Quanta - A new granular synth from Audio Damage (Now available)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Quanta 2

I really try hard to like Quanta cause I have the strong impression that this synth is quite a capable and decent granular instrument. But man.. it´s still clicky like hell, even after the latest update..!

The clicking is intentional, and is only present in certain envelope shapes. It's all explained in the manual.

enCiphered wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 pm I really try hard to like Quanta cause I have the strong impression that this synth is quite a capable and decent granular instrument. But man.. it´s still clicky like hell, even after the latest update..!
Except when choosing a few grain shapes that are rougher sounding, it's buttery smooth here with massive grain clouds & pads without clicks.

One thing I don't like though about Quanta is the poor waveform display of the sample. It looks nice, very slick and stylized yeah but for precise surgical work it's very far from being convenient and effective. It's very difficult to pin point a very precise area in the sample with that minimalist stylized display. Some of you think that too or I'm tripping?

I'd really like to have 2 choices of display, the stylized one for those who like that and the real rendered one for surgical scrubbing work into the sample.

Granular with unison sounds pretty interesting.

Sinthoid wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:29 pm The clicking is intentional, and is only present in certain envelope shapes. It's all explained in the manual.
Is this what you mean? "Rectangle - no shaping at all, just instant on, instant off, with full signal amplitude. Yes, this will
almost certainly create clicks in the resulting audio. Sometimes clicks are what you want.
Triangle - a linear ramp from zero to maximum, followed immediately by a linear ramp back to zero.
This creates smooth grains without clicks, but with a somewhat attenuated level. This shape
can be useful if you're using many grains at once.
Trapezoid - like a rectangle, but with short linear ramps at the ends. This shape is a compromise
between the full-signal level of a rectangular envelope and the smoothness of a triangular
envelope.
Sine Squared - created by multiplying the mathematical sine function by itself, this is like a triangle
with the corners rounded off. It is click-free and has a slightly higher signal level than the
triangle envelope."

v 1.1.7 has been released for iOS
looks quite nice imho
way better/easier preset browser

according to their twitterpage, desktop versions are comming on wednesday

muki wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:15 pm v 1.1.7 has been released for iOS
looks quite nice imho
way better/easier preset browser

according to their twitterpage, desktop versions are comming on wednesday
I hope they have improved the browser for those too - the current one is a pain to use.

yes, i hope too - fingers crossed

Received an email from AD.

Quanta desktop has been updated.

I bought it from PB but they do not have it on their site yet. What's new?
Neon Breath wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:53 pm Received an email from AD.

Quanta desktop has been updated.

RobertH2 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:52 pm I bought it from PB but they do not have it on their site yet. What's new?
CHANGES IN V1.1.8

New:

> We have replaced the original Quanta preset manager with the New Hotness we created for Phosphor, and subsequently added to Continua. This is a much better preset manager, and you now have three layers of folders, and are able to move things around and create your own top-level folders if you want. 

> All versions now have the on-screen keyboard that was originally only in the iOS standalone.

Fixes:

> The preset folder move script that was introduced in the macOS installer for v1.1.2 has been removed. It was, quite literally, far more trouble than it was worth. On macOS, Quanta's preset folder is now in ~/Music/Audio Damage. If you see the "Download Factory Content" button on an update, you didn't install the last two versions, so the preset folder location has been moved. You can either grab the factory content again, or physically move your original preset folder to the new location. (You can find the original in /Application Support/Audio Damage. Just move the entire /Quanta folder to ~/Music/Audio Damage.) 

>Additionally, the signing problems that started cropping up in V1.1 have been entirely solved. Hopefully. We think. If you're still experiencing Gatekeeper issues, an old certificate is hanging around, and the solution is to delete all versions of Quanta, re-scan in your host (to clear the cache if it has one), and then install this version. 

> One for the Windows people, and not a "fix" as such: we have discovered a problem with HiDpi scaling in Live (and maybe other hosts). If you're running on a HiDpi system with the auto-scaling off, the drop target is not correctly scaled. We don't know if this is a bug in JUCE or a bug in Live. The drop target is still there. It is just much smaller than it should be, and resides in the lower right hand corner of the waveform display. The short-term solution is to either drop in the lower right hand corner (you'll be able to tell you're in the right place because you'll get that lit-up surround) or to turn on auto-scaling for Quanta. Then the target will be its correct size. We've pinged both the JUCE people and Live for an answer on this.

> Many small bug fixes and optimizations, as usual.

thanks

PB does not have the update yet...

Neon Breath wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:27 pm
RobertH2 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:52 pm I bought it from PB but they do not have it on their site yet. What's new?
CHANGES IN V1.1.8

New:

> We have replaced the original Quanta preset manager with the New Hotness we created for Phosphor, and subsequently added to Continua. This is a much better preset manager, and you now have three layers of folders, and are able to move things around and create your own top-level folders if you want. 

> All versions now have the on-screen keyboard that was originally only in the iOS standalone.

Fixes:

> The preset folder move script that was introduced in the macOS installer for v1.1.2 has been removed. It was, quite literally, far more trouble than it was worth. On macOS, Quanta's preset folder is now in ~/Music/Audio Damage. If you see the "Download Factory Content" button on an update, you didn't install the last two versions, so the preset folder location has been moved. You can either grab the factory content again, or physically move your original preset folder to the new location. (You can find the original in /Application Support/Audio Damage. Just move the entire /Quanta folder to ~/Music/Audio Damage.) 

>Additionally, the signing problems that started cropping up in V1.1 have been entirely solved. Hopefully. We think. If you're still experiencing Gatekeeper issues, an old certificate is hanging around, and the solution is to delete all versions of Quanta, re-scan in your host (to clear the cache if it has one), and then install this version. 

> One for the Windows people, and not a "fix" as such: we have discovered a problem with HiDpi scaling in Live (and maybe other hosts). If you're running on a HiDpi system with the auto-scaling off, the drop target is not correctly scaled. We don't know if this is a bug in JUCE or a bug in Live. The drop target is still there. It is just much smaller than it should be, and resides in the lower right hand corner of the waveform display. The short-term solution is to either drop in the lower right hand corner (you'll be able to tell you're in the right place because you'll get that lit-up surround) or to turn on auto-scaling for Quanta. Then the target will be its correct size. We've pinged both the JUCE people and Live for an answer on this.

> Many small bug fixes and optimizations, as usual.
Thank you so much Neon Breath!

thanks neon

v1.1.8 is now on PB too

Return to “Instruments”