2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:31 pm
elxsound wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:14 pm Ordered from BHPhotovideo and it came today!

Still have to read directions, and update firmware, but I'm not complaining. I can't wait to get up and running

pardon my ignorance, but
what is it? :oops:
Synthesizer/Sequencer/Sampler

I got it primarily to use with a growing collection of small synth devices that all have different ways of syncing (CV/Trigger/Midi) and the OP-Z along with the OPLab module expansion (ZM-1) allows for that, except that it only switches between Midi/Trig/CV on one output. The other 2 outputs remain CV and the only annoying thing about it is that you have to remove the back plate in order to switch between those 3 output types (but the plate comes off easy).

The OP-Z works as a standalone device, or you can use it with either Mac/Android/iOS apps to have a visual display (pictured with iPad version).

It does more like sequencing lighting and some type of Unity 3D animation control (that I'm only referencing, possibly incorrectly because I haven't read up on it since I don't plan to use those features).

Its a beastly device that's travel-size, which is great for NYC apartment living.

This makes the boutique synths look large. Which is just strange.

The dials are designed to accept Lego '+' pieces though right?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:08 pm The dials are designed to accept Lego '+' pieces though right?
Yes, and I plan on having lego dials!

elxsound wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:14 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:08 pm The dials are designed to accept Lego '+' pieces though right?
Has anybody ever connected it to a Technics kit for automation?

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:16 pm
elxsound wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:14 pm
Has anybody ever connected it to a Technics kit for automation?
Not finding much, so I looked for the OP-1 and so far only found this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pGUjO9sI6o

Absolutely awesome. Love it.

Same! I just wish I had one of those... Once we move out of this place, its going on my list of things to add into my life.

Here's a video for Vurt that I think will will show a bit more how this (with the OPLab module) can be of use (and I believe this video speaks fluently in Vurt):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLx_ucI4yM&t=50s

thats pretty cool really.
those op things always looked cool but i did wonder how useful they could be.
that unit makes it all connected, awesome :tu:

the lego is not "my lego" :hihi:
technix is for big boys.

I ordered a Synthwerks MG-1 manual gate button. I could wish it had two buttons instead of a mult, or a toggle mode, or was 6HP instead of 8, but eh... they are stupid cheap right now ($25).

I don't even have room for it unless I go through with my plan to sell off most of my pedals (and thus my ADDAC200PI).

I have a number of modules that can produce gates one way or another, only the Sinfonion has
a couple aux gates that are toggled. They are super useful, I don't get why that isn't more of
an option on more gate generators. I wish there was an LFO that could do that as well, ramp up
or down and stay there until I say otherwise.

I upgraded my synth pedalboard:
I had been using a Behringer PB1000 pedalboard/case/PSU to house effect pedals in my Jaspers rack.
Today, a new Harley Benton Spaceship pedalboard arrived. I velcro'ed my pedals and swapped them over.
Advantages:
- no more daisy chained power supply plugs
- better PSU ("isolated, filtered and short-circuit protected")
- more space (enough to add extra holders on my Jaspers rack, yay)
- velcro fastened pedals (better fastening, much easier to swap new pedals in)

I did have to leave one pedal off (a rarely used Behringer Vibrato).

I velcro'ed the PSUs too, on their flanks so they occupy little space and the LEDs remain visible.

Planning to buy an extra pair of Jaspers holders to further secure the board (if 1 holder breaks, the board would drop on the synths below). It's amazing how heavy it becomes, with all the pedals, PSU's and cabling fitted.

This little guy arrived today:

Modular folk, what can you recommend in the way of an 8-channel (flexible on channels) Eurorack mixer. I currently have the Roland 500-531 in my basket but it does seem on the expensive side at €400. That said it does look gorgeous.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_system_500_531.htm

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:44 pm Modular folk, what can you recommend in the way of an 8-channel (flexible on channels) Eurorack mixer. I currently have the Roland 500-531 in my basket but it does seem on the expensive side at €400. That said it does look gorgeous.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_system_500_531.htm
scroll down theres a few more choices, but for 8 inputs with the same functions, cant say ive seen many (if any) and price seems fairly reasonable to me.
but, im useless with money, so may have different ideas of reasonable.

elxsound wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:08 pm This little guy arrived today:

lovely :tu:
this one, i need no hints :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”