11%
Tracktion
1%
UAD Luna
0%

Total votes: 426

RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:08 pm You do understand the concept of public poll, right? It's not about what YOU think, but about what MAJORITY thinks. And also is not that much ahead of other DAWs in top-5, definitely within the range of statistical error for such a small sample.
Yes of course, and as said and as it was mentioned few times over the 16 pages it is largely subjective to individual experience. And also Live ranked second. I too like it's interface, It's plain and simple, I'd say that plays major part why it's super intuitive for some (again not all). I haven't tried bitwig, but its similarity (at least in some of the GUI elemets) is striking.
antic604 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:08 pm Not as flexible as Cubase (or Bitwig, indeed) but there's that at least
I know took them a while. So it came with v10, should have been earlier in my humble opinion.

F8L8 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:37 pmI know took them a while. So it came with v10, should have been earlier in my humble opinion.
Nope. It was introduced in v9.1:
https://www.ableton.com/en/press/press- ... -live-9-1/
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

As someone not completely familiar with Bitwig Studio. What is the main selling point that people resonate to, seeing that it has topped the list?
Take care :wink:

^^^ BWS is the only DAW that works better using its single monitor mode, dual(+) mode one(s) just slow you down, both the UX and UI are really well thought up in it
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

This is a popularity poll, and has nothing to do with the GUIs. I bet everybody voted in his/hers favorite(s) DAW(s) :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

^^^ don't think the BWS is the most popular DAW far from it

xbitz wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:24 am ^^^ don't think the BWS is the most popular DAW far from it
Here in KVR? Are you kidding? It's one of the most popular, almost for certain. Side by side with REAPER. REAPER isn't at the top in this because REAPER users don't pay too much attention to GUI (they can use whatever GUI they want).

But the others (the first four)... Yeah, IMO they are just competing in popularity. But hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter what it's based on. :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

consordini wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:50 am As someone not completely familiar with Bitwig Studio. What is the main selling point that people resonate to, seeing that it has topped the list?
The poll is about the GUI, which I don't think is a deciding factor when someone buys a DAW (although it is a factor that's considered in the equation for sure).

Bitwig's main selling points IMO are:
  • extensive internal modulation system (LFOs, envelopes, signal followers, etc. that can be attached to any exposed parameter(s) of native & 3rd party devices)
  • native modular synth & FX device that's similar - less powerful, but MUCH easier & better integrated - to Reaktor, VCV Rack, Voltage Modular, etc.
  • extended clip-launching workflow (like Ableton)
  • full support for MPE, VST3, bit bridging (32- and 64-bit), plugin sandboxing, hybrid tracks (audio & MIDI together)
  • great out-of-the-box support for modular hardware integration
  • open programmable (Java/JS) API for controller support
  • beautiful & flexible GUI
  • Linux support

If I were to list some negatives, I'd say (and they might be not for you or someone else):
  • high cost of keeping it up to date - if you want to be on the bleeding edge, you might have to spend $129-169 every 12-18 months
  • devs prioritize features catering to sound designers, modular synthesis geeks & the like; obviously every release has some things for everyone, incl. "traditional" workflow improvements, it's just that it seems tilted a bit into the former direction, at least since v3
  • it's a small player in the market, therefore finding tutorials, demo projects, collaboration opportunities is more difficult than with FL or Ableton, BUT it's getting better literally every week and the community itself is awesome, so I guess it's a matter of time

Basically if you're looking for a modern DAW (6 years!) that's not based on traditional tape-machine paradigm and is more like an instrument & sound-design tool, Bitwig is a great DAW to try out :)
Last edited by antic604 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:34 am Basically if you're looking for a modern DAW (6 years!) that's not based on traditional tape-machine paradigm and is more like an instrument & sound-design tool, Bitwig is a great DAW to try out :)
Thank you for such an extensive reply, this was very informative. It definitely seems more like an instrument and an all-around tool more than anything, which is definitely intriguing. What it offers natively sounds really interesting, will definitely give it a proper try to see if I fall into the category of people who benefit from what it offers.

xbitz wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:19 am ^^^ BWS is the only DAW that works better using its single monitor mode, dual(+) mode one(s) just slow you down, both the UX and UI are really well thought up in it
That's quite interesting. I'm more keen on using a single monitor, so it will be interesting to see how it actually performs in comparison to other DAWs.

xbitz wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:19 am...dual(+) mode one(s) just slow you down...
Do you mean the above in terms of workflow efficiency or graphical performance?

I might understand the latter, especially on OSX, but if it's the former can you please elaborate on that? Is it about having to traverse long distances with the mouse, whereas - on single screen - everything's one click / shortcut away?

I mean this looks pretty badass :hyper:

Music tech enthusiast

^ That definitely looks pretty badass, I'll have to agree.

antic604 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 pm
xbitz wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:19 am...dual(+) mode one(s) just slow you down...
Do you mean the above in terms of workflow efficiency or graphical performance?
simply faster to switch between the different hubs in it than using multiple monitors,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVL2IebVuEw
there are two main hubs in it the first is the arranger second is the mixer view can be switching between them using 'tab' key (or what u define) there is a secondary hub the editor view can be jumping to it from both primary hubs with simple 'shift+tab' and can be jumping back and forth between them using 'shift+tab' which goes back the arranger or with 'tab' which goes back to mix hub furthermore the bottom part is freely interchangeable (between device/editors/mixer panels)... so the shortkey based navigation is simply faster than using multiple monitors, which is looking awesome for sure, even comfier than the screensets in Logic

additionally bonus they added shortkey (latest betas) which can open/close the window of the primary VST instrument on the selected track (or any instrument groups on any track) this feature exists in Cubase, Logic etc. finally it can be used in Bitwig too

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”