Fxpansion Strobe 2 is available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Strobe (DCAM: Synth Squad) Strobe2

@raiderpdog FXpansion and ROLI don't make physical SKUs of Strobe2. Could you post an image of it please? (Occasionally dealers make their own physical units - just a bit unusual).

@ScottZ what's your system info? Any computer from the last 5 year or so should be able to run Strobe2 OK, and anything up to 10 years old not counting "Intel Atom" (some of which are branded "Pentium") processors.
Are you running it in a DAW or stand-alone? If the latter - probably just needs some adjustment to its sound card driver/buffer settings (under "Audio & MIDI settings").
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Angus_FX wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:54 am @raiderpdog FXpansion and ROLI don't make physical SKUs of Strobe2. Could you post an image of it please? (Occasionally dealers make their own physical units - just a bit unusual).
it is a dvd clamshell, and then inside it was an insert page with my serial number and download/install info.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Angus_FX wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:54 am
@ScottZ what's your system info? Any computer from the last 5 year or so should be able to run Strobe2 OK, and anything up to 10 years old not counting "Intel Atom" (some of which are branded "Pentium") processors.
Are you running it in a DAW or stand-alone? If the latter - probably just needs some adjustment to its sound card driver/buffer settings (under "Audio & MIDI settings").
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with cpu, or ram but polyphony settings, or this synth is just weird I have amd 3600, windows 10 running through reaper I have turned unison and voices up on some patches and gotten it somewhat better, but nowhere near as enjoyable polyphony wise with default settings on other synths dune 3 zebra 2 etc. I want to be able to play like 8-10 notes at same time then not have a long 2-3 second pause til i can hit the next note.

double post

raiderpdog wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:05 pm
Angus_FX wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:54 am @raiderpdog FXpansion and ROLI don't make physical SKUs of Strobe2. Could you post an image of it please? (Occasionally dealers make their own physical units - just a bit unusual).
it is a dvd clamshell, and then inside it was an insert page with my serial number and download/install info.

I have one in transit, heading my way also. Crazy to see them blow these out so cheaply, but not unusual for Guitar Center/Musician Friends throughout the years on many different vendor products.

elxsound wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:22 pm

I have one in transit, heading my way also. Crazy to see them blow these out so cheaply, but not unusual for Guitar Center/Musician Friends throughout the years on many different vendor products.
yes, it really is a great deal to walk right into. Enjoy yours when you get it, it seems like a really nice synth.

@ScottZ Ryzen 5 3600 has pleeenty of juice for a synth like Strobe2, yes. You're running the latest update downloaded from fxpansion.com I take it?

When you say _pause_ - the sound stops entirely, like stutters and gaps? Or the synth keeps making sound smoothly but stops responding to new notes?

If the _HOLD_ switch is turned on (= sustain pedal), voices will be sustained & that would stop you playing new notes. It's possible some automation in your DAW (or an external controller etc.) could turn that on without you noticing.

Turn polyphony up to 32 and you should be fine - oh, and make sure you're not on a monophonic or arpeggiator patch, those obviously aren't designed for playing big chords.

Also, you can go to the "LOCKS" menu (lock icon in the top menu), choose "Polyphony", and then once you set it to 32 manually, it will override whatever's saved in the patch and stay at 32 regardless of what you load.

Thanks for posting this. My order is about to be shipped to Canada where it will be received by my brother, so excited to get the serial number from him once it reaches there. :)

Strobe2 sounds beautiful. The filter is so creamy.

I am having similar problems, running Strobe2 (just downloaded this week) in Ableton Live 10 Suite, on a AMD 3700x build I just made in December.

On some presets, some pads, I have noticed the following. I play two notes, and when I try to play another note, nothing new happens. I will press some other keys (happens with my midi keyboard and when I use my computer keyboard to input notes) and no new sound is being created. It takes a few seconds before pressing a key results in a sound again being played. I have entered midi manually into a track and played it, and the same thing happens. Some of the notes don't get played.

Happened with "PD an Eagle DR," "PD Antacid Il" (which is now getting stuck--it plays one note like a drone and keeps on going), "PD Artifact AZS" and so on. It happens if I only use one key, also, pressing it a couple of times works but after that no new sounds are created. I think I have seen those dud notes registered by the synth in that I see some of the parameter light things swoop up or down in relation to the pressed dud notes.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Locking polyphony at 32 voices didn't make the problem go away, unfortunately.

Dang, I just got a note stuck playing (Hold not on), and it kept in new voices as I switched presets. Something wonky is up.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Thanks for posting this. My order is about to be shipped to Canada where it will be received by my brother, so excited to get the serial number from him once it reaches there. :)

Strobe2 sounds beautiful. The filter is so creamy.
No Prob!

You're right, the sound is impressive and it can really handle a wide range of sound/style. I had never played it before, was a total impulse GAS move for such a low price, but certainly glad to have got it.

I also ordered a copy from GC and have been trying out the demo while waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I was impressed by the sound too. I have an MC-202 which is based on the SH-101 and I think the filter on Strobe sounds similar, or at least very analog-ish, just based on memory. There are some quirks with Strobe around the single oscillator, stacking options, sub-LFO and ramp, and a lot to explore as far as modulation possibilities. Might be off-putting for some but for me it's kind of recipe for addiction, I get into learning quirky gear.

mjudge55 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:01 pm I have an MC-202 which is based on the SH-101 and I think the filter on Strobe sounds similar, or at least very analog-ish, just based on memory. There are some quirks with Strobe around the single oscillator, stacking options, sub-LFO and ramp, and a lot to explore as far as modulation possibilities. Might be off-putting for some but for me it's kind of recipe for addiction, I get into learning quirky gear.
If I'm remembering correctly, the filter was designed by Andrew from Cytomic. Strobe and Cypher were originally part of a 3 synth bundle called DCAM Synth Squad and Strobe's quirks made more sense in that context: Strobe = monophonic (or simple) synth, Cypher = polyphonic (or complex) synth, and Amber = string (or octave divider) synth.

Yeah, the Strobe1 filter was designed by Andrew, based on analysis of the SH-101 and other Roland synths of the same vintage (IR3109-based). The Strobe2 filter is a similar beast in most respects, some significant differences in implementation detail but sonically very close. The nice thing they both share above and beyond the Roland designs is variable "tap" configuration (giving lots of filter shapes from the same circuit core), and variable drive (Roland synths had different gain staging on different products, chosen by their designers, but it wasn't user adjustable).

@Dirtgrain @raiderpdog This is starting to sound like something AMD-specific, I have an idea what it might be. Can you DM me your email addresses and I can join the dots with one of our test engineers, see if we can get you a patch.

If you do get stuck notes, hitting the Mute All Notes (warning triangle symbol in the top menu bar) should clear them out.

Return to “Instruments”