CHOW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use the standart setting with -18dB input,check by vu meter,set and forget.

Thanks. I gain stage pretty low myself too (-20 to -24).
I tend to raise Bias pretty high, at least when experimenting on the 2bus (that's were I mostly use tape sims). Otherwise, hi-freq loss can get too important to my liking.
I also experiment with various Drive levels, including low ones. Trying to hear how different using the Drive knob acts differently than tweaking the input / sat.
To my ears, ips isn't as drastic as with other tape emus.
The loss params are quite powerful tone shapers.
I've read Jotin's paper on the Github rep, will of course read again. Any user tips / experience welcome, cheers !
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 am Would love to read how you guys are using it / setting it, this beast is deep.
Typically on a bus, I'll turn up the bias and drive a bit, a little bit of thickness and spacing depending on how much high frequency stuff I want, and maybe a tiny bit of flutter. I usually leave the input gain where it's at, but maybe that's more because I prefer to have a somewhat smaller signal going into my plugins. Recently, I've been using it as a guitar/keyboard distortion with more drive and saturation. For a more "Boards Of Canada" thing I've done lots of flutter and degradation, maybe with the bias turned down.
nilhartman wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 am @chowdsp : Jatin, would it be possible to add the number of the build somewhere in the GUI please ?
Yes, already have it set up for the next release!
nilhartman wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm To my ears, ips isn't as drastic as with other tape emus.
The loss params are quite powerful tone shapers.
In my model, the IPS only affects the loss filters, not the hysteresis (though I've been pondering maybe allowing separate control over speed effects on the hysteresis). A lot of the stuff happening with the tone filters I owe to some great work by Jay Kadis (see here: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jay/subpage ... ording.pdf, loss filters are on page 7,8). Maybe I'll do a write-up sometime showing some of the interesting frequency response shapes that can come out of the different controls.

Thanks so much for all your kind words and inspiration! I've been pretty swamped lately with some school and work projects, but I'm hoping to get in a few more bug fixes before doing another release, maybe in a couple weeks. In the meantime, I'd love for some folks to contribute presets! See here: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... /issues/30

Just found this by chance and I'm really liking it. I'm not very versed in the technical lingo, but it tames the sound in a pleasant way and distorts nicely without being totally obvious of the color that it's imparting to the sound. It can get nasty, but in a... respectful way? Don't really know how to describe it. I think I will make this a permanent one for finishing my demos in the 2-buss.

Take your time and I hope you can keep maintaining this.

Best regards, and thanks for your work!

chowdsp wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:29 am Alright folks, just finished with a build for version 2.0, I'd love to have y'all try it out! New builds are available on GitHub: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... /tag/2.0.0. I'm not currently able to "codesign" the mac builds, so I'm not sure if those will work.
Dude, this thing sounds great. Outstanding work 👏🏼

I made the leap to Catalina so I needed to build my own binary. If you want, I can codesign and notarize the VST3 I built with my Apple Developer ID until you get your own, and throw it on Dropbox or something for people. Let me know.

Hey all,

Just posted a new release. Updates include 1x mode, presets, and "wow" processing (separate from flutter). I'm pretty sure the Logic Pro validation bug has been fixed as well, though I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of testers. The weird popping/clicking/volume spike issues in Bitwig and Ableton have been solved, though I know some folks on FL Studio and Reaper are still having some trouble on that front. I've downloaded trials for both software and haven't yet been able to recreate these bugs, but I'll keep looking. Any assistance from developers more familiar with these DAWs would be great!
trackbout wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:59 am I made the leap to Catalina so I needed to build my own binary. If you want, I can codesign and notarize the VST3 I built with my Apple Developer ID until you get your own, and throw it on Dropbox or something for people. Let me know.
That would be wonderful! If you could make builds of the new release, I can add them to the official release page. Dropbox is fine, or making a pull request on GitHub is even better if you're comfortable with that (just put your new builds in the `Plugin/Bin/Mac/` folder and update the "MacBuilds.zip"). Thanks much!

Aside from a loud clipping "pop" when inserting the plugin on a track (Reaper 6.11), it seems to be working perfectly here, Mojave 10.14.6, thanks again Jatin !
Genuine question : would you consider adding (if technically possible) control over noise amount ?
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

excellent news on the update, random pops in ableton and 1x was exactly what I was hoping for.

unfortunately, i have to report that the gui is completely broken with this build using vst2, win8, live 10. I can't seem to click anything and it doesn't display proportionately, let me know if you need any more details and thanks for the update.

using latest vst3 in Reaper and it's a BLAST!:)
thank you Jatin. this is MAD good!:)

Thanks for the update! So far so good in Ableton Live 10 (Windows) :tu:

AU validation seems to be fixed here. Just checked on my Sierra laptop with auval via Terminal.
Image Image Image Image

chowdsp wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:26 am
trackbout wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:59 am I made the leap to Catalina so I needed to build my own binary. If you want, I can codesign and notarize the VST3 I built with my Apple Developer ID until you get your own, and throw it on Dropbox or something for people. Let me know.
That would be wonderful! If you could make builds of the new release, I can add them to the official release page. Dropbox is fine, or making a pull request on GitHub is even better if you're comfortable with that (just put your new builds in the `Plugin/Bin/Mac/` folder and update the "MacBuilds.zip"). Thanks much!
The only reason I prefer dropbox in this case is so I can quickly and easily take it down myself if some weird licensing issue arises with Apple or Steinberg, which is unlikely but you never know with large companies.

Also just FYI, I can only build the VST3 because I'm on the latest everything now, so OSX 10.15.5 and Xcode 11.5 and the master branch of JUCE is broken on the newer versions of Xcode so you have to build the Projucer off the develop branch to get the hot fixes, you can see some people discussing it on the forum https://forum.juce.com/t/reference-to-a ... us/38466/2 so I can't create an Xcode project from the JUCE submodule in your repo, I have to create a CHOWTape Xcode project from my own develop branch Projucer and then build, and when I do that there are some other build errors on the AU and VST that you won't hit on your older version of Xcode, only the VST3 succeeds on Xcode 11.5 and I didn't want to touch any source code, there's no point until you need to be on the latest Xcode anyway.

Anyway I'll build another Catalina ready VST3 later today and put a DropBox link in here, which you can add to the README.md or something if you want.

nilhartman wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:39 am Genuine question : would you consider adding (if technically possible) control over noise amount ?
There's already a little bit of control over noise in the degrade section. Would this be a more direct control, say, in the hysteresis processing?
s28 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:16 am unfortunately, i have to report that the gui is completely broken with this build using vst2, win8, live 10. I can't seem to click anything and it doesn't display proportionately, let me know if you need any more details and thanks for the update.
Sorry to hear that! A picture would definitely be helpful. Also, was this from loading a session saved with the previous version of the plugin, or from a new session? Feel free to create a GitHub issue as well.
trackbout wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:50 pm The only reason I prefer dropbox in this case is so I can quickly and easily take it down myself if some weird licensing issue arises with Apple or Steinberg, which is unlikely but you never know with large companies.
Totally understandable, that sounds great. I was unaware of the JUCE issues on the latest Xcode, so thanks for letting me know that as well. Thanks much!

Thanks to all for your feedback, it's very useful for helping to let me know what's working/not working on all these different platforms. Also, I'd love to hear any music you all are making with the plugin!

delete
Last edited by trackbout on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just had a play with 2.3 (and 2.3.1) and there is a MASSIVE volume boost in Live 10 when switching to the TC-260 and LoFi presets. You may need to select these presets more than once for it to happen.

Also is the wow and flutter supposed to be so extreme on the TC-260 preset?
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Effects”