Tape Emulation roundup

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abbey Road - J37 Tape

hotmitts wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:59 am people say nice things about the Hornet tape which is cheap - I have trouble knowing what I'm listening for when I try comparing these things, mayybe you have to really work with them for a while
There's three things related to tape plugins:
- Soft clipping
- Bass boost (a bell, not a low shelf)
- High frequency control (remove digital harshness)

If you want a low frequency boost in a region that actually adds something valuable and want to de-harshen the high frequencies, ReelBus4 is excellent for this. Hornet Tape always boosts high frequencies, no matter what "preset" you choose, you have no control over this. In addition, Reelbus4 also has saturation, delay, flanger, tape stop, but most importantly full control over the amount of EQ'ing that is taking place with the "spectrum" slider.

That's fantastically useful. Many thanks

3 tape sim comparisons.
https://www.sageaudio.com/blog/audio-pl ... lugins.php
Free: ReelBus v4 WTH!
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I think it was kind of a poor move to call ReelBus 4 "free"... It has a generous demo, with some limitations, and the guy found a way to circumvent those limitations. Pretty sure ToneBoosters still considers Reelbus 4 a commercial plugin, and would still like to be paid for it if you decide to keep using it after demoing.
A well-behaved signature.

+1
It's definitely a commercial product.
JerGoertz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:04 pm I think it was kind of a poor move to call ReelBus 4 "free"... It has a generous demo, with some limitations, and the guy found a way to circumvent those limitations. Pretty sure ToneBoosters still considers Reelbus 4 a commercial plugin, and would still like to be paid for it if you decide to keep using it after demoing.

Chow tape is amazing and free .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:13 am Chow tape is amazing and free .
I just installed the latest version only to find it now has a bus grouping function. :hihi:

Tappistry wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:09 am +1 for Goodhertz Wow Control if you want to do some wild tape distortions and want that sound of a tape machine that seems like it's on the verge of breaking down.
Thanks for the tip. I generally like either no tape at all, or using it on a single channel as an effect where it’s very obvious.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Waves J37!

Gaisssss.. any feedback with the new Caelum audio Tape Pro?

fir_sk88 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:21 am Gaisssss.. any feedback with the new Caelum audio Tape Pro?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=554811

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:37 am
Tappistry wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:09 am +1 for Goodhertz Wow Control if you want to do some wild tape distortions and want that sound of a tape machine that seems like it's on the verge of breaking down.
Thanks for the tip. I generally like either no tape at all, or using it on a single channel as an effect where it’s very obvious.
You can definitely venture into sound design and mangling territory with it. Or it can clean up nicely and do the tame clean tape sort of thing as well. The price point is a little high, perhaps, but I haven't come across any others that can go to those extremes with such finesse and somehow manage to sound as good at sounding broken.

People also seem to like the new Fuse Audio Labs plugin Flywheel a lot.

Softube Tape is still on sale for 39€ over at Plugin Boutique until tomorrow. I mostly use that and Satin.

gondii wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:02 am Softube Tape is still on sale for 39€ over at Plugin Boutique until tomorrow. I mostly use that and Satin.
+1.

demoed flywheel and its great, but between Satin and Softube i really don't feel like i'm missing out

Return to “Effects”