Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:03 pm
Teksonik wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:51 pm ".....there’s no denying that it was a massive commercial success: “Jump” topped the Billboard Hot 100 as well as the Mainstream Rock chart, climbed into the top 10 in the UK (it climbed to #7), and sold more than a million copies in America".

sales do not indicate quality

more ppl in the UK bought this that month than jump...

https://youtu.be/4zRCGB9-H3A
but auf wiedersein pet!

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:04 pm unless anyone has access to the original preset, it's a moot point
Well then, lucky for you it's literally Factory patch A1. Just turn the attack time down, and maybe very minor tweaks to the filter/envs (if that, it'll depend on the calibration), then add reverb.

It's not a difficult sound to match even without that. I already posted an example from Diva and all it's using is its internal reverb and delay..

FWIW, it's slightly tweaked the preset to give it more low-end. I'll send the updated preset to Richard.
Here's the new (and last) version.
https://soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio/o ... -polysynth
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

PAK wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:22 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:04 pm unless anyone has access to the original preset, it's a moot point
Well then, lucky for you it's literally Factory patch A1. Just turn the attack time down, and maybe very minor tweaks to the filter/envs (if that, it'll depend on the calibration), then add reverb.

It's not a difficult sound to match even without that. I already posted an example from Diva and all it's using is its internal reverb and delay..
that's good then (no idea, never used one)

hopefully the original can be used to compare (if you really care about such dull sounds) instead of a recording of the song (or even worse, a YT video)

Ghostwave wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:24 pm FWIW, it's slightly tweaked the preset to give it more low-end. I'll send the updated preset to Richard.
needs more reverb.

have to say that OBXD patch previous page is on the money. well done.

OrangeSlices wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:29 pm
Ghostwave wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:24 pm FWIW, it's slightly tweaked the preset to give it more low-end. I'll send the updated preset to Richard.
needs more reverb.

have to say that OBXD patch previous page is on the money. well done.
Agreed.
rsp
sound sculptist

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:26 pm that's good then (no idea, never used one)
No worries. Arturia's OB-XA V includes the Factory bank. Choose A1 Brass Ensemble, turn filter envelope attack to zero, filter release to zero, filter sustain to max, and point the filter knob at the Q in the word "freq". Now turn on the reverb send to the half-way mark. Rather hilariously these minor tweaks result in a better Jump preset than the one Arturia did themselves :D

And now also give people an easy way to compare to other synths when they feel the need to Jump!.. ;)
Last edited by PAK on Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:03 pm sales do not indicate quality
Of course not but sales do indicate popularity.

I can't speak for the UK but in the US "Jump" was one of the most iconic songs of the genre and period.

The Jump synth sound and line have to be considered one of the most iconic of all time was well.

People are still trying to replicate the sound all the way up to today in this thread.

I assume people will be looking for a Jump patch in OBsession and perhaps the Tom Sawyer Bass from Rush as well.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Any demo videos / snippets here, except that magic-synth-is-arising-teaser?

several snippets in the last four pages.
rsp
sound sculptist

PAK wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:37 pm
No worries. Arturia's OB-XA V includes the Factory bank. Choose A1 Brass Ensemble, turn filter envelope attack to zero, filter release to zero, sustain to max, and point the filter knob at the Q in the word "freq". Now turn on the reverb send to the half-way mark. Rather hilariously these minor tweaks result in a better Jump preset than the one Arturia did themselves :D

And now also give people an easy way to compare to other synths when they feel the need to Jump!.. ;)
Really? That usually leads to an ugly bump or noise when releasing a key. I never understand why some sound designers keep doing that.

Ok, now here's the Arturia OB-XA V version with the tweaks I suggested (I didn't even change the default reverb setting!!)
Arturia OB-XA V Jump
I suggest someone from Synapse uses the Arturia plugin to look at the settings..

Still waiting on audio examples exposing any resonance detail etc from Synapse.. (which is the main area Arturia could still be improved on.. )

e-crooner wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:55 pm
PAK wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:37 pm
No worries. Arturia's OB-XA V includes the Factory bank. Choose A1 Brass Ensemble, turn filter envelope attack to zero, filter release to zero, sustain to max, and point the filter knob at the Q in the word "freq". Now turn on the reverb send to the half-way mark. Rather hilariously these minor tweaks result in a better Jump preset than the one Arturia did themselves :D

Really? That usually leads to an ugly bump or noise when releasing a key. I never understand why some sound designers keep doing that.
with post fx it's quite effective in certain situations, such as reverb, delay

e-crooner wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:55 pm Really? That usually leads to an ugly bump or noise when releasing a key. I never understand why some sound designers keep doing that.
You'll survive ;)

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:33 pm re: jump - nobody cares, it's a crap sound from a crap song
Finally, someone said that :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”