Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Can we get an A/B switch to toggle between muting the internal synth engine and muting the MIDI port?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Hello,

I tried to convert various 4 op FM sysex to DX7 format without success. I used DXconvert 3.0.4 with python.

The sysex contain DX21/DX27/DX100/FB01 sounds. I know that conversion is not perfect, but I assume that lot of presets will be ok. And I like 4 op sound, different from DX7 character.

So, if anybody could convert those sysex to DX7 format, I would be very happy.

Thank you for any help :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skippy63 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:15 pm Hello,

I tried to convert various 4 op FM sysex to DX7 format without success. I used DXconvert 3.0.4 with python.

The sysex contain DX21/DX27/DX100/FB01 sounds. I know that conversion is not perfect, but I assume that lot of presets will be ok. And I like 4 op sound, different from DX7 character.

I'm not sure if this imports Yamaha 4-Op patches, but it is a great emulation of the TX81Z/DX11 engine that featured the extra waveforms in the operators...

https://www.sonicbits.com/exakt-lite.html

skippy63 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:15 pmI tried to convert various 4 op FM sysex to DX7 format without success. I used DXconvert 3.0.4 with python.
May I ask why DXconvert wasn't working on these?
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Interesting. It hasn't generated many usable sounds yet but it's fun to play.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

resistent wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:01 pm Since there are not enough sysex banks/presets for Dexed et al. a smart person did an AI-Cartridge thing-y. Did not tried it yet but could be fun for some.

https://www.thisdx7cartdoesnotexist.com/

Yeah, I tried this but came up with about 2-3 useable patches out of each batch of 32.

Just got a couple of good ones. It's quicker than I am. :)

For someone doing a machine-learning patch generator, tackling FM is a courageous decision. ML likes continuous spaces, something that fits analogue subtractive pretty well. FM is pockets of good swimming in a sea of "ow, those ratios hurt" noise.

It seems to make sensible decisions on things like envelopes but gets tripped up by the discontinuous space of usable FM ratios and a tendency to pick fixed ratios too often. It's a good effort though.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm importing into FM8 so it's nice and quick. Just saving the ones I like with sensible names.

It can be worth setting the ratios to sane values if you come across one that's got some interesting envelope movement in it. That expands the usable range of sounds a bit.

It's probably a bit quicker to do that in Dexed than in FM8 because of the way the coarse and fine settings are controlled.

Watchful wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:00 am
skippy63 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:15 pmI tried to convert various 4 op FM sysex to DX7 format without success. I used DXconvert 3.0.4 with python.
May I ask why DXconvert wasn't working on these?
Because I don't know how to use it correctly :hihi:

Failed Muso wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:30 pm

I'm not sure if this imports Yamaha 4-Op patches, but it is a great emulation of the TX81Z/DX11 engine that featured the extra waveforms in the operators...

Yes, it's a fine synth, but there is no way to import sysex, so the purpose to convert Yamaha 4-Op sysex to DX7 sysex format.

skippy63 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:14 am Because I don't know how to use it correctly :hihi:
Here are some directions you can adapt as well as get yourself a free Korg DS8 emulation:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0&t=523914
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

skippy63 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:16 am
Failed Muso wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:30 pm

Yes, it's a fine synth, but there is no way to import sysex, so the purpose to convert Yamaha 4-Op sysex to DX7 sysex format.
But a 6-Op FM synth wouldn't sound the same as a 4-Op one, since the algorithms aren't the same. If you convert 4-Op algorithms to 6-Op ones, the sound may change anyway. So if you're looking for "authentic" 4-Op FM synthesis, wouldn't it make sense (and be easier) to just use a 4-Op synth?

I'm just curious about this, and not criticizing your approach.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Return to “Instruments”