SonicLab x HAINBACH Test Equipment Instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's definitely an interesting atmospheric tool. Not sure if I would find uses for more musical proposes thought.

But for ambience.. 10/10
Take care :wink:

re people not seeing it as a traditional vst instrument, that is true. But once I used Gatekeeper to apply interesting gated rhythms onto the Fundamental output, combined with quantising the pitch using the scaling function, Fundamental became nicely musical and could easily generate rhythms and melodies. But it isnt something for playing notes from a midi keyboard or file

ended up buying this - is quite an inspiring sound source.

I guess the closest thing to it is this (BERNA 2)

https://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/softwares/

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:07 pm I guess the closest thing to it is this (BERNA 2)

https://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/softwares/
great link ! an interesting looking device although the patchbay would drive me crazy :) Real shame his other devices are not available on windows - they all look worthwhile - and very cheap

foosnark wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:23 pm It's not meant to be played with MIDI (other than specialized MPE control), but you can use MIDI Note On to assign pitches to individual oscillators when you select them in the GUI.

It is very musical if you are open minded and experimental. 8)
Thanks for the reply. It would make such a lush electric piano from what I’ve heard.

The developer says that it is playable on a keyboard, so I’m a little confused now... Think I’ll wait and see what develops.

simmo75 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 am
foosnark wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:23 pm It's not meant to be played with MIDI (other than specialized MPE control), but you can use MIDI Note On to assign pitches to individual oscillators when you select them in the GUI.

Thanks for the reply. It would make such a lush electric piano from what I’ve heard.

The developer says that it is playable on a keyboard, so I’m a little confused now... Think I’ll wait and see what develops.
I think all you can with midi is set the oscillator's base frequency and I am not sure if that can be automated at all. I dont think this can be thought of as a synth in the usual way, but more as a sound source. I have not tried playing it through Pitchmap yet - that might be quite amazing...or not :)

EDIT - tried pitchmap with fundamental and it is amazing

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:37 am
simmo75 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 am

I think all you can with midi is set the oscillator's base frequency and I am not sure if that can be automated at all. I dont think this can be thought of as a synth in the usual way, but more as a sound source. I have not tried playing it through Pitchmap yet - that might be quite amazing...or not :)

EDIT - tried pitchmap with fundamental and it is amazing
Now it has become VERY interesting for me!

It looks and sounds awesome. But iLok is a no-go.

A fascinating sound generator. Didn't take me more than a few hours to press the button. I am continually torn between using it as I guess it is really intended, standalone, and filtering it. Both work well. There are so many sound and modulation possibilities available within it. I hope they get sufficient sales to embark on the next project, the HP pulse generator.

Ordered a Launch Control XL to try to map things out to make it more tactile.

Is real time pitch shifting the only way to play this melodically? Can you use some sort of keytracked filter? Pitchmap looks interesting, but crazy expensive.

The main thing is, this is really not meant to be a keyboard instrument. Using test equipment for electronic music predates voltage-controlled synthesizers. So you have to think outside the box. But it's also a VST plugin where you can automate and assign controls...

Since this includes 8 oscillators, you could control them by mapping knobs or faders to their levels. That's similar to how I record my drone ambient stuff with hardware modular.

Theoretically, with Bitwig's Keytrack and either Math or Polynom modulators, there should be a way to map MIDI notes to frequency. The frequency parameter is linear, but you want exponential for normal tuning. In practice, I gave up after several minutes of trying.

You could sample it. :D

I have been hosting it in Voltage Modular, automating it and (sometimes) filtering it with the Vult filters. Sounds incredible.

I had thought of sampling or resynthesizing it (using Alchemy or Harmor) as well. I understand the basic concept of using old test equipment to generate tones and understand that the resulting frequencies will be somewhat random, but when I manage to generate a tone that is interesting, I then want to be able to play that tone up and down the keyboard using my chosen notes.

@lnikj - can you please elaborate on how you are filtering this with the Vult filters?

Return to “Instruments”