptgone wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:52 pm Just as I ordered a bunch of Chinese mini pedals, an even tinier range appears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qd-NJu15_4
The Behringer VD400 gets good reviews
I wouldn't know, AFAIK the digital Behringer pedals are much less liked than the analog ones, and there are a LOT of cheap delay pedals out there. Many are much smaller, and not made of plastic.

cptgone wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:35 pm I wouldn't know, AFAIK the digital Behringer pedals are much less liked than the analog ones, and there are a LOT of cheap delay pedals out there. Many are much smaller, and not made of plastic
Aren't analog ones BBD?
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:06 pm
cptgone wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:46 am My 2nd hand EHX Operation Overlord stereo overdrive seems to have gone defective.
With the DRY knob turned down, I get no sound - and the DRY gets a little distorted, too.
Weird, it just sat in my living room on a Behringer pedalboard, powered by the built in PSU.
Not sure what to do with it now (apart from testing it again in a simplified setup, just to make sure).
try a different power supply before anything else.
it might not be getting a clean current, worth a shot?
Good thinking.
- I don't have the original 9.6V PSU, I'm gonna try one from another such EHX pedal. They're rather affordable anyways.
- I've been meaning to upgrade to Harley Benton PSUs on that pedalboard - but now I plan to upgrade the pedalboard (one of those Behringer all-in-one boards/cases) altogether as it doesn't have velcro. It sits tilted in my Jaspers rack, holding little stacks of pedals who ultimately rest on the lower edge of the board/case, making it hard to switch any out.

the vd400 is the big beige one?
metal case, massive knobs.
yup, thats a great delay.
there was also the big muff copy and a tube thing. the tube was a bit meh, but the muff was nice.
and the vintage phaser is cool too.

The Noodlist wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:42 pm
cptgone wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:35 pm I wouldn't know, AFAIK the digital Behringer pedals are much less liked than the analog ones, and there are a LOT of cheap delay pedals out there. Many are much smaller, and not made of plastic
Aren't analog ones BBD?
Oops, I somehow mistook it for another Behringer pedal. Sorry!

A mod for the VD400. Could be a project pedal with a new enclosure and added pots for wet/ dry and time.
https://youtu.be/fwzvxdTTQm4
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

My EHX Operation Overlord is alive and well!
I didn't feel like untangling a 9.6V PSU yesterday, but I should have just plugged into my Harley Benton Iso2 PSU, 9V still seems to suffice :dog: :hihi:

So the problem seems to lie with my Behringer PB1000 pedalboard's built-in PSU (or an overloading thereof).
I proceeded to order a Harley Benton pedalboard to replace it, instead of waiting for a b-stock unit to appear.
Sorry pedals, your asses have some sticky velcro coming.

Thanks vurt, you were 100% right!

you could be overloading the psu if theres a lot of digital pedals maybe?
i know in the modular world its the fancy digital stuff that kills your psus :hihi:

glad it was an easy fix though :)

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:31 pm you could be overloading the psu if theres a lot of digital pedals maybe?
i know in the modular world its the fancy digital stuff that kills your psus :hihi:
Possibly, but no fancy digital stuff on that board except 1 Source Audio Soundblox2 (a mere 140mA), I may have been using all 13 plugs though but still, if the Behringer PB1000 can't handle my pedals I would be disappointed.

Thanks again - there, I downvoted your fix. You're welcome!

always happy to help :tu:
especially llamas.

-deleted-

The Noodlist wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:15 pm The Behringer VD400 gets good reviews, do they have a monopoly on BBD chips?
They make their own BBD's and also sell them to other companies.
A mod for the VD400. Could be a project pedal with a new enclosure and added pots for wet/ dry and time.
In case it's not covered in the video, increasing the delay time makes the delays sound dirtier. That's why most vintage analog delays are 300ms. The Biyang delay lets you switch between 600ms and 1100ms, both settings are sloppy but the 1100ms turns it into a super lofi delay.

cptgone wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:12 pm Possibly, but no fancy digital stuff on that board except 1 Source Audio Soundblox2 (a mere 140mA), I may have been using all 13 plugs though but still, if the Behringer PB1000 can't handle my pedals I would be disappointed.
Change the PB1000's power supply. It's only rated for 1.7A and 13 pedals can easily exceed that. Get a 3A and you'll be fine.

With that said, a transformer isolated power supply that plugs in to the wall with an IEC cable is superior.

Return to “Guitars”