inSIDious - the definitive SID chip plugin has arrived! Available now

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mladi wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:30 pm Why should the users which bought full Reaktor (there was a reason for buying it and sure it wasn't to pay way more for .ens running in free player) pay for a free player usage? Same goes for Kontakt btw.

I understand that devs like the idea to reach as many potential customers as possible but don't forget one thing: There a for sure a not so low number of potential customers which are not willing to pay a way higher price just to support free player when they already bought the full Reaktor.

I never understand why devs can't offer two versions: One for people with full Reaktor and one for the people who use the free player. That would be fair!
You get two branches of code you will have to maintain, and I assume that it's not feasible for smaller developers. This is also a pure guess, but NI could be imposing some rules about not allowing two versions too. Either way, any semi-serious venture will always create a business case to begin with, and I guess they decided it would be wiser to target the Player group.

Either way, this looks good and I'm eagerly awaiting more details!
Last edited by BeeDog on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

you should mention its for reaktor in the title

mladi wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:30 pm Why should the users which bought full Reaktor (there was a reason for buying it and sure it wasn't to pay way more for .ens running in free player) pay for a free player usage? Same goes for Kontakt btw.

I understand that devs like the idea to reach as many potential customers as possible but don't forget one thing: There a for sure a not so low number of potential customers which are not willing to pay a way higher price just to support free player when they already bought the full Reaktor.

I never understand why devs can't offer two versions: One for people with full Reaktor and one for the people who use the free player. That would be fair!
Well for starters, going with Player also means better NKS support, which is a whole other (not insignificant) userbase. Anyone who doesn't want to pay doesn't have to pay, they can just use the free ens from the UL - but that one won't be updated anymore, I reckon. Player version of inSIDious is improved still - not just UI-wise.

But also having two versions means an increased load on support, apart from the aforementioned "two codebases" thing (which is basically the difference in NKS implementation).

Reaktor player only ?
I own the full reaktor version and don't feel the need to install an additional R.player just to get the ensemle running
Please consider offering an ensemble version
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:05 am Reaktor player only ?
I own the full reaktor version and don't feel the need to install an additional R.player just to get the ensemle running
Please consider offering an ensemble version
Anything that runs in Reaktor Player runs in full Reaktor. There is no separate player to download.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

Sure but if he's only offering an embedded reaktor player vesion , I can't load the file into reaktor , can I ?
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:49 am Sure but if he's only offering an embedded reaktor player vesion , I can't load the file into reaktor , can I ?
Native Instruments don't allow stuff to be directly embedded. You'll just install it from Native Access and it will work in both full Reaktor and Reaktor Player just like any other commercial ensemble.

Correct, it works in both R6 and R6 Player. It's registered in Native Access as well.

Now, let's take a look at inSIDious in action, and hear it too. This demonstration was created by Fabio Marinelli and showcases the instrument used in a 100% authentic context (recreating the main theme from the classic game Commando).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FdoNU5O3rU

Of course, we have plenty to show for sounds that go beyond the traditional ones you might expect! Stay tuned for that.
Last edited by zircon on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

tonedef71 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:35 am
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:58 pmMaybe check out how much licensing actually costs to get a better picture.

Ouch! :dog:
And even free is not free:
Or you can release a completely free product. For promotional products that don’t have a retail price, we offer a fixed price of $/€2,500 – this covers encoding and 25,000 NFR serial numbers. Any additional serial numbers and/or re-encoding will be charged at the same rate.

elxsound wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:56 pm
tonedef71 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:35 am
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:58 pmMaybe check out how much licensing actually costs to get a better picture.

Ouch! :dog:
And even free is not free:
Or you can release a completely free product. For promotional products that don’t have a retail price, we offer a fixed price of $/€2,500 – this covers encoding and 25,000 NFR serial numbers. Any additional serial numbers and/or re-encoding will be charged at the same rate.
Paying $2500 dollars as a promotional expense for the legal right to use the reaktor player and give away free copies of your instrument to 25,000 people who don't have to own reaktor to use it is exactly $0.01 per person.

Paying a 1 penny per person fee for the rights to use the reaktor player as a free instrument base to deliver your own designs to 25,000 people is some very cheap and awesome marketing.

I's actual a great deal when compared to other less fun marketing and promotional expenses.

oh wow! the sid chip could play 3 sounds max couldnt it? i made some tracks with 5 or more at the same time :D not authentic i guess but soundsd good hmmmm
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:45 pm oh wow! the sid chip could play 3 sounds max couldnt it? i made some tracks with 5 or more at the same time :D not authentic i guess but soundsd good hmmmm
It has 3 hardware channels, but a bug in the 6581 meant that you could also play a 4-bit sample at the same time if you used the CPU. The most modern technique gives you 2 normal SID channels and uses the 3rd channel to give an extra 4 channels of 8-bit sample playback. It's really ingenious.

I liked how I could see the waveform and when RM was used on the commando song. It was more interesting than the possibility to use the plugin. If it could load SIDs so you could you use it as a visualizer for the instruments it would be really nice. Anyone who knows if there is a realtime sid player that displays waveform, RM Sync PWM etc? Not just oscilloscope view or text file.

Eyeball exchanging

Which is fiddly af to tweak due to supertiny controls, plus it's also less accurate. :) But sure, those who don't want to pay for a greatly improved version, don't have to. Nobody's forcing anyone.

Return to “Instruments”