Syntronik, what do they tell me about?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:00 pm The filters are modeled and not from SampleTank. Syntronik also adds DRIFT™ technology to accurately reproduce the behavior of oscillators from real hardware synths so they are not just static samples.
interesting! if the workflow were a little faster, or if you could only change the oscillators, even if sampled in an agile way, it would be an even more incredible tool!

Good to know. It sounds perfectly acceptable to me. Maybe that drift technology is making the difference.

One of the nicest things about Syntronik, IMO, is it’s effects section. Instead of the usual fairly generic styles of effects that come with a lot of synths, emulations included, it comes with very interesting modeled effects that sound very good to me. Of course this is expected from the people who gave us Amplitube and all the T-Racks effects.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:43 pm One of the nicest things about Syntronik, IMO, is it’s effects section. Instead of the usual fairly generic styles of effects that come with a lot of synths, emulations included, it comes with very interesting modeled effects that sound very good to me. Of course this is expected from the people who gave us Amplitube and all the T-Racks effects.
yes they are good. The reverberations and delays are amazing. They make simple patches into very interesting things.

ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:28 pm Well, Syntronik isn’t a true synthesizer in the strict sense of the word, or an emulation. It’s an extensive sample library of classic synths combined with a generic synth engine which has multiple guis that look like the synths that have been sampled. A classic synth rompler, as it were, with some added control. I like Syntronik, But it is not the same sort of product as Arturia is making. The filter for instance is one of sampletank’s filters, not one that is modeled after specific hardware. Compare Syntronik more with the UVI synth vault or products like that.
Just to clarify in more detail on this. The Syntronik filters model the original analog hardware units, and those modeled filters were also included in SampleTank 4 which was released after Syntronik. They are absolutely NOT generic SampleTank filters.

ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:40 pm It’s made from recordings of the real thing, so in general it sounds spot on. But only for static sounds, if you use the filter for sweeps and such, it’ll sound less authentic than a modeled synth.
On this specifically, too: The Syntronik filters are modeled just like the Arturia and other modeling VIs. A sweeping Syntronik filter is as authentic as any modeled filter, and we think ours actually sound more authentic. It is only the oscillators that are sampled, and that is what makes Syntronik sound more like the original hardware synths than a totally modeled signal path. It sounds like the original hardware oscillators because it *is* the original oscillators.

raiderpdog wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:12 pm btw Peter, do you know if any synth additions are being planned to Syntronik in the future? Or is it done as is?
Yes there are new synths already in the works.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:51 am
ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:40 pm It’s made from recordings of the real thing, so in general it sounds spot on. But only for static sounds, if you use the filter for sweeps and such, it’ll sound less authentic than a modeled synth.
On this specifically, too: The Syntronik filters are modeled just like the Arturia and other modeling VIs. A sweeping Syntronik filter is as authentic as any modeled filter, and we think ours actually sound more authentic. It is only the oscillators that are sampled, and that is what makes Syntronik sound more like the original hardware synths than a totally modeled signal path. It sounds like the original hardware oscillators because it *is* the original oscillators.
sigh... I copped earlier in this thread to speaking out of my rectum a bit on the sampletank filter comment I made, and I'm happy to do it again. I'm also happy to reiterate what I said earlier as well, which is that I like Syntronik, nothing of what I said was meant to say that the product is bad. On the Contrary, I own it and love it.

But if you've got a 303, or a PPG wave, or an andromeda, is filtering them with a Moog ladder, or Juno, or Oberheim, or Curtis filter authentic? you could easily argue that it sounds better, sure. but in quite a few cases, the filters on offer were never an option on the originals. That is all I meant by that comment.

ShawnG wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:49 am But if you've got a 303, or a PPG wave, or an andromeda, is filtering them with a Moog ladder, or Juno, or Oberheim, or Curtis filter authentic? you could easily argue that it sounds better, sure. but in quite a few cases, the filters on offer were never an option on the originals. That is all I meant by that comment.
Well, filtering the PPG Wave waveforms with the Curtis filter would be authentic for a PPG Wave 2. ;)

Given that its been a coupla years since it came out, I am kinda of surprised it doesnt have a couple of extra filter models by now. Being saved for Syntronik 2 I assume.
Yeah, they should slap in 303, MS20, Wasp and Polivox models, and maybe something new and unique; modern, morphing and eurorack-inspired.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:52 am
raiderpdog wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:12 pm btw Peter, do you know if any synth additions are being planned to Syntronik in the future? Or is it done as is?
:tu:

It sounds pretty good but it's very painful to install - its a long time since I bought it but I seem to recall about 20 separate installers.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:52 am
It would be really great if IK updated the current line of Syntronik instruments in ST4 format. I find that using Syntronik inside of ST4 the filters are a bit smoother, but I would love to put those instruments through the ST4 mod matrix for some added depth.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

I'm considering the Syntronik Deluxe upgrade. For those who have it, how much use are you getting out of the Deluxe synths (VCF3, Memory-V, M-Poly, SH-V, and Modulum)?

telecharge wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:52 pm I'm considering the Syntronik Deluxe upgrade. For those who have it, how much use are you getting out of the Deluxe synths (VCF3, Memory-V, M-Poly, SH-V, and Modulum)?
I got it. For the price of the $29 upgrade, just couldn't say no! :lol:

The VCF3, Memory-V, and M-Poly were worth it for me! The sounds are great!

Not sure if I'll have a use for the last two, but installed them anyway. Might need that analog bass and drums someday!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:50 am Just to clarify in more detail on this. The Syntronik filters model the original analog hardware units, and those modeled filters were also included in SampleTank 4 which was released after Syntronik. They are absolutely NOT generic SampleTank filters.
What Peter should also have mentioned is that the modeled filters are mix and match. That is, if you want a Moog filter on samples from an Oberheim oscillator, for example, you absolutely may do that. I, for one, think the filters sound great, and have distinctive personalities, once you dial in a little resonance.

Return to “Instruments”