Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:11 am .
vurt wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:39 pmjump around!!!
Wrong song, idiot!
that was the joke. idiot.

carrieres wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:30 am
zvenx wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:45 pm I am guessing now that audio snippets are allowed that it is indeed very close :)
Thanks for these.
rsp
You can count in days now :love:
yeah, only 73 left to go :hyper:

73?! Damn! So what is that coming?! A train?

PAK wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:32 amYour ears might tell you the Synapse one is richer and brighter. Mine say OBXA V is a helluva lot closer to the original.
Right, because whoever Van Halen paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce that album never bothered to touch the synth sound, he just left it exactly as it came out of the instrument. Rich has the actual patch and, knowing him as well as I do, you can bet your bottom dollar that he has matched OBSession to the real OB-Xa, not to some glossy 80's over-produced pop-rock song.
BTW I am assuming the issue is settings based, rather than the emulation itself..
Get the synth settings as close as you like, none of us know how much EQ was applied, nor if it was compressed or anything else about it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

We really need the synth to put an end to these discussions. 8)

BONES wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:06 pmGet the synth settings as close as you like, none of us know how much EQ was applied, nor if it was compressed or anything else about it.
I’m always amazed when people try to match a sound from a record as if that record hasn’t gone though the recording, mixing and mastering process.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

BONES wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:06 pmRight, because whoever Van Halen paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce that album never bothered to touch the synth sound, he just left it exactly as it came out of the instrument.
Yep. But, c'mon, give them credit where it's due - they did add reverb :hihi:

The process of running through a reverb, into the mixing console, and onto tape would change the sound (probably removing some high end) which they'd likely have compensated for by adding high end EQ on the console. Beyond that I really don't think there's a whole lot else to it.

You can hear OBXA V is close straight from the plugin. You might want to bump the tuning up a tiny bit, adjust the reverb, and - if someone's that bothered - attempt to replicate any recording chain process if you wanted some of that last few percent. Personally, I can only take so much sawtooth :o :D
Rich has the actual patch and, knowing him as well as I do, you can bet your bottom dollar that he has matched OBSession to the real OB-Xa, not to some glossy 80's over-produced pop-rock song.
Ok. Except when that song literally used the default preset with minimal tweaks.
BONES wrote:
Pak wrote:BTW I am assuming the issue is settings based, rather than the emulation itself..
Get the synth settings as close as you like, none of us know how much EQ was applied, nor if it was compressed or anything else about it.
Nor do you need to, unless Van Halen hired you to go on tour and banished you underneath the stage to play it ;) The point is presenting something that's good enough that people (most of whom are preset tweakers, don't forget) can satisfy themselves that the differences they hear aren't about failings in the emulation. What's been presented doesn't come close - Both Diva and certainly OBXA V get closer. I provided audio so people can make up their own minds rather than go by any subjective opinion.

I'm also sure there are plenty of OBXA examples on Youtube playing Jump (I didn't check :lol: ). So it's not like people can't listen to those and make some sort of reasonable conclusion about what a recording process actually changes. They can also listen to multiple videos of the original recording, and hear just how much Youtube changes (though that's mostly down to the uploader and their sources, rather than Youtube's encoding)

It seems I opened Pandora's Box by posting this snippet ...
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

It probably would have happened anyway in a few days.
rsp
sound sculptist

It sounds good regardless if it's faithful to the original or not. Who cares. Obsession is great anyway, some of you guys are going to love it.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghostwave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:45 pm It seems I opened Pandora's Box by posting this snippet ...
post more!
lets get this thing going!!!!

Fernando (FMR)

Heh, why are we still going on about this? I already posted an example of a ”Jump patch” that is closer to the original than any recreation I have ever heard. Here it is one more time, listen to it before you continue about the same topic (1st half me, 2nd half original): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d4_Eei ... p=drivesdk

It could have been almost any synth that has two sawtooth oscillators (I tried). It’s the (pretty drastic) EQ, reverb, haas-type stereo delay and some other smaller things that make it sound like that.

I know there are still some small differences especially in the chord stab attacks, but I don’t have the original EQ installed any more, so I haven’t been able to do further tweaks to make it even closer. Anyway, 99% of the so-called ”Jump patches” I hear around the internets sound like the creator never even bothered to actually compare their patch to the original song, they don’t even have the basics right.

And about the song itself. I know opinions are opinions, but it’s a freakin’ good song, and anyone claiming otherwise is wrong. Every time I hear the synth intro, I just go ”yeeeaah!” and get this rush of adrenaline and good feels, and am reminded why I love music in general. Feel free to hate it, I’ll continue to love it.

And... since I hate derailing a derailed thread even more, I’ll also repeat that I’m very much looking forward to Obsession, and will definitely get it when it’s out. Peace.
Last edited by Captain on Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:21 pm Heh, why are we still going on about this?
good question... its not very exciting

ive just opened my first beer...

Captain wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:21 pm Heh, why are we still going on about this?
We'll move on as soon as more snippets are posted. I might post more of my own patches in the next few days. I'll let other factory bank programmers post their own.
And while I'm at it, I'm a huge fan of your band. :love:
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Return to “Instruments”