What synths are in equal or better footing than VPS Avenger?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Choose 3 synths that you would pick for me if they were free for you to give

Vengeance Sound - VPS Avenger (with CodeMeter service disabled when not using it)
5%
Parawave - RAPID
12%
Kilohearts - Phase Plant
11%
UVI - Falcon
15%
u-he - Zebra 2
13%
MeldaProduction - MSoundFactory
4%
Native Instruments - Reaktor
5%
Cherry Audio - Voltage Modular
1%
VCV - Rack VST
1%
KV331 Audio - SynthMaster
4%
Tone 2 - Icarus 2
5%
Xfer Records - Serum
10%
(recently added) Arturia - Pigments 2
9%
(recently added) Other (Tell me in the comments plz)
4%

Total votes: 916

I added another options and the votes were erased, sorry I didn't know what would happen, can you vote again?

I've been testing a lot synths demos recently but I really don't know anything about sound design but I plan to learn with the synths I'm going to buy. I like the sounds of some like Dune 3, Sylenth1 that I plan to buy, but I also want something with many many capabilities and I don't know how to recognize one because I'm a noob.

I wanted to buy VPS Avenger, but a week ago I found that VPS Avenger was using a DRM (Digital-Right Management) system that runs all the time (CodeMeter to be precise), even when I'm not using the synth. Even if it takes a little of CPU, I think that is abusive. I want to find a synth that sounds good, but that also have amazing capabilities like VPS Avenger or that is even better.

Can you help me to find an alternative? Can you tell me how does it compare to VPS Avenger? (Is it in worse footing, same footing, or better footing?

Plugins recommended:
  • Parawave - RAPID
  • Kilohearts - Phase Plant
  • UVI - Falcon
  • u-he - Zebra 2
  • MeldaProduction - MSoundFactory
  • Native Instruments - Reaktor
  • Cherry Audio - Voltage Modular
  • VCV - Rack VST
  • KV331 Audio - SynthMaster
  • Tone 2 - Icarus 2
  • Xfer Records - Serum
  • Arturia - Pigments 2
PD: I will be updating this post to add the plugins people recommend me.
Last edited by StardragonEX on Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 12 times in total.

I assume your replacment choice must also do drums?

I think it really is VPS Avenger and Rapid if you need drums. At least the ones I know about.....(Nexus cleary does too but it isn't a roll your own synth.)

Does PhasePlant?

Maybe Falcon does too?
rsp
sound sculptist

I have Nexus 2, it doesn't really permit you to create your own sounds, you can change them a little with effect though.

Falcon doesn't offer a demo :(

I'm gonna check Phase Plant.

Like another mentioned above .. Rapid seems like a good option if you want EDM presets.

However you might also consider..

U-he Zebra 2 (Serial # protection)

Rapid + Zebra combo seems like it could easily give Avenger a run for its money.

U-he Zebra 2 is a powerhouse of a synth and would complement Rapid quite nicely in terms of features. It has Wavetable, VA, Additive and FM synthesis and also has the ability to use spectral shaping on each of its 4 main oscillators. Unison sounds are easy to do as well as each oscillator can go to 11.
The CPU usage on Zebra is very low too considering everything thats going on.

If you want "warmer" filters you can upgrade with the Dark Zebra soundset and it will give you a version that use DIVAs analogue modelled filters.

If you do get the Dark Zebra upgrade you will get Zebra 3 when it is released for free.

Zebras modular design allows you to choose your own signal path and its super easy to use as far as modulars go.

There is a lot to learn but its easily a tool/instrument that you will keep going back to again and again.

Additionally there a variety of 3rd party skins that can make it look more "modern" if you want.

It lacks a lots of things Avenger has such as granular synthesis but you could easily match this with Parawave Rapid (When they release the granular update) and have a great tool kit for creating fast, highquality EDM sounds.

Ocasionally you can find Zebra2 on sale in the KVR used marketplace for cheaper than new but its not super common.

I would give it a demo and see what it has to offer.

(sorry for all the edits, i'm on phone)
Last edited by V0RT3X on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
:borg:

If you insist on having integrated drums, nothing comes close to Avenger for overall ease-of-use, flexibility, and sound quality.

Rapid is the closest overall. It can do drums using the multi-sampler, but it's not specific to drums. I.e., it doesn't have a drum sequencer like Avenger.

But ignoring the drums, I'd say look to Rapid. Everything in Rapid falls under wavetable or multi-samples, but there's more there than meets the eye. Soon the sampler will have a granular mode, and the demos for it sound amazing. I'm hoping they eventually add an analog-style oscillator that introduces non-linearities. But as to the rest: it's multi-timbral, easy to program, and extremely flexible. I love it's resynthesis feature whereby you can take any WAV file, and re-synthesis it into a new loopable sample which retains the harmonic content and texture of the original. I've used this feature a lot.

Phase Plant is impressive if you invest in all the effect snap-ins, but its greatest weakness is the filters. The main filter is a simple digital multi-mode. They recently added a ladder/diode-modeled filter, so that helped a lot, but it's still limited: 4-pole only. If you are looking for filters with a lot of character, look elsewhere. I expect this will eventually be addressed.

MSoundFactory is incredibly powerful, but it is hard to program. It has all the benefits and flaws of the Melda ecosystem. It also suffers from mediocre filters.

Falcon is amazing. It seems hard to program at first, but once you understand the basic structure, and leverage some good INIT templates, it's a sound designer's dream. There's nothing it can't do. Basic synth patching is fairly straightforward. And if you wish, you can go *very* deep, even into custom GUI and scripting. I know of no other synth that gives you such outstanding basic patching with a little effort, while letting you pull back the covers and go very deep.
Last edited by teilo on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Zebra is great and easy to use and Falcon is a monster. I'd like to mention Synthmaster as an alrounder too.

MFacory the better Zebra :wink:
(Can get for 100 $ and got more modules with bigger Wavetabels)
StardragonEX wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:02 pm but I also want something with many many capabilities a[/b]

But not forget the mother of all capabilities Reaktor
Cherry Audio Voltage is also a everything possible beast
VCV Rack VST will be (in a few month)
Last edited by Polomo123 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By the way, if you really don’t want CodeMeter to run all the time it should be quite easy to do that (assuming you are on a PC). Just set the CodeMeter service to manual and reboot. The service will start itself when you open your DAW/Avenger. Then you can stop it again when you are finished. Not worth the effort IMHO but a viable option if it’s important to you.

I think Rapid is the best suggestion. if you need a lot of trendy EDM presets, which you may customize or change completely, with great sound quality and small CPU footprint, you will get all that. Also non-intrusive copy protection and responsive developer.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Just a side note but Falcon uses iLok which is pretty much the same thing as code meter.
:borg:

Also, I second a vote for Falcon as it is great and super capable. A little unorthodox UI until you get used to it, but it feels like there is almost nothing it can’t do. It’s also transferable unlike Rapid, which was a pretty big factor for me.

V0RT3X wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:10 pm Just a side note but Falcon uses iLok which is pretty much the same thing as code meter.

Not necessarily as implemented by VPS, but that topic has been spoken about to death already.
rsp
sound sculptist

Icarus 2 is a good option. I would not count it as full replacement, but in terms of WT engine it is quite versatile and could compete with VPS Avenger. New with Version 2 is a drum module, a glitch sequencer, msegs and lots of more.

StardragonEX wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:02 pm I've been testing a lot synths demos recently but I really don't know anything about sound design but I plan to learn with the synths I'm going to buy. I like the sounds of some like Dune 3, Sylenth1 that I plan to buy, but I also want something with many many capabilities and I don't know how to recognize one because I'm a noob.

I wanted to buy VPS Avenger, but a week ago I found that VPS Avenger was using a DRM (Digital-Right Management) system that runs all the time (CodeMeter to be precise), even when I'm not using the synth. Even if it takes a little of CPU, I think that is abusive. I want to find a synth that sounds good, but that also have amazing capabilities like VPS Avenger or that is even better.

Can you help me to find an alternative? Can you tell me how does it compare to VPS Avenger? (Is it in worse footing, same footing, better footing?

Current list:
  • Parawave RAPID
  • kiloHeart Phase Plant
  • UVI Falcon
I really think you put too much emphasis on this buying decision. Just like every single one of us, you will end up with at least 10-20 payware synths anyway, time after time.

Return to “Instruments”