Best mouse and keyboard for musicproduction

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good keyboard and mouse under budget for keyboard and mouse for music production?
My budget should be around $100.

Thanks

Do you mean computer keyboard or piano keyboard?

There's really no "best", they're just input devices so it's a matter of personal preference. Some like a big chunky mouse with lots of buttons, others prefer a trackball to save space. Same with keyboards, a compact wireless keyboard might be ideal in a cramped studio, while a big heavy mechanical keyboard might work for others.

I use trackball to save space... but also wrists. That turned out to be an issue when I tried to learn playing keys and do some workout as well.

As to keyboard - it's up to your personal preferences. At low price range you're not going to get anything fancy with extra features, so focus on ergonomics.

If I picked a keyboard today, I'd choose a small one with no numpad - no use for it, but it takes precious space on the desk.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Best keyboard (mechanical cherry switches )
-Filco ( pricey but these will last a lifetime )
also verry good
-Ducky one , can be had for around 100 euro
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

one where the cat doesn't keep pissing about with the spacebar while im trying to record would be nice :x

I found that gaming keyboards with programmable macro keys on the left side are actually very useful in a DAW.
It's possible to configure these macro keys to open/close different windows per application.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:11 pm If I picked a keyboard today, I'd choose a small one with no numpad - no use for it, but it takes precious space on the desk.
I picked up a cheap, small BenQ keyboard for that reason. I think it's more than 10 years old now, still going strong ... I used to really like my Logitech mouse, it had a really comfortable feel, but stopped working properly after 10 years or so. I think the pair cost less than £50, so no complaints

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESVLW0O/re ... 2EbTDNRG04

How about this one for mouse?
Trackball seems interesting but I'm a little afraid to get it since I have never used it.
Is trackable more ergonomic and friendly to use.

Btw the daw I'm using is cubase

vignesh.vijay wrote:My budget should be around $100.
I can't remember ever paying more than a tenner for a (wireless) mouse. The standard ones with two buttons and wheel in the middle. No complaints, does what it says on the can :shrug:
vignesh.vijay wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:00 am Is trackable more ergonomic and friendly to use.
That depends. The few times I tried a trackball, I really hated it. It's not for me. But some colleagues of mine cannot work with a mouse anymore due to RSI and switched to trackballs or other pointing devices. But shitloads of other people manage with a mouse without any complaints. So it's about how you hold and handle it. If you use the wrong muscles, it's going to be painful.

But I can hardly imagine you're not using a mouse right now. Or laptop with trackpad or nipple in the middle of the keyboard?
vignesh.vijay wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:00 amBtw the daw I'm using is cubase
That's probably not very relevant. Although, in some hosts about any action can be performed with keyboard shortcuts. Those are in general faster than mouse-driven actions.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

roman.i wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:42 pm I found that gaming keyboards with programmable macro keys on the left side are actually very useful in a DAW.
It's possible to configure these macro keys to open/close different windows per application.
That's a great idea actually, never crossed my mind... I have a Logitech G110 gaming keyboard with a couple of macro keys on the left side.

BTW, I wished more DAW's would support transport control via the media keys. The only one which I tried which supported that was Reaper IIRC.

I like trackballs for some use but do not use them enough to get real adept at it. Would come with practice depending on one's preference and aptitudes.

I have a logitech wireless trackball similar to the linked model, think maybe $40 or less on amazon a few years ago. Maybe I would use it for other stuff, but its main dedicated usage, why I got it-- I have a real old slow laptop that is setup on a shelf of my 6 foot tall 19" rack, sitting right below a Behringer XR18, 18 input rackmount digital mixer. The mixer doesn't have any knobs at all except the headphone volume knob.

So the mixer is hooked to the main desktop computer via USB for audio interface, and hooked to the pitiful old slow laptop via ethernet cable to adjust the mixer. The Mixer control program is the only thing the little laptop runs. I don't need to adjust the mixer very often and the laptop is typically asleep except when I need to change a mixer setting. So I use the logitech wireless trackball to most conveniently control the laptop running the mixer control program when needed. There is no convenient surface near the laptop for a mouse and it is set up a little low in the rack to conveniently use the keyboard and trackpad, Have to bend over too far to reach it. It is folded way back so the screen is "slightly below eye level" but the keyboard is much farther down.

So I keep the trackball sitting on the panel of my 88 key controller, near the right side near the rack. Whenever I want to adjust the mixer via the laptop, it is convenient to just pickup the trackball and set it on my leg long enough to mouse around on the laptop, then put the trackball back in its storage space on top of the 88 key controller. Trackball works fine for that use, mousing in the lap when there is no convenient surface to use for a mouse.

I have to be a little careful tho. If I drop the logitech trackball the ball usually pops out and goes rolling around the floor and possibly could roll under something big and heavy. :) I've dropped it several times and it hasn't broken yet.

I don't think there's much need for expensive keyboards and mice for production. You really can do all of your work on pretty much anything. I guess the only debate would be if you like a trackball mouse or a regular one. But even going for $100 seems somewhat excessive - unless you want a wireless setup or a mechanical keyboard. Mechanical keyboards are great if you care for them, but they won't really enhance much if you don't.

Logitech has really competent products if you're looking for a wireless setup though.
Take care :wink:

in general, I'd always choose a wireless mouse. Keyboard is fine, wired, but, with mice, I find it pretty restricting to mess with a cable. All my mice are wireless now. Much more flexible that way.

Agreed logitech wireless is cheap and good. It uses a thumbnail sized usb receiver which can work simultaneous with multiple controllers.

My favorite logitech wireless keyboard is the little one with a trackpad on the right where you would expect numkeys. It is small enough to put on top of a synth or music stand or in yer lap and if you get along with trackpads then you do not need a mouse.

With just one receiver yoi could use the trackpad wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse and a wireless trackball. The pad, mouse and trackball cooperate perfectly.

Yoi can use the trackpad for awhile then pick up the mouse then switch to the trackball and then back to thr trackpad in the keyboard. The mouse cursor obediently follows whichever one you happen to be using.

Different tasks seem better suited to different controllers so it could be nice to instantly switch to whatever is best tool for the job.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”