Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OrangeSlices wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 pm is this out in June or what?
That is looking extremely likely. Unless it's July or later.

fmr wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:59 pm See? It's not a matter of being better - it's a matter of personal taste. That's why I doubt one could be said to be "better" than another. They will certainly have their differences - but that's pretty much it. Those of you who seek for "the perfect emulation"... stop believing in Santa, please :hihi:
Just cause, what else is there to talk about? And I've been stuck in the house too long anyway...

But you having a personal preference does make it "better" for you. You only experience the world through your senses, so if your ears say "hey, OBsession sounds better to us" then it's better. To you. Doesn't make it one of the laws of physics that applicable to all people and everything in the universe, but it's better to you, the only person that your perceive sound through the ears of.

But when you say stuff like "I doubt it will be better" having never even heard it, that says that you're not even allowing yourself to give it a fair chance. And that came across as a pro-Arturia bias. That's all.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:07 pm
OrangeSlices wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 pm is this out in June or what?
That is looking extremely likely. Unless it's July or later.
I'll add: definitely not before June. Unless we're talking 2021.

idiots.

anyway. this OB-Xa V demo sounds pretty rad to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3CE7GUo3aQ

I hope Richard figures this out quick, because the GAS is real.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:10 pm But when you say stuff like "I doubt it will be better" having never even heard it, that says that you're not even allowing yourself to give it a fair chance. And that came across as a pro-Arturia bias. That's all.
Are you being stubborn, or is it my fault because I'm not explaining myself well? :o

I'm not being biased. I said, and I repeat - it's a matter of taste. And I also gave the example of apples. To me, an apple is an apple. I don't have a favorite kind of apple. If it's juicy and tastes good, I like it. And I don't like one more than the other.

So, I DOUBT IT WILL BE BETTER. And I doubt it because, when we reach a certain degree of quality, things are no longer "better", but simply different, "more to my taste because of this or that". I'm sure it will sound good, and I may very well like the way it sounds. I may even consider buying it, if I am offered a good deal. But I DOUBT IT WILL BE BETTER - is this clarified now?

What I don't say is that "I deleted OB-Xa V because I didn't like it" (I sincerely doubt it did sound THAT BAD to anyone that is in good faith - only someone highly biased could make a statement like that), and also would never say that I'm sure SOMETHING I DIDN'T EVEN HEARD YET will be MUCH BETTER, or that Synapse is in a different platform. That's being totaly unfair. But hey... it's KVR - I've watched Arturia being completely dragged to the mud for much less not so long ago :shrug:

See? I don't bash anyone. I don't need to. :shrug: Only people who feel unsecure feel the urge to bash competition. :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

I really didn't like the OB-Xa V personally. At all. Like thought it sounded like Pro-53 era VSTi's (from what I recall of that era). And I really really like several of their other newer instruments. Just thought that one was a big swing and a miss personally. Good faith opinion. Not a Synapse tester. Not an Arturia tester. Woulda bought it for $50 on day one if it sounded good to me. I really think it was THAT BAD and I don't beat up on on Arturia here or anywhere else. I judge each product on its own merits.

Even yes, tried programming it from scratch. Just was not feeling anything about it. Not even a little. :shrug:

Love my Audiofuse, was using my Drumbrute last night, really like their Farfisa, Continental, CZ, DX, Buchla, Synthi, CMI and Synclaver. Pigments is cool and a really interesting step. But then I also really don't like their B3, Wurlitzer, piano, and melotron either. Sometimes they just really miss the mark for me. Don't know what it is.

I hope that's not considered bashing. I certainly own and really like enough of their stuff that I think anyone could take that as a fair assessment. So yeah, looking forward to OBsession. Hope it's better.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think "better" in this case could be meant as closest to the hardware. And that will be for everyone to judge but I do think The Legend vs The Mini V is not a bad reference with which to make a guess.

And actually it's nothing against the OB-Xa that I deleted it so quickly. It was just clear to me that it did not wow me enough to have in addition to what I already have. And it was just kind of more Arturia. For ME. I find the Synapse one more pleasing personally and I believe it to be closer to the hardware from what I hear on youtube videos.

Actually, if they got the filter a bit better, the Arturia OB-Xa would be very good. I think that's the area where all the Arturia synths just don't cut it. Maybe with the next iteration.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:42 pm Actually, if they got the filter a bit better, the Arturia OB-Xa would be very good. I think that's the area where all the Arturia synths just don't cut it. Maybe with the next iteration.
And here we go again. Maybe we should contact Tom Oberheim to build a new OB-Xa with a better filter, and then Arturia would model that "better" filter, and this way have a "better" filter in their emulation :roll: Geesh...
Fernando (FMR)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 pm I think "better" in this case could be meant as closest to the hardware. And that will be for everyone to judge but I do think The Legend vs The Mini V is not a bad reference with which to make a guess.
Actually, it is a very BAD reference. Do you know how many years separate one release from the other? The Mini V was the third Arturia emulation, right after the Modular and the CS-80. It was like almost 20 years ago, if memory serves me well. And did you compare the CPU taxing of one vs the other? How many instances of The Legend can you run, compared to how many instances of Mini V?

All these are details that MATTER...
Last edited by fmr on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:55 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:42 pm Actually, if they got the filter a bit better, the Arturia OB-Xa would be very good. I think that's the area where all the Arturia synths just don't cut it. Maybe with the next iteration.
And here we go again. Maybe we should contact Tom Oberheim to build a new OB-Xa with a better filter, and then Arturia would model that "better" filter, and this way have a "better" filter in their emulation :roll: Geesh...
It always surprises me again how insulted you get when someone says the synth from your favorite company is good, and even could be very good if it wasn't for the filter. :)

chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:59 pm
fmr wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:55 pm
It always surprises me again how insulted you get when someone says the synth from your favorite company is good, and even could be very good if it wasn't for the filter. :)
First of all, it's not "my favorite company". It is "one of my favorite companies". I have several favorites, believe it or not.
Fernando (FMR)

Well... if it cheers you up, I'm just a single guy on the internet. Who coincidentally shares his opinion with several other people, among them people who already tried out both synths. But, that's all irrelevant, what's relevant for you is what you think.

As I mentioned though, I actually like the Arturia emu. I just think it misses that last bit which makes the filter sound more analog authentic. It's a issue with many, many soft synths for me.
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We can compare the Arturia with Synapse version once the latter is out. Do a proper blind test etc, to determine how much of difference there is. I too like speculating things very often, but we're closing so close to the release date (assuming it's not delayed to July), that we should just patiently wait and do the test when it's out.

fmr wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:57 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 pm I think "better" in this case could be meant as closest to the hardware. And that will be for everyone to judge but I do think The Legend vs The Mini V is not a bad reference with which to make a guess.
Actually, it is a very BAD reference. Do you know how many years separate one release from the other? The Mini V was the third Arturia emulation, right after the Modular and the CS-80. It was like almost 20 years ago, if memory serves me well. And did you compare the CPU taxing of one vs the other? How many instances of The Legend can you run, compared to how many instances of Mini V?

All these are details that MATTER...
I am aware of how old the Mini V is, however it has had improved filters not long ago. I don't think the Mini V is a bad synth. Actually it's one of my favorites, if not my favorite, Arturia Synth (besides Pigments). And I'm saying that having compared Obsession and OB-Xa, as well as The Legend vs Mini V, I think it IS a fairly similar comparison.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”