1%
What is a DAW?
2%
Fish
8%

Total votes: 372

RELATED
PRODUCTS

fuzzlightyear wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:50 pmMost people will never experience this feeling in their lifetime, sad but true.
Why are you saying that?

Do you only mean this with regards to music, or for life in general? Because the phenomenon you describe - being "in the zone" - is pretty well documented & can happen for every activity that for specified person is meaningful and on a biological level causes new neuron connections because they're pushing themselves beyond their current capabilities. So it doesn't happen only for music. I sometimes get that when I'm coding a financial model and it finally clicks & works as expected, or when I read/watch/learn something that turns my world or opinion upside down, or when - indeed - I come up with a direction for a track I was stuck with for weeks.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:36 pm
fuzzlightyear wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:50 pmMost people will never experience this feeling in their lifetime, sad but true.
Why are you saying that?

Do you only mean this with regards to music, or for life in general? Because the phenomenon you describe - being "in the zone" - is pretty well documented & can happen for every activity that for specified person is meaningful and on a biological level causes new neuron connections because they're pushing themselves beyond their current capabilities. So it doesn't happen only for music. I sometimes get that when I'm coding a financial model and it finally clicks & works as expected, or when I read/watch/learn something that turns my world or opinion upside down, or when - indeed - I come up with a direction for a track I was stuck with for weeks.
I'm a programmer by trade so know all too well the satori of suddenly realising I've been coding for ten hours straight 'in the zone'. It can also come to me from having my mind opened up by other people's creativity so for me it's not just about personal productivity.

See you in pseuds corner and the out of context thread. :wink:

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:24 pm See you in pseuds corner and the out of context thread. :wink:
Err, what does that mean? :scared:
Music tech enthusiast

Why are you saying that?
Which part?, you always pick and choose parts from the whole then decide to move the goal posts again to make a point. I believe you might have a hard time with accepting the fact that you just don't understand what I actually meaning.

"Why are you saying that?"

I have no idea why you find it so important to argue about something you clearly don't have actual experience with yourself, but then choose to recite someone else's opinion as yours. I prefer real life experiences, that's when you know someone truly knows what you mean when you're talking about feelings.

Maybe someday you'll get what I'm saying without feeling so defensive...
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

antic604 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:38 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:24 pm See you in pseuds corner and the out of context thread. :wink:
Err, what does that mean? :scared:
There's a satirical British magazine named Private Eye and they have a regular column named Pseuds Corner where they quote people namedropping or trying to overintellectualise in an embarassing manner.

Some examples here
http://www.compulink.co.uk/~stevemann/pseuds.htm

Are you safe?

fuzzlightyear wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:44 pm
Why are you saying that?
Which part?, you always pick and choose parts from the whole then decide to move the goal posts again to make a point. I believe you might have a hard time with accepting the fact that you just don't understand what I actually meaning.

"Why are you saying that?"

I have no idea why you find it so important to argue about something you clearly don't have actual experience with yourself, but then choose to recite someone else's opinion as yours. I prefer real life experiences, that's when you know someone truly knows what you mean when you're talking about feelings.

Maybe someday you'll get what I'm saying without feeling so defensive...
WTF are you on about? :o
  • I quoted exatly the thing I asked about - you mention being "in the zone" in context of being proficient at using a DAW and then followed with what I quoted, i.e. that most people will never experience it and I'm wondering what you mean exactly or why you think that if you mean it literally
  • I never "recited someone else's opinion as mine"! I quoted you with your nick and all. It's clear it's your opinion that I'm trying to understand, not "argue about"
  • In my post I explicitly mentioned that I know - have experienced myself - what you're talking about, but it wasn't always in context of music, hence my question about your assertion
And I'm still certain that some laptops are more powerful than majority of desktop PCs :P
Music tech enthusiast

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:47 pmThere's a satirical British magazine named Private Eye and they have a regular column named Pseuds Corner where they quote people namedropping or trying to overintellectualise in an embarassing manner.
Ok, so what was embarassing in my post?
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:02 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:47 pmThere's a satirical British magazine named Private Eye and they have a regular column named Pseuds Corner where they quote people namedropping or trying to overintellectualise in an embarassing manner.
Ok, so what was embarassing in my post?
I was talking about my own post.

Are you safe?

fuzzlightyear wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:50 pm Most people will never experience this feeling in their lifetime, sad but true.
Evidence?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:04 pm
fuzzlightyear wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:50 pm Most people will never experience this feeling in their lifetime, sad but true.
Evidence?
His train(wreck) of thought would suggest something like this:
- "being in the zone" only happens when writing music
- you can only get there, if you know your DAW in & out
- most people (definitely on KvR) use multiple DAWs, hence they can't know any one of them well enough
- in consequence, they can never get "in the zone"

It's "all desktops are better than laptops" all over again :D
Music tech enthusiast

Oh well, at least nobody has referred to it as idiotic or moronic thinking.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:35 am Oh well, at least nobody has referred to it as idiotic or moronic thinking.
In this case it’s more ignorant, arrogant, and condescending than it is idiotic or moronic, but some of that applies as well.

Lol, “most people in the world will never get to experience this in their lifetime”

:lol: :lol:

Once I read a book written in the 60's about "unique" travels by taking LSD and enter a barrel then meeting some gods or demons ...etc. Is it like that experience?
I don't know! I've never took LSD and/or entered a barrel to travel! :lol:

EnGee wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:57 amOnce I read a book written in the 60's about "unique" travels by taking LSD and enter a barrel then meeting some gods or demons ...etc. Is it like that experience?
Sound more like a DMT trip :roll:
Music tech enthusiast

During my gigging career I was in what I'd call the improvisational zone only a few times. Playing amateur baseball, once. It's an amazing feeling and especially when the crowd senses it. It just seems as if the music you hear in your head is flowing out of you without any effort at all. It's what all those thousands of hours of practice and playing are for. If you've never experienced it, I truly feel sorry for you. I have no conception of how I'd accomplish with a DAW, though I'm not saying you can't.

The two instances I can think of that are recorded by others are Eric Clapton's Crossroads and and Jimi Hendrix's Message to Love live at the Fillmore. I'm sure there are more and I've witnessed it live with jazz players. I'm sure that the jazz literature with its heavy emphasis on improvisation is littered with examples. Other than being in love and its correlated activities, it's probably the best feeling you can have

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”