2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The uzeus can go up to 2 amps (with the right psu), that's my minimum pretty much. Of course
you could always get another I suppose, or get the chaining type like toonertik uses. If you guys
get into the modular thing likely you will wind up with a number of power solutions anyway.
I have 8 eurorack psus currently :D Only 2 of the rack mounted type.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:33 am
pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:29 am That's not really a lot of power in the beri rack, I'd want to know more about that power supply before I bought that. Unless you are certain your'e not going to want to buy some new module unexpectedly. Literally, I could max that out with 2 modules. Just sayin...
Funny you mention that because it's exactly my concern also. I currently have both the Happy Ending the Behringer in my Thomann shopping cart but am waiting on a few reviews before I decide on one.
I started my rig with a Happy Ending Kit around 5 years ago, and it powered two full rows without any problem. When I was ready to upgrade, I was able to sell it for almost what I paid for it.

Keep in mind, any switching power supply is going to introduce some noise into the rack, which was a bit of an annoyance with my analog-only setup. But for the price, it was an excellent way to start. :tu:

pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:49 am The uzeus can go up to 2 amps (with the right psu), that's my minimum pretty much. Of course
you could always get another I suppose, or get the chaining type like toonertik uses. If you guys
get into the modular thing likely you will wind up with a number of power solutions anyway.
I have 8 eurorack psus currently :D Only 2 of the rack mounted type.
I only really have place for Eurorack in a 19" enclosure, hence the Happy Ending solution. My plan was going to be using a power supply for each row. So as long as the Behringer can power one row I'm fine. Obviously there are many variables at play here so I do need to review the power consumption of my intended modules.

Surely the power supply is decent enough to drive a row of reasonably hungry modules though. I would hope they've done their research. Maybe I'm being optimistic though...
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

RichieWitch wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:17 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:33 am
pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:29 am That's not really a lot of power in the beri rack, I'd want to know more about that power supply before I bought that. Unless you are certain your'e not going to want to buy some new module unexpectedly. Literally, I could max that out with 2 modules. Just sayin...
Funny you mention that because it's exactly my concern also. I currently have both the Happy Ending the Behringer in my Thomann shopping cart but am waiting on a few reviews before I decide on one.
I started my rig with a Happy Ending Kit around 5 years ago, and it powered two full rows without any problem. When I was ready to upgrade, I was able to sell it for almost what I paid for it.

Keep in mind, any switching power supply is going to introduce some noise into the rack, which was a bit of an annoyance with my analog-only setup. But for the price, it was an excellent way to start. :tu:
Thanks for that info. Sounds like I should be ok initially then :tu:

And no I won't outgrow the rack. I won't, I promise. Ok, maybe :hihi:

pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:29 am That's not really a lot of power in the beri rack, I'd want to know more about that power supply before I bought that.
Its more than the 650mA PSU that's in one of my Doepfer G6 6U racks, the one that was part of an original version A100 Basic System 2.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yeah, it just depends on what you want to get, mostly the big digital modules with touchscreens and whatnot take a lot of power. There are other things to consider particularly with digital modules, even those without screens, switching and whatnot.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:30 pm Its more than the 650mA PSU that's in one of my Doepfer G6 6U racks, the one that was part of an original version A100 Basic System 2.
That's definitely reassuring then.
pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:45 pm Yeah, it just depends on what you want to get, mostly the big digital modules with touchscreens and whatnot take a lot of power. There are other things to consider particularly with digital modules, even those without screens, switching and whatnot.
Ah ok, gotcha. My first modules wont be anything crazy, just the bog standard filters, envelopes, etc.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:51 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:30 pm Its more than the 650mA PSU that's in one of my Doepfer G6 6U racks, the one that was part of an original version A100 Basic System 2.
Well, its getting a PSU3 (2Amp) replacement when I mod it into a 9U case, but that's because that's all Doepfer do now. The older PSU2 (1.2A) version is in 3 of my other 6U racks, and a 90% full 9U one. I've got one full 9U that has a PSU-3 in it, and its almost all digital (apart from an AFG and a Z3000) and the main draw (the +12V) is about 1.9A.

As pekbro says, the modules that tend to eat power are the fancy digital ones, pure analog is far less greedy. Modulargrid is at its most useful for working out power usage, IMO.

edit : the PSU3 is 2A at 12V, not 3A. corrected.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

one of my mantis racks is fairly packed with digital and ive never had any problems.

if i did i could swap things around with the other rack which is pretty much 100% analogue and probably doesnt draw much.

the mantis also have usb ports.
no idea what for though, not something ive needed as yet?

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:01 pm the mantis also have usb ports.
seemingly its 'SyncBus', which is clock between some of their modules (eg Trigger Riot)

If you want power for your USB cup warmer and oil diffuser, you'll need one of these instead:

http://www.doepfer.de/a1839.htm

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:07 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:01 pm the mantis also have usb ports.
seemingly its 'SyncBus', which is clock between some of their modules (eg Trigger Riot)
that will be why its not been a thing for me.
i just figured, if it became useful, it would be apparent by some extra cable in a module box, until that day :shrug:

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:08 pm If you want power for your USB cup warmer and oil diffuser, you'll need one of these instead:

http://www.doepfer.de/a1839.htm
or "medicinal herbal vapouriser" :lol:

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:54 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:51 pm
Well, its getting a PSU3 (3Amp) replacement when I mod it into a 9U case, but that's because that's all Doepfer do now. The older PSU2 (1.2A) version is in 3 of my other 6U racks, and a 90% full 9U one. I've got one full 9U that has a PSU-3 in it, and its almost all digital (apart from an AFG and a Z3000) and the main draw (the +12V) is about 1.9A.

As pekbro says, the modules that tend to eat power are the fancy digital ones, pure analog is far less greedy. Modulargrid is at its most useful for working out power usage, IMO.
Thanks for the info. I am aware of Modulargrid and will definitely head over there closer to the time of purchase.

toonertik wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:16 am
elxsound wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:26 pm Does anyone have experience with using the OP-Z with the ZM-1 module for sequencing/syncing to Trigger/Midi and CV?

It looks like it should handle all of the above, except that the first output is a 3-way switch between Midi, Tigger and CV (PO). I'm looking just use this with boutiques, pocket operators and volcas, but can also do everything that the Korg SQ-1 can do?

Is there anything the SQ-1 can do that the OP-Z with ZM-1 can't do? I know there's a big price difference, but if buy the OP-Z with the ZM-1, I'm just hoping I won't want to buy a SQ-1 next.
I had to poogle that setup. No experience, obviously but the OP-Z seems to be good bang for buck. Quiet staggering what they have managed to pack into such a small unit... well thought out.
The SQ-1 has 2 channels of gate and CV while it appears the OP-Z plus ZM-1 has 1 gate and 3 CV... however I would expect you can program more complex sequences with the OP-1...
You might be able to get more connectivity with MIDI, if the extra units use MIDI or their PO system.

If you go the OM-1 route... and lots of extra units (volca etc).. I can see the SQ-1 fitting in well... hey
you know how it goes ;)

:hihi:
Yes, painfully... That there is no one final purchase, just moments of contentment until the next "need" has to be resolved. :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”