2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:57 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:44 pm Modular folk, what can you recommend in the way of an 8-channel (flexible on channels) Eurorack mixer. I currently have the Roland 500-531 in my basket but it does seem on the expensive side at €400. That said it does look gorgeous.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_system_500_531.htm
scroll down theres a few more choices, but for 8 inputs with the same functions, cant say ive seen many (if any) and price seems fairly reasonable to me.
but, im useless with money, so may have different ideas of reasonable.
yeah, 8 inputs is more than most, various modules seem to have settled on 6.

I like the look of the Befaco Hexmix myself.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:14 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:57 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:44 pm Modular folk, what can you recommend in the way of an 8-channel (flexible on channels) Eurorack mixer. I currently have the Roland 500-531 in my basket but it does seem on the expensive side at €400. That said it does look gorgeous.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_system_500_531.htm
scroll down theres a few more choices, but for 8 inputs with the same functions, cant say ive seen many (if any) and price seems fairly reasonable to me.
but, im useless with money, so may have different ideas of reasonable.
yeah, 8 inputs is more than most, various modules seem to have settled on 6.

I like the look of the Befaco Hexmix myself.
Thanks both. I was mistaken on the Roland, it's actually 6 and not 8 inputs.

I was just checking out the Hexmix actually and it does have quite a few more features (EQ for example) for only a very small amount more. That said price wouldn't be the deciding factor. Both options now added to the shortlist, thanks.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Picked up a Radial JDI Stereo Passive di box. Expensive but I figured I'd dish out the cash one time on a decent make rather than buy a less well made but cheaper di alternative.

Curiously, the JDI Stereo Passive box has Jensen transformers in but Radial's slightly higher priced JDI Duplex Passive di box doesn't always have these despite the J of JDI presumably standing for Jensen.
Instead, since around 2013, some of Radial's JDI Duplex passives have contained Eclipse transformers instead (this is all debated amid much hoohaa on a Gearslutz thread).
Even though Eclipse transformers aren't supposed to be greatly inferior to Jensen (if at all), it's still a bit of a curiosity by the well-reputed Radial.

i notice mutable have added some 2020 module updates.
may add a ripples filter.
rack 3 :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:55 pm i notice mutable have added some 2020 module updates.
I beta tested those. Never had the original Ripples, but the new one is nice. That drive is tasty.

The new Shades is handier than the old one with the dual LEDs per channel. I kept my old one in the case though.

In 2020 I sold NI Maschine Mikro MK3 and KK M32 keyboard and I bought ATOM and Push 2. I might sell ATOM and nanoKontrol2 later and I'm thinking to buy a synth in few months. Don't know! I'm between WaveState, Minilogue XD and Mini MS-20. It would be great if I can buy all three but I don't have space (and a need) for all three.

foosnark wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:07 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:55 pm i notice mutable have added some 2020 module updates.
I beta tested those. Never had the original Ripples, but the new one is nice. That drive is tasty.

The new Shades is handier than the old one with the dual LEDs per channel. I kept my old one in the case though.
yeah im having a look/read up on the other mi stuff, im sure there will be at least a couple on the first order for this rack :)

want to look at some more character filters too, a polivoks and an ms20 style would be nice.
may even add another wasp, sometimes you use it, and youd like to use it again :cry:

Right now I've got three filters in my rack:

Serge VCFQ: my favorite for lowpass/bandpass sound overall, and pinging.

Ripples: my favorite for drive and consistency, sort of a "tearing" sound as the cutoff is modulated, and modulating resonance at audio rates.

Schlappi Angle Grinder: my favorite for highpass, using as an oscillator, modulating 5 different things simultaneously, and "what the hell was it just doing and why can't I make it do that again?" :lol:

I really need to explore them all more though. I'm so much into FM etc. that sometimes I have to remind myself I have filters. :oops:

Just got myself a pair of APS Klassik 2020 monitors - totally opened my eyes !

vurt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:51 am want to look at some more character filters too, a polivoks and an ms20 style would be nice.
may even add another wasp, sometimes you use it, and youd like to use it again :cry:
That's funny, that's my set of 3 'character' filters; The Doepfer Wasp and MS-20 style filter, and the Harvestman Polivoks filter.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

foosnark wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:47 pm Right now I've got three filters in my rack:

Serge VCFQ: my favorite for lowpass/bandpass sound overall, and pinging.

Ripples: my favorite for drive and consistency, sort of a "tearing" sound as the cutoff is modulated, and modulating resonance at audio rates.

Schlappi Angle Grinder: my favorite for highpass, using as an oscillator, modulating 5 different things simultaneously, and "what the hell was it just doing and why can't I make it do that again?" :lol:

I really need to explore them all more though. I'm so much into FM etc. that sometimes I have to remind myself I have filters. :oops:
currently, a borg, a wasp and 2 cinnamon.
i like to have options, the 2nd cinnamon i won for buttons in the charity auction and its a lovely filter.

did you not get the makenoise filtery thing?

that said, i dont want to focus so much on processing in this rack, its mostly going to be for added modulation, but a couple of odd bits to fill it out :)

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:54 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:51 am want to look at some more character filters too, a polivoks and an ms20 style would be nice.
That's funny, that's my set of 3 'character' filters; The Doepfer Wasp and MS-20 style filter, and the Harvestman Polivoks filter.
you have fine taste my good man 🧐

Keith99 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:48 pm Just got myself a pair of APS Klassik 2020 monitors - totally opened my ears !
ftfy ;)

vurt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:55 pm did you not get the makenoise filtery thing?
Yeah, I had the QPAS for a while. With a little resonance it was OK, but with more it just sounded like itself, if that makes sense, and that wasn't something I was into. It needed a lot of current from the -12V rail, too.

vurt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:57 pm
Keith99 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:48 pm Just got myself a pair of APS Klassik 2020 monitors - totally opened my ears !
ftfy ;)
ty :) It is like taking socks out of my ears!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”