About Learning time signatures & rhythm pattern for noobs

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

harryupbabble wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:17 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:55 pm
(I would far rather have a physical book to put on the music stand on my piano).
wowee, you have a piano. and the space for it. is it a white piano?

https://youtu.be/YkgkThdzX-8
some of the keys at least...

Forgotten wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:55 pm
Don’t know if the various Alfred or Hanon books are available as ebooks, but I would recommend the series of physical books (I would far rather have a physical book to put on the music stand on my piano).

Egad Hannon?
That stuff is like watching paint dry.

I love scale pattern playing. Why? because I hear those patterns throughout popular music, jazz and latin (especially bossa) But I rarely if ever hear hannon exercises in melodic content or motifs. The only things I can think of is OMD or the group Madness. Scale patterns are also especially popular in string scores and shredding keyboard (jordan rudess types) and guitar shredding. They are present almost everywhere to a greater or lesser degree.

Most early hannon is simply getting smooth lateral movement and octaves from a keybed. Hannon really doesn't apply to guitar or most stringed instruments.

Hannon doesn't teach an essential foundation that has been the prevalent driving force in popular music for over a hundred years now.

The heart of Rock and Roll is the?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

The heart of Rock and Roll is the beat.
Same with Blues, Swing (It don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing) Jazz, funk, latin, reggae, disco, hip hop, gospel, soul, techno, edm, k-pop and more.

Each have their own unique styles based on "The Beat" for that style. Time signatures, accents straight or lazy 8's or 16ths or triplets rests pickup notes, ties. effective use of pushing and dragging, rubato, free time.

If you really want to play music first decide on what type of music you want to play. The STYLE of music you like. Each style had some foundations on the beat that are the foundation of that style. Focus on something you WANT TO PLAY as opposed to something you think you HAVE TO PLAY. Listen to THE BEAT first. Try to tap, clap, snap or stomp it out.

Personally I'm opposed to metronomes. Metronomes give undue attention to the first beat and don't provide accents. where needed. Simple straight forward unobtrusive drum patterns give a better "feel" for popular music. It's the feel of the beat that matters most. You want to be able to carry the beat. Too much orchestration or complicated rhythms behind you can bury your performance and hide your timing issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEbUNDW9bDA&t=186s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfD7ZN5FYI
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Forgotten wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:55 pmDon’t know if the various Alfred or Hanon books are available as ebooks, but I would recommend the series of physical books (I would far rather have a physical book to put on the music stand on my piano).
msf sadib wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:51 amI'm from Bangladesh.and I don't think I would find :( that sort of physical book in country :( .Any other suggestion?
https://www.hanon-online.com/all-piano-exercises/

Download as pdf for free and print out

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:02 pm Well, for EDM rhytms there is 4/4 "four to the floor" to drive the track, and there are euclidean rhytms. Can't go wrong with these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP1z5hTJoqE

So I followed this tutorial, dropped some 9/16 and 5/16 sequences and here is the resulting track:

https://open.spotify.com/track/2gE5VZ8mBeO9FinUMxLISl

African drums are 16/16 patterns from NI West Africa, with some edits.
Very useful. Thanks.

A good way to start with poly- or cross-rhythm is compound time, ie., a nominator w. the product of 2 x 3. EG: 6/8; vs 3/4. Compound time is generally thought of as a two pulse, but in eg., 6/8 you have 3 quarters as well as 2 dotted quarters, a 3:2. So 4 dotted 8ths in 6/8 is also known as 4:6 (4 in the time of 6), 4 dotted 16ths is 8:6... Et cetera.
(This is called Hemiola, in case anyone would like a search term)

I have to caution taking the NI W. Africa product as any exemplar of African rhythm. Frankly that focus on 16 rather than 12 is a bit of a plot hole.

jancivil wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:16 pm (This is called Hemiola, in case anyone would like a search term)
I did, and it was interesting, cheers.

I'm no expert, but i'm into prog metal, so a lot of the bands I like tend to use polyrhythms and polymeters. First place I would start, is understanding the different between those two. They are often confused It also helps to open a daw if you have one, and change the time signatures around and learn to count them.

For example, if I was counting 4/4, I know it's 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, whereas if I was counting 7/8 which a lot of bands write riffs with, it would be like 4/4 without the last "and". So, 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. That's something that has helped me.

7/8 could be 2+3+2, or 3+2+2, or 2+2+3. Musics which deal extensively in odd numbers tend to break it down to 2s & 3s, Indian Classical, Turkish, Arabic, what-have-you.

my quick-and-dirty for counting something I just picked up is, I know 3/4 is short of 7/8 so I do 1,2,123; 9/8 is 1,2,3,123 etc

IE: 3 1/2, 4 1/2 etc:
1&2&1&cet
1&2&3&1&cet
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jancivil wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:16 pm I have to caution taking the NI W. Africa product as any exemplar of African rhythm. Frankly that focus on 16 rather than 12 is a bit of a plot hole.
No sht.

disappointing product, for me. It also - unlike their India - does not output the sequences as MIDI, it’s all scripted. IE., manipulation of a bunch of audio loops. Kind of like Steinberg Virtual Bassist or that one old YellowTools bass lib.

how ya been

Busy. Life, daughters, friends, work, and gear-chaos until settled...not to speak about Corona and World War III. What bout ya?

brutal year, horrors
I’m ok now because money materialized out of what I believed was nothing

big karmic shift

Return to “Music Theory”