Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

Digivolt wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:22 pm I would like that if I drop a instrument onto a folder, it would add the instrument into the f**king folder and give it the folders assigned colour code, NOT like it does now by adding it above the folder with a random colour and making me drag it down :x
Just open the folder track and insert the instrument between existing tracks. Or drag it wherever and once new track is created drag it on top of the folder track.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:18 am
Digivolt wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:22 pm I would like that if I drop a instrument onto a folder, it would add the instrument into the f**king folder and give it the folders assigned colour code, NOT like it does now by adding it above the folder with a random colour and making me drag it down :x
Just open the folder track and insert the instrument between existing tracks. Or drag it wherever and once new track is created drag it on top of the folder track.
It's not the same, I just want to drag onto the folder and it goes in, like I said it's little things like this that separate good from excellent, at least in my opinion

Another thing I'd like to see is being able to route FX sends into other FX sends like you can do with channels

I can only route an FX into another FX by clicking on "main" which doesn't allow me to control how much to send, it's either all or nothing :neutral: would be nice if they had the "sends" option on the actual sends so we had the choice

Digivolt wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:43 am
It's not the same, I just want to drag onto the folder and it goes in, like I said it's little things like this that separate good from excellent, at least in my opinion

Another thing I'd like to see is being able to route FX sends into other FX sends like you can do with channels

I can only route an FX into another FX by clicking on "main" which doesn't allow me to control how much to send, it's either all or nothing :neutral: would be nice if they had the "sends" option on the actual sends so we had the choice
Use a Bus instead of an FX track.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 pm

Use a Bus instead of an FX track.
Yep, I use busses as well for send FX tracks. This accomplishes the same thing but with more flexibility. Maybe in the next update/upgrade Presonus will allow FX tracks to send to other FX tracks.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

That's because you're not considering one thing - in S1 you can drag instrument on existing track and combine it with one that's already there to create Multi-Instrument. If folder track isn't unfolded, there's no way S1 would know whether you want to add new track or merge it to existing instrument. I'm not aware of any "excellent" DAW that offers this?

And really, you can assign shortcut to unfold folder track ("Expand Folder Track") so left hand does that while right drags in the instrument. It's really a non-issue :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:11 pm And really, you can assign shortcut to unfold folder track ("Expand Folder Track") so left hand does that while right drags in the instrument. It's really a non-issue :)
What you're saying equates to somebody saying they want to wear a certain pair of shoes and somebody else saying, wear these shoes instead

So yes it is an issue to me and my workflow, it might not be for you if you enjoy jumping through hoops but I prefer simplicity and not needing more steps to do something that should really be 1 single step

Digivolt wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:17 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:11 pm And really, you can assign shortcut to unfold folder track ("Expand Folder Track") so left hand does that while right drags in the instrument. It's really a non-issue :)
What you're saying equates to somebody saying they want to wear a certain pair of shoes and somebody else saying, wear these shoes instead

So yes it is an issue to me and my workflow, it might not be for you if you enjoy jumping through hoops but I prefer simplicity and not needing more steps to do something that should really be 1 single step
No, that's a stupid analogy. You can wear the shoes you want, but you can't jumpt into them and instead have to sit down and put them on like a normal person ;) :P
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:24 pm
Digivolt wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:17 pm

No, that's a stupid analogy. You can wear the shoes you want, but you can't jumpt into them and instead have to sit down and put them on like a normal person ;) :P
LOl. That's a perfect analogy ( I meant yours not the original one in case that wasn't clear).
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

CTC-1 is on sale for 50% off until the 7th. 8)

jamcat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:33 pm Here is a link to a cool manual that explains the signal flow of the Mix FX that I found on the Presonus forum. 8)

Mix FX and Console Plugins Explained

I think the MixFX are one of the most underutilized, underhyped, and underappreciated features of Studio One.

Entire other DAWs like Harrison MixBus are built around this type of thing as their centerpiece and sole reason for existing. But Presonus is like :shrug:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Version 4.6.2 released today.
● Improved ARA chord integration (Melodyne 5 compatibility)
● Added Quantum 2626 Device Template
& various fixes.

Version 4.6.2 Release Notes (June 3, 2020):
Please note: Studio One 4.6.x will be the final version supporting Windows 7 / 8 and macOS 10.11 El Capitan / 10.12 Sierra.

New features and improvements:
● Improved ARA chord integration (Melodyne 5 compatibility)
● Added Quantum 2626 Device Template Fixes:
● [Ampire] Audible pop on instantiation
● [Ampire] Loud click when switching thru Wah models
● [Melodyne] Crash when using "Copy Song Data to Note Assignment"
● [Presence XT] Sample start modulation shifts loop start as well
● [Windows] Slow redraw moving less than 51 items
● [Windows] Crash on duplicating / moving / replacing arranger sections
● [Windows] Fat Channel Plug-ins not working on certain systems
● Multi Instruments w/ NoteFX missing Fader/Inserts when recalled
● Pattern Part "Variations" are not recalled correctly
● Automation not responding on scroll wheel in Pattern Melodic Mode
● Menu item "Assign in ascending order" should not appear pipeline's port menus
● Redraw problems in Scratchpad timeline
● Potential crash on playback when an audio event has an invalid length or offset
● "Tab to Transients" doesn't work in .multitrack files
● VST2 plugins do not report key switches

So no version 5 yet. :(
Tho it's highly appreciated their commitment to bug fixing.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:15 am So no version 5 yet. :(
Tho it's highly appreciated their commitment to bug fixing.
My sentiments as well... Looks like I will spend my money elsewhere... :wink:
Coronal Winds Radio - Tune In!
Remember, what you believe doesn't rewrite reality.

jamcat wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:07 am CTC-1 is on sale for 50% off until the 7th. 8)

jamcat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:33 pm Here is a link to a cool manual that explains the signal flow of the Mix FX that I found on the Presonus forum. 8)

I think the MixFX are one of the most underutilized, underhyped, and underappreciated features of Studio One.

Entire other DAWs like Harrison MixBus are built around this type of thing as their centerpiece and sole reason for existing. But Presonus is like :shrug:
How does it compare to Waves NLS?

k

soulata wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:06 pm
jamcat wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:07 am CTC-1 is on sale for 50% off until the 7th. 8)

How does it compare to Waves NLS?

k
Waves NLS seems to be just like Slate Digital VCC, which I have. These plugins essentially model channel strip behaviour and feed in some cross-talk across plugin instances. You can place the plugin where you want the cross-talk injected in each track's plugin chain (after ampsims, for example.) You are still mixing with your DAW's linear mix engine, though, as far as I can tell.

CTC-1 actually replaces Studio One's standard linear DAW mix engine with a non-linear analog summing model. Because it's integrated into Studio One itself, it can do things that normal summing plugins can't, like taking into account the proximity of the channels to each other when modeling crosstalk, and it removes the linear mix engine from the signal path completely, which is something normal plugins can't do. The CTC-1 process is layered, happening at various stages throughout the signal path. It's not just an effect, it's like a whole new mix.

I'm pretty happy with CTC-1. It does something profound and multi-dimensional to the mix on a very deep level. It just pumps everything up in the mix, making it more focused and present and in your face, but also more clarity, depth and cohesion and more "glued" together. I can just say it "finishes" the mix in a way that I've never been able to do with VCC or other standard plugins before. And it happens instantly when you load it in the Mix FX slot, no fussing about with loading a million plugins and routing them to a master mixbuss plugin. Also, the CPU hit from CTC-1 is surprisingly light compared to what Slate (and I assume Waves) does.

But, unlike Waves, Presonus doesn't give you an SSL model (WHY!?) They give you an EMI desk from Abbey Road (REDD), but not Mike Hedges' EMI desk from Abbey Road (TG12345 MK IV). Waves NLS is on sale for $29.99 right now, so just get them both and decide which you like best.

Direct comparisons of the Neve models (CTC-1 Classic vs. NLS Nevo) and EMI models (CTC-1 Tube vs. NLS Mike) would be interesting.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”