What is a DAW?
2%
Fish
8%

Total votes: 372

RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:33 pm
fuzzlightyear wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:24 pmWhen people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.
The problem is you've been disagreeing with a point that no one made!
I made the point originally that some people disagreed with, that's why we're here remember?

So what's your point? :hihi:
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

fuzzlightyear wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:55 pm
fuzzlightyear wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:24 pmWhen people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.
I made the point originally that some people disagreed with, that's why we're here remember?

Well, you were asked if you thought a brand new laptop with a 10th gen hexacore i7 is slower than a moldy old 2nd gen dual core i5 desktop with built in graphics. And you said, in so many words, yes. Which is patently and demonstrably false. Now everybody I’m sure would agree that desktops will outperform laptops with similar specs, you are seemingly trying to make (and double down on) a claim that all desktops are more powerful than all laptops. Which is ridiculous.

ShawnG wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:08 pm

Well, you were asked if you thought a brand new laptop with a 10th gen hexacore i7 is slower than a moldy old 2nd gen dual core i5 desktop with built in graphics. And you said, in so many words, yes. Which is patently and demonstrably false. Now everybody I’m sure would agree that desktops will outperform laptops with similar specs, you are seemingly trying to make (and double down on) a claim that all desktops are more powerful than all laptops. Which is ridiculous.
That's not the original point, that was a reaction to my point, that you guys have clearly missed. :hihi:

Hint: Goal Post.

Time to move on, make some music...
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

I love DAW's, I have 15 or so, though some of them are out of date, and I no longer care about that.
Having moved to hardware for the most part, the DAW is becoming less important to me so likely
I will only continue to keep a couple of them current, if even that.

That's one thing about hardware and modular in particular, a lot of the stuff you take for granted in the DAW become's largely more performance oriented by necessity, it literally can't work any other way. Things like muting tracks, mixing and fading become paramount to that performance to maintain some musical coherence. You can't just drag stuff around like you can in the DAW. Things become much more mechanical. Personally, I find it pretty interesting and challenging. Of course, you can pre-record stuff, but to me that's less fun, when I can do it in real time with a bitchin cv controlled sampler. Tho that is another challenge in itself. Of course performance happens plenty within the DAW, but to work without one is quite a different and worthwhile experience in this day and age imo.

Sry, I just smoked a fat bowl...

I used to be interested in all hardware setup, but there are several problems/inconveniences for me:
- Noise : I'm not sure I can eliminate it especially if I buy old hardware synths.
- Midi/audio connections and cables headache
- Space: where I can fit all those hardware in my small room?!
- Time consuming to edit and inferior abilities overall.

Not all are cons, especially with hardware you need to know your tools well and that makes you focused more on what you want to do I suppose. Definitely you need to a plan because you need be organised. I don't know, I think this is what I would do anyway.

For now, I'm choosing just one DAW and focus on it. I don't want to be distracted anymore :)

I would say, that personally, I feel that losing the convenience of the DAW is making me a better musician by forcing me to think and to do it on the fly.

...Of course, that's not saying much :lol:

I was solely doing stuff in the box, but I'm now using a mix of hardware and DAW and being able to pipe synth hardware output through VST effects gives way more flexibility IMO, most obvious being I can drop an instance of Fabfilter Pro-G to gate out hardware hum and noise I don't want.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:06 am Sure, the menus are there but what's always been missing is the right mouse button to invoke them. CTRL+Click is a bit ungainly and most Mac users I know rarely, if ever, think to try it to see if there is a menu there, where Windows users are far more likely to. And don't even think about getting a Mac user to try middle mouse button to pan in a 3D viewport. They think that's some kind of voodoo hex magic.
Hmm? you talk to or work around a different kind of user than I do. I've been using Macs since Performer 1.0, and I've a Logitech 7+ button mice for the last 15+ years. Then again, that's typical of most computer users in general, to not be that aware of what the OS or hardware is capable of. It's also honestly a long held stereotype. I would sincerely doubt very many productive users of OS X on this forum for example haven't optimized their system, tweaked things etc.
The trackpads are what most people use these days, multiple gestures that replace things like 3 button mice or my Logitech etc. but so far I'm good with the Performance MX here.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:02 am
BONES wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:06 am Sure, the menus are there but what's always been missing is the right mouse button to invoke them. CTRL+Click is a bit ungainly and most Mac users I know rarely, if ever, think to try it to see if there is a menu there, where Windows users are far more likely to. And don't even think about getting a Mac user to try middle mouse button to pan in a 3D viewport. They think that's some kind of voodoo hex magic.
Hmm? you talk to or work around a different kind of user than I do. I've been using Macs since Performer 1.0, and I've a Logitech 7+ button mice for the last 15+ years. Then again, that's typical of most computer users in general, to not be that aware of what the OS or hardware is capable of. It's also honestly a long held stereotype. I would sincerely doubt very many productive users of OS X on this forum for example haven't optimized their system, tweaked things etc.
The trackpads are what most people use these days, multiple gestures that replace things like 3 button mice or my Logitech etc. but so far I'm good with the Performance MX here.
Also, macs have had right click available even on their magic mouse forever, all you gotta do is enable it in the settings. and the magic mouse's touch scroll is pretty handy for getting around in projects, more so than the standard mouse wheel. I mean I'm a windows guy, generally, but fair is fair.

fuzzlightyear wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:10 pm
ShawnG wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:08 pm

That's not the original point, that was a reaction to my point, that you guys have clearly missed. :hihi:

Hint: Goal Post.

Time to move on, make some music...
Not to flog a dead horse, but you might want to consider not having arguments which solely consist of sweeping generalizations and straw men before condescending to me about goal posts. It's the internet, not Harvard debate club, so I can cut you some slack.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:02 amThe trackpads are what most people use these days, multiple gestures that replace things like 3 button mice or my Logitech etc. but so far I'm good with the Performance MX here.
That, right there, shows how brainless people are. Trackpads suck because a) they don't map 1:1 to the screen and b) their position relative to the keyboard and screen is fixed. Try using a damned trackpad on a tray table in economy, it's a freakin' nightmare, especially if you want to do two or three finger gestures.

I work with people who mostly use Wacom tablets. That said, when I started here in 2016, I was the only person in the department who used a mouse but today around half of us are mouse users. Actually, I just had a look and there are only 9 Wacoms out of 20 workstations, so it's gone from 100% to less than 50% in 4 or 5 years. I think some of the people didn't want to be seen as "lesser" artists by choosing a mouse over a tablet but the reality is that very little of our work involves drawing, so the tablets mostly just get in the way. As soon as people realised someone else was using a mouse they all started ditching their tablets. The unused Wacoms are stacked on a shelf in the office, gathering dust. Nobody uses a trackpad here.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:42 am
machinesworking wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:02 amThe trackpads are what most people use these days, multiple gestures that replace things like 3 button mice or my Logitech etc. but so far I'm good with the Performance MX here.
That, right there, shows how brainless people are. Trackpads suck because a) they don't map 1:1 to the screen and b) their position relative to the keyboard and screen is fixed. Try using a damned trackpad on a tray table in economy, it's a freakin' nightmare, especially if you want to do two or three finger gestures.
Eh? the Apple trackpad with the desktop was what I was referring to. It's pretty big actually.

Same with the trackpads on their laptops. If we're talking PC laptops, yeah I agree, most of them suck. I'm sure someone has done it right, but I would bet gestures on OS X are more integrated.

Basically I'm with you, I use mice, but trackpads at least on OS X with MacBooks have come a long way. I can see why someone would use it.

Again, you demonstrate stereotypical Apple moronic behaviour - "I would bet gestures on OS X are more integrated". What would that be based upon? It may have escaped your notice but macOS is the poor cousin to iOS. It wouldn't surprise me if Windows had 10 times more people working on it. But I'm sure Apple dev are easily 10 times better, right? That's why the upgrade to Catalina went so smoothly for absolutely every macOS user, I'm sure.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

pekbro wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:57 am I would say, that personally, I feel that losing the convenience of the DAW is making me a better musician by forcing me to think and to do it on the fly.

...Of course, that's not saying much :lol:
I'm not sure if you've ever played any sports, but there is a thing called the "zone". Which is a state of mind, body and soul that is hyper-focused on the task at hand. And by one's talent, skill, training and experience, they are able to effortlessly with muscle memory do something extraordinary.

This also happens when making music, it's a total different perspective, approach and feeling entirely. You are actually training yourself for improvisation, creative flow... the ZONE.

Most people will never experience this feeling in their lifetime, sad but true.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”