I need to upgrade my monitors and headphones. advice?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So for years I've been with no monitors. And I've been using a 50$ pair of AKG headphones.

I want to upgrade and I have like 1000$ to do it.

I'm in an untreated room and have been looking around and basically decided on either getting

Iloud micro Monitors (250$ used)
Iloud MTMs (700$)
or
Genelecs 8020 (700$)

The genelecs are used by pros everywhere, and are the same price as MTMs, which is better?

I'm planning on using ARC or sonarworks for now to correct my listening environment somewhat.

For the headphones, I like AKG, and already purchased K701's. (I heard they are very analytical) But I heard I need a amp to run them good. is this true? I have a cheap interface (Steinberg UR12). DO I really need a 200$ amp to run the k701s?

Thanks for any advice. I'm going to try to do some room acoustics too with stuff I have laying around the house, but going to rely on sonarworks the most....

Get some "normal" size nearfield monitors, and treat you room with professional broadband panels.
You have enough budget to do this.

Are you in really small room?

It seems like it, so all of those are good choices, if I were in your shoes I would go for Neumann KH 80 DSP's.

The room.. Is it dedicated to yourself or is it some common use room like bedroom etc?

You don't really have to cash out too much on the first pair of monitors, but definitely treat your room. Might not feel that important, but will definitely make a huge difference.
Take care :wink:

Both of these have no subbass, so good luck producing on them modern pop or electronic music. Just get some cheap full range speakers. That's my advice. KRK are good, but there are many other options in your budget. Even if your room is too small, you can do the final mix and master on your headphones

I'd get the Genelecs and add a sub.

^That's what I did (but had a bigger budget) and I'm happy with the 8020D's. But I think that the OP should rather consider the combo 8010A's (I own these too) plus 7040A sub. That's a really sweet 2.1 system, more capable than just the 8020's.

That MTM has good reviews, but I don't really trust IK...

Kali LP-6s are great. I can hear down to 20 hz no problem. Best $300 you can spend on monitors. Plenty left over for room treatment.

jzero wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:28 am Kali LP-6s are great. I can hear down to 20 hz no problem.
:?

It's true. I've been experimenting with using mid/side eq to make my low-end mono. At the same time, i'm using various HP filters to remove the "unnecessary" rumble. I definitely hear a difference when I Highpass at 30hz. While 8" woofers would illustrate this even better, I swear I can hear the difference.

jzero wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:51 pm It's true. I've been experimenting with using mid/side eq to make my low-end mono. At the same time, i'm using various HP filters to remove the "unnecessary" rumble. I definitely hear a difference when I Highpass at 30hz. While 8" woofers would illustrate this even better, I swear I can hear the difference.
You can hear difference on 4" monitor that goes to 60hz, try running sine wave on 20hz and come back here.

I would upgrade both the interface and monitors, personally. Then headphones, at some point.

Anyway, that’s the way I went about it, and I’m very glad I did.

A little diy treatment would go a long way as well.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:25 pm You can hear difference on 4" monitor that goes to 60hz, try running sine wave on 20hz and come back here.
Kali LP-6s have 6.5"woofers. While they are rated from 45Hz-21kHz , I can hear down to 20hz. Per your suggestion I've confirmed with a sine wave. Of course I had to krank the volume to hear it.

Not that this matters, what matters is that they're great monitors for $150 each... The Kali peops are ex-patriot JBL designers. They know what they're doing.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”