Massive X 1.4 update!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive X Quarantine - Massive X Presets

I think the answer is pretty simple: Because it's hard to take that a plugin that you don't like is so popular with others. Especially when it comes from the evil evil industry leader.

That said I also think NI could have done a better job with MX. The GUI and whole layout and architecture seems a bit haphazard when I think about it. If I should describe it, MX is a unpolished diamond. Which has seen a lot of polish with the last updates. ;) The biggest imrpovement for me were the parameter value readouts. There's not much which I would wish for now. I don't really care about wavetable import, or even a wavetable editor, so, for me, they could as well leave those out.

Stefken wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:33 pmEven very justified ones like e.g. how poor the browser is.
No that is not true. I did say that browser needs to be updated on more than one occasion (and will be). There's no point in defending that one at all. Not sure where you got that from. I very much agree on that particular point. The only thing that I ever said is that you can always load MX inside KK for better patch browsing experience with tag filtering etc. It's a valid workflow - you don't have to like it, but IDGAF if you don't honestly. It's just a possible way to work with it.

Also you started with the black knobs, not me.
Stefken wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:33 pmI don't believe for a second that MX is a success. There are updates but they are slow, so NI isn't all that keen to invest in it. The poor communication about cpu requirements also pissed off quite a few people.
All poorly constructed conjenctures with no actual data to back it up. :) The fact is a very minor part of the userbase waffled on about AVX and about 99% of users just used it normally because they didn't have an ancient CPU (AVX has been around for 9 years now). The updates are not slow because of your made up "reason", there are multiple other factors mixed in, but NI is in fact investing into MX and that is not about to stop.

Personally I'd just like to see NI come up with a more coherent or unified UI strategy so that learning one of their modern synths opens the doors to the others much more easily.

poetd wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:38 am Personally I'd just like to see NI come up with a more coherent or unified UI strategy so that learning one of their modern synths opens the doors to the others much more easily.
Actually they do.

Both their mod / crush pack have same form factor, GUI style and scalability as Massive X.

Plus, if you look at their recent romplers (Analog Dreams, for instance), you will notice they all follow 8-knob principle. That's aimed at integration with Komplete Kontrol of course.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Steps in the right direction sure.
Was thinking about synths like Rounds and Form.

Those are completely different synths with way different functionalities, so you cannot really expect them to look and feel the same, even partially.

Not in terms of workflow of course not, but a unified set of principles across the range would help.
I realise they outsource a lot of the development, which leads to things like this.

Untitled2.png
Untitled4.png
3.png

But having a standard and asking Devs to stick to that is pretty normal.

I think its just a shame those synths like Rounds and Form will never be as popular as they should or could be because learning them is so esoteric.
(and by popular I don't mean sales, I'm sure they sold plenty, but who even mentions them these days?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

i mention form a lot, one of my top used synths/ensembles.

poetd wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:55 am Not in terms of workflow of course not, but a unified set of principles across the range would help.
I realise they outsource a lot of the development, which leads to things like this.

Untitled2.png

Untitled4.png

3.png

But having a standard and asking Devs to stick to that is pretty normal.

I think its just a shame those synths like Rounds and Form will never be as popular as they should or could be because learning them is so esoteric.
(and by popular I don't mean sales, I'm sure they sold plenty, but who even mentions them these days?)
These reaktor synths were supposed to be unusual and experimental, and their GUI reflects it.

Probably NI abandoned that way and won't be bringing any more "breathrought" synths to us. Instead they focus on standard romplers and expansions, are you happy with that?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

don't own massive x (only massive, komplete 11 ultimate..) listened to some demo's on YT.
it has a modular quality to it, and yes, not all (?), have audio rate modulation. that's makes it sound different. i feel.

for me it is not a question massive x or serum or... i have vast dynamics vaporizer 2, and MSoundFactory, pigments 2, and some more..

it is only about: sounddesign; making own patches. i wonder if massive x is an addition. yes i must demo it.

(only thinking about, to buy komplete 12 update, or wait for komplete 13 ultimate (as update) (or both, selling the komplete 12 update), i can do both updates paths. if it is worth it for now. i question i can only answer.)

WasteLand wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:50 pm don't own massive x (only massive, komplete 11 ultimate..) listened to some demo's on YT.
it has a modular quality to it, and yes, not all (?), have audio rate modulation. that's makes it sound different. i feel.
Does anyone actually know whether or not MX has audio rate modulation? It certainly sounds like it for me (filter FM, and LFO modulation).

I'm interested to know that too

I know when in front of keyboard MX sounds super special grabs me much more even than Zebra 2 etc

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:52 pm
WasteLand wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:50 pm don't own massive x (only massive, komplete 11 ultimate..) listened to some demo's on YT.
Does anyone actually know whether or not MX has audio rate modulation? It certainly sounds like it for me (filter FM, and LFO modulation).
it is in the manual, filter FM is audio rate... and LFO, i searched "audio rate", can work also at audio rate.. so that is pretty damn good.

i tried to built a reaktor rack with 2 polyphonic wavetable oscillators, stereo. with FM connected. nice, but pumps the cpu. will try in VM the wavetable oscillators, but they also a pretty heavy on cpu.

EDIT: why i am trying this, to see if i can stuff with i already have. but massive x, has certain filters, the modulation modes of the oscillators. etc.
trying to figure out what makes it special. not to compare it with another soft synth.

WasteLand wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:04 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:52 pm
it is in the manual, filter FM is audio rate... and LFO, i searched "audio rate", can work also at audio rate.. so that is pretty damn good.
Thanks. :) And just what I expected, as it doesn't have that "scrabble" synths with no audio rate modulation have when you crank up the modulation rate. It behaves like a analog synth in that regard.

This is why this synth is so special. It does the most cutting-edge digital timbres (FM/WTs) as well as realistic analog sounds. It is uncanny.

Return to “Instruments”