Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:11 am I was suspended until June 6 at 7:33 PM KVR time. For whatever reason, the suspended marker hasn't been removed though I am no longer suspended. I informed the mods and hopefully, they can fix it.
Glad you are out of KVR jail!

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:11 am I was suspended until June 6 at 7:33 PM KVR time. For whatever reason, the suspended marker hasn't been removed though I am no longer suspended. I informed the mods and hopefully, they can fix it.
fixed
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

tony10000 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:22 am
Glad you are out of KVR jail!
It was probably the best thing that happened to me this year.

Hink wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:49 am
fixed
Thank you Hink. Have a nice evening.

PAK wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:17 pmThe point is presenting something that's good enough that people (most of whom are preset tweakers, don't forget) can satisfy themselves that the differences they hear aren't about failings in the emulation. What's been presented doesn't come close - Both Diva and certainly OBXA V get closer.
Not to my ears they don't. Your Diva one, in particular, is miles off. That said, to me it s the most pointless exercise imaginable. I like the one that sounds the best, not the one that sounds closest, and the richness and clarity in Ghostwave's example sounds miles better to me. If that's down to OBSesssion, then OBSession is the one I want. If it's down to Ghostwave's programming skills, then I want his preset.
Ghostwave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:29 pmInstant Com Truise! I'll submit this preset to Richard this weekend.
https://soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio/o ... -hyperwave
What's that meant to be? I like the patch but I don't get the reference.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:07 am
Ghostwave wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:29 pmInstant Com Truise! I'll submit this preset to Richard this weekend.
Com Truise is a synthwave musician.

db3 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:14 am
BONES wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:07 am
Com Truise is a synthwave musician.
who extensively uses Oberheim synths (and heavily detunes his sounds)
The preset I made just reminded me of his work but I didn't try to reproduce an existing sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IG-ux1et90
Last edited by Ghostwave on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

BONES wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:07 am Not to my ears they don't. Your Diva one, in particular, is miles off.
Haha.. I wouldn't say that many miles off :D ( Diva Jumps) but for sure someone could get closer (with only Diva, and no EQ) if it was a challenge which motivated them. But, be my guest if you think you can do better without any external FX ;)

OB-XA V ( Arturia OB-XA V Jump ) does exactly what you'd expect from a dedicated emulation - it gets closer than that with such little effort that I can explain exactly how to replicate that audio example in a single sentence - (Select A-1 preset, Filter A & R to zero, Filter S to max, point main filter at Q in word Freq, turn reverb on).

It tells you Arturia got many of the basics correct. They also had the confidence to include the Factory presets - which isn't about the sounds as much as, for a hardware synth with patch memory, the easiest way to make multiple quick comparisons. It also helps remove settings errors and potential bias from the process. Placing them in a manual makes it far less likely someone will bother, and introduces excuses to hide behind if and when even those basic sounds don't match.
BONES wrote:That said, to me it s the most pointless exercise imaginable.
You'd be right if it weren't that the synth is being presented as an OBXA emulation(?), and that basic sound is literally the one the synth is best known for. (I'm not arguing the merits of that ;) ) BTW There are multiple versions of the original recording (thus, it's actually a moving target) and many muffle the original sound, so it makes more sense to emulate the hardware than the recording, and I already provided a way to get the approximate settings.

I'm still awaiting examples showing the resonance detail of Synapses effort. But, given the defensiveness over the basic Jump sound (which, if mine is miles off, the example posted was at least on the next continent ;) ) I dunno whether I should expect much..

abernathy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:18 am
wagtunes wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:48 pm While I'm a little disappointed at the delay, I understand. Better to get it right than have problems.

Unfortunately, with Arturia's sale ending on the 9th, I'm going to have to go with getting the V7 Collection. It's just too good an offer to pass up. And while I'm not wild about the OB-Xa V, it's good enough at least for basic sounds.

I wish Richard nothing but the best with this release. Maybe at the end of the year if somebody gives me a nice Christmas gift, I'll pick this up. I'm sure it will sound great.
I’m holding off on Arturia until V8 Collection. Does that usually happen in the Fall?
the latest have been

VC5 - mid may 2016
VC6 - early december 2017
VC7 - late april 2019

about 1 years and a half apart from each other, my guess would be november/december 2020 for VC8 but it's merely a guess

PAK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:47 am.

I'm still awaiting examples showing the resonance detail of Synapses effort.
what do you want, perhaps I can knock something up later?

So much fervor about precisely replicating a bad song.

One crucial thing Arturia's emulation misses is the per voice adjustments of pretty much every parameter. That is the crux of OB sound. No two voices are alike, they all have subtle differences in everything, cutoff, resonance, envelope times, glide times... And Arturia doesnt do any of that apart from voice panning. Gee whiz.

AnX wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:02 pm various, right click etc

http://akadave.epizy.com/synth2.ogg
I've just listened to this! Wow! It is much more than I expected! I really don't care what this synth looks like, but I want it! It gives me the impression, is there any sound it can't do?! :o SA will absolutely take the crown from u-he with this one I guess :clown:

the best bit is, none of those sounds are in the factory bank :roll:

They should be! Actually, this should be included as a demo sound because it shows what this synth can do from screaming to those round and sexy sounds!

Return to “Instruments”