Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

First congratulations for this gem - love it...!

It seems the combfilter keytrack ignores the pitch bend. Key should always include pitch bend...
I am also missing oscillator frequency as modulation destination...
Usually I can modulate anything within Bitwig, but as oscillator frequency has two controls I can’t work around it. The frequency destination has to be a continuous one of course...

sinkmusic wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:43 pm Hi, Wavewarden,
How did your thesis go? I h ope it's all been good and that you managed to succeed !
Yip, went supersmooth, thanks!
Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:41 am I am also missing oscillator frequency as modulation destination...
Usually I can modulate anything within Bitwig, but as oscillator frequency has two controls I can’t work around it. The frequency destination has to be a continuous one of course...
You mean a dedicated knob (modulatable by Bitwig, like Oct/Semi/Fine combined) or a freq modulation destination for all oscs combined inside the modulation matrix?

TheWaveWarden wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:54 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:41 am I am also missing oscillator frequency as modulation destination...
You mean a dedicated knob (modulatable by Bitwig, like Oct/Semi/Fine combined) or a freq modulation destination for all oscs combined inside the modulation matrix?
Inside the matrix. Otherwise you’d have to change the layout, but I am fine with that. This will also help programming drum sounds...

[didnt read whole thread] will this be freeware or commercial product later? just curious

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:56 pm Inside the matrix. Otherwise you’d have to change the layout, but I am fine with that. This will also help programming drum sounds...
I've had this request before.. maybe I'll give it a shot.

Just out of curiosity: You say you can't work around it, but why not just use 3 matrix slots for the 3 oscs?
wwjd wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:17 pm [didnt read whole thread] will this be freeware or commercial product later? just curious
Freeware!

In most synth settings I don’t need any matrix modulation, as in Bitwig I can modulate any automatable parameter to my liking. But in the case of the oscillator frequency I would need to move two controls as soon I would want to make a smooth glissando. As one is in steps, and the other does fine, the fine control would need to make jumps: Clicks and glitches guaranteed...
Its fine to divide it into two controls if you think frequency as something static. Its easier to set it to precise values. But as soon you think in a continuum it wouldn’t help. Thats why it would be nice to have a mod destination which sets the frequency in a continuum, that way we get the best of both worlds...

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:59 pm In most synth settings I don’t need any matrix modulation, as in Bitwig I can modulate any automatable parameter to my liking. But in the case of the oscillator frequency I would need to move two controls as soon I would want to make a smooth glissando. As one is in steps, and the other does fine, the fine control would need to make jumps: Clicks and glitches guaranteed...
Its fine to divide it into two controls if you think frequency as something static. Its easier to set it to precise values. But as soon you think in a continuum it wouldn’t help. Thats why it would be nice to have a mod destination which sets the frequency in a continuum, that way we get the best of both worlds...
For example modulation destination "Osc1 Freq Exp" does modulate frequency continuously. Do that for all three Oscs for example "Modwheel"->"Osc Freq Exp" and now you can now automate the modwheel from Bitwig.

Another possibility would be to use the PitchBend wheel, which does the same thing.

Or am I missing the point? :)

TheWaveWarden wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:29 pm For example modulation destination "Osc1 Freq Exp" does modulate frequency continuously. Do that for all three Oscs for example "Modwheel"->"Osc Freq Exp" and now you can now automate the modwheel from Bitwig.

Another possibility would be to use the PitchBend wheel, which does the same thing.

Or am I missing the point? :)
My bad, I must have been blind or something... All is there! Apologies...

TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:38 pm Disclaimer 2: If you are easily offended by grammar mistakes you better not click that link.
I expected to be one of the haters, but just had to click the link anyway. It's actually a really well written manual! Great use of screen shots, enough to be useful but without crowding out the text or making the page count stupid. And I like the chatty yet clear writing style.

Another question/suggestion re modulation. It would be fun if the modulation amounts and/or scale were MIDI learnable (or, what amounts to the same thing, if MIDI CCs could be chosen as modulation sources). Then you could use a control surface to turn different bits of modulation on or off or adjust the amounts. Or is there already a way to do that?

ahanysz wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:27 am Another question/suggestion re modulation. It would be fun if the modulation amounts and/or scale were MIDI learnable (or, what amounts to the same thing, if MIDI CCs could be chosen as modulation sources). Then you could use a control surface to turn different bits of modulation on or off or adjust the amounts. Or is there already a way to do that?
That's a nice idea!

The only way to do anything like this currently is to MIDI learn Modwheel or X or Y and use these in the matrix.

k, who wants to share their "Jump" preset?

wwjd wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 am k, who wants to share their "Jump" preset?
What's a Jump preset?
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

3lu5iv3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:09 pm
wwjd wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 am k, who wants to share their "Jump" preset?
What's a Jump preset?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYN7mTi6HM

I wouldn't mind a set of dry/wet controls for Filter 3...so you could independently pass as little or as much of Filters 1&2 through it.
Wouldn't mind an independent set of Unison controls for each oscillator instead of the global arrangement either.

And one last thing: mute switches for the oscillators.
On a number of Macs

Return to “Instruments”