Kontakt 6 Upgrade, is it worth it?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the third opportunity to upgrade from K5 to 6 for half price in the N.I. summer sale, but I’m still looking for reasons to do it. There are no 3rd party user libraries that don’t run in the Player version I’m aware of yet and I’m not a Kontakt library developer.
Any other reasons I am not thinking of?

crossgrade to komplete and you get many nice kontakt library, plus battery and the others

Yep get Komplete its way better value
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

I'm still on 5 and I don't see any reason upgrade to 6 for me. The included library is dead old and not the best. I wish they would at least upgrade it too with new library if it's going to be worth a upgrade at all. I've deleted all except the orchestra part I've used a few times. All other stuff I got for Kontakt are from 3d part developer. I refuse to update until there's no other choice. I have Absynth and Reaktor and don't need any more from NI.

There are a few Kontakt libraries now that do not run in the player and require version 6. That is mainly because Kontakt 6 has drag and drop sample support.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

risome wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:40 am Yep get Komplete its way better value
Well it depends on your needs. Not everyone need or want everything from NI. Buying and not using everything is a waste of money and a waste of HD space.

mgw38 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:01 am There are a few Kontakt libraries now that do not run in the player and require version 6. That is mainly because Kontakt 6 has drag and drop sample support.
I'm aware of that. I stay away from those that demand 6.

I didn't think Kontakt 6 was a worthwhile upgrade at all, more like a small point update.
I also agree Komplete isn't necessarily good vale, its full of lots of filler and old stuff that in reality you will probably never use.
Why not keep 5 and put your money towards something like Falcon.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I'm not a Komplete user either, always felt like I'd freeze if I went down that path so I select what I want form N.I, which of course is the least value for money. But I prefer it this way.

Kontakt 6- I guess stay on 5 then....which is fine by me!

To your estimation, how frequently does Kontakt update? I'm thinking about buying the full version, as it's on sale right now, but I wouldn't want to pay for an update in a next 6-8 months.

I don't think there is reason for Kontakt 5 user to upgrade to 6 if all your libraries work with 5 - there is a chance that Kontakt 7 will be released before you buy first library that does not work with 5.
And I wouldn't expect a new Kontakt version soon as there is no visible pressure on NI which would force them to speedup its development.
And I wouldn't buy full version either - crossrade is also on sale, and is the best way to get the first Kontakt if Komplete is of no interest.

Thank you, Vladk. I was talking about crossgrade, yet I'm not sure it will give me much.

Well, as soon as it was released turns out there were things I really wanted to use requiring it, and are going to continue to be a go-to for what they’re made to do, so seeing the writing on wall I preordered, even.
There are things in it weren’t there at all before. Ethereal Earth is lush af. 99 bucks :party:

Yes but that all works with the free Kontakt 6 Player. And 5 and 6 happily co-exist.

Ethereal Earth and two others new with K6 for a $49 upgrade:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... whats-new/
PS. It has useful new features for those who use it as a sampler. Also, some good free pianobook libraries are only in K6: Ambisonic Rhodes, Pianolith, Surround Steinway, Schimmel. I am debating upgrade to K6 vs KU, but will likely go K6 cuz no time for KU synths.
Last edited by Michael L on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”