Illuminate (Ambient/Cinematic - Seismic Sunrise) and Illuminate2 (hybrid Orchestral/Electronic)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

An arpeggiator walks into a bar. It was reverb night.

On SoundCloud:-

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/illuminate

This is slow and sombre, with a somewhat atmospheric quality.

Cast of characters:-

Recorded/Mixed in EnergyXT2.7
ACE
Arp 2600 V2
Aether
EQuivocate
Satin

Mastered in T-Racks 5
Linear Phase Equalizer
EQP-1A

DR - 12

Somewhere, a sun is rising

UPDATED: 20200815

It's possibly not ambient in any traditional sense, but here is my re-working of Illuminate using a hybrid orchestral/synthetic combo

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/illu ... ks5twinkle

Recorded/Mixed in EnergyXT2.7

ARP2600V2
BBC Symphony Orchestra
LABS Choir
Aether
EQuivocate
Satin

Mastered in T-Racks 5
Linear Phase Equalizer
EQP-1A

DR - 13

EDIT: 20230920 I have re-mastered the track in T-Racks5, but changes were very minor, resulting in a very slightly louder volume. This is ready for an forthcoming album release.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/illu ... ks5-master

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

ACE
Arp 2600 V2
Aether
EQuivocate
Satin
Linear Phase Equalizer
EQP-1A

DR - 12

EDIT: 20231002 I have remixed and mastered Illuminate2 (now re-titled). The only changes were EQ-related and of quite a minor nature. This will be a "bonus" track on the upcoming album.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/illu ... ks5-master

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

ARP2600V2
BBC Symphony Orchestra
LABS Choir
Aether
EQuivocate
Satin
Linear Phase Equalizer
EQP-1A

DR - 13
Last edited by seismic1 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I love that dark, brooding tension. It reminds me of some of the song intros on OMD's "Organization" album. Lovely piece. :tu:

nice
i like it

Amazing textural sound on that synth when it starts kicking up a gear. Your tracks always conjure up a great atmosphere

Lovely work, awesome synth sounds. The crescendo is musically effective, ditto the changes in the bass near the end. Makes me think of how Ravel structured the end of his Bolero.

Anyway, I agree with hotmitts, I like it too.

Best,

dp

seismic1 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:59 pm An arpeggiator walks into a bar. It was reverb night.
:clap:

A piece of constantly evolving ambience with a sinister touch. Film music quality all in all. Nicely done - good work!

Erisian wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:15 pm I love that dark, brooding tension. It reminds me of some of the song intros on OMD's "Organization" album. Lovely piece. :tu:
"Dark, brooding tension" seems to be the place where I live lately. I blame the folks at Ambient Online :D

Organisation - Now you're showing your age. The first OMD record I bought was "Electricity". I think it was in Virgin's Croydon store in '79. I seem to remember that it was part of a 2 for 1 offer.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

deliberate and well crafted ...
the pads are ultra-lush , tenuously anchored by the minimal bass motif ...

:clap:

hotmitts wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:51 am nice
i like it
Thanks very much for checking this out, hotmitts. Glad you liked it :)

frank1985 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:47 pm Amazing textural sound on that synth when it starts kicking up a gear. Your tracks always conjure up a great atmosphere
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and for the lovely comments. Glad you liked it :)

The bass is ACE, as is the "string" synth throughout the track. Both of them are "factory" patches with no modification (as far as I can remember). The synth that comes in at approx. 5 minutes is a factory arpeggiated patch from ARP2600 V2, but after Aether has done its work, it's completely unrecognisable.
Last edited by seismic1 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

seismic1 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:44 am
frank1985 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:47 pm Amazing textural sound on that synth when it starts kicking up a gear. Your tracks always conjure up a great atmosphere
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and for the lovely comments. Glad you liked it :)

The bass is ACE, as is the "string" synth throughout the track. Both of them are "factory" patches with no midification (as far as I can remember). The synth that comes in at approx. 5 minutes is a factory arpeggiated patch from ARP2600 V2, but after Aether has done its work, it's completely unrecognisable.
Regarding the arp.. is that hardware or are you using the arturia version? I’ve been deliberating the Arturia collection for a while. Seems to offer a lot more control than my sample Kontakt libs. Aether sounds amazing - think it might replace my pcm90 8) I absolutely hate bouncing through hardware these days, especially for longer ambient tracks.

seismic1 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:59 pm An arpeggiator walks into a bar. It was reverb night.
The barman says: "I'm sorry. We don't serve arpeggiators here."
The arpeggiator says: "No worries. I'm on a DRY setting."

Finally got around to it... Very immersive, mind movie music. I have a love-hate relationship with the ambient genre. On the one hand, I find it's often an excuse for people with next to zero craftsmanship to make something musical by holding down a chord and adding tons of reverb to it. On the other hand, people who know what they're doing can craft something truly memorable within the (admittedly broad) confines of the genre. This is definitely in the latter category - the development is beautiful, the way optimistic tones slowly blossom in the darkness.
Ahh, and Aether - the reverb that can turn Steinberg Neon into a CS 80. :wink:

Great job! :tu:

Beautiful! Really enjoyed this. Nice work Tim :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Return to “Music Cafe”