One Synth Challenge #136: Odin 2 by The Wave Warden (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MalToné wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:33 pm
Najimad wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:53 pm I have already registered, otherwise could not have posted here
Hi Najimad,

First, welcome to OSC!

Good you were able to submit this month. I left some comments, I hope they are helpful. Your Bach inspired creation using the Tricent was interesting, sorry you missed entering in time...

As Doctorbob mentioned, the voting registration is separate from registering to post here, but it just takes a minute. I couldn't find the voting link, but once voting is opened, a link will be posted here.

Cheers!
Ok, I see. Thanks (also @ doctorbob)

My final submission

could not make it the way I wanted to, because VSTi is buggy. After reloading project on some midi tracks there was no sound any more, I had this issue during tracking, too.
Wanted to re-arrange first mix and de-harsh. Now I did as much I could with ReaEQ and TDR Nova on the whole mix, it is darker now, better than too bright, also made it a little shorter.

https://soundcloud.com/user-216327424/n ... ission-mix

@Naji, you can change your mix etc right up to the last minute of the month! Also, make sure your track is downloadable by checking that box in the "Permissions" part of the track characteristics ... simply "edit" the track! Most people here have forgotten at some time to do it!

dB

PS - I had it go silent on me sometimes. Re-loading the preset usually helped. Also using Reaper.

Najimad wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:18 pm could not make it the way I wanted to, because VSTi is buggy. After reloading project on some midi tracks there was no sound any more, I had this issue during tracking, too.
doctorbob wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:07 pm PS - I had it go silent on me sometimes. Re-loading the preset usually helped. Also using Reaper.
Could you both please both file a superdetailled bug-report on my website? I haven't encountered this issue, and it is not entirely clear from your description how to reproduce it.

Once I see it, I might be able to fix it :tu:

@wavewarden ... Posting here so it doesn't get others ...

Simple case ... use the formant filter ... set the transitions to be the same e.g. "A" ... nothing now gets through the filter and you can't reset it ... easy to do inadvertantly ...

dB

Najimad wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:17 pm
wireframewolves wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:17 pm My submission for this comp:

https://soundcloud.com/wireframewolves/seidr

Mostly wanted to see what kind of sound design I could achieve with this (possibly at the expense of melody and harmony and general pleasantness). Apologies for the abrasive track.
Nice experimental sounds. but waaaaaaaaaaaay too loud, I think I need new speakers haha
Thanks for the feedback, I toned it down a bit.

doctorbob wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:17 pm @wavewarden ... Posting here so it doesn't get others ...
Simple case ... use the formant filter ... set the transitions to be the same e.g. "A" ... nothing now gets through the filter and you can't reset it ... easy to do inadvertantly ...
I just tried this, and I'm not able to reproduce it by setting the vowels the same. However, I ran into a similar issue a while back with Vowel 2, specifically when the formant filter is in the Filter 2 slot. The vowel index is off by 1, so "E" is actually "A", and "A" results in undefined behavior. It's possible you're misidentifying the particular condition causing the issue, as I did initially. If it is the same issue, TheWaveWarden answered my bug report saying it's fixed for the next version. (Hooray for that, but I wish the update was coming sooner.)
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:47 pm I just tried this, and I'm not able to reproduce it by setting the vowels the same. However, I ran into a similar issue a while back with Vowel 2, specifically when the formant filter is in the Filter 2 slot. The vowel index is off by 1, so "E" is actually "A", and "A" results in undefined behavior. It's possible you're misidentifying the particular condition causing the issue, as I did initially. If it is the same issue, TheWaveWarden answered my bug report saying it's fixed for the next version. (Hooray for that, but I wish the update was coming sooner.)
Yes, Filter2 Formant is buggy in the 2.1.0 version. The issue is fixed and will become available in the next update. The update depends on sorting and renaming the patch-library. This takes a while, but will be completed much sooner thanks to the help of Richard Semper.

Sorry to keep you waiting, but I fear there will be no new version before OSC is finished.
doctorbob wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:17 pm @wavewarden ... Posting here so it doesn't get others ...
Sorry, but this is not very detailled. What OS, which DAW? Which Filter slot are you using? Is this the issue described by FrogsInPants or a different one?

It would be really easiest for me if you issued the bugreport on my website with very detailled step by step explanation how you arrive at the bug. Its hard for me to keep track of stuff which is posted over several posts in several forums and threads, the bugreport form makes it much easier. Thanks :tu:

@wavewarden ... OK bug reported at the website ...

Thanks for your attention though, great to have a dev here ...

So, how would I do a decent SAX patch? Particularly a growly tenor which I can pitch bend to hell?
So far eluding me ...

Again for those here ... formant filter in slot 2 ... leave vowel 1 at A, move vowel 2 up to the Ü, then down to "A" sound stops. Moving vowel 2 away from "A" and you get sound again. BUT, leave vowel 2 at "A", no matter what you change vowel 1 to, NO sound still. Reaper 64-bit, win10 64-bit.

Cheers,

dB

Odin 2 is really a great free synth.
I will join the challenge this month again.
This is a first test and not my entry for this month :-)

https://soundcloud.com/user-221952934-5 ... BtZ9smiyx4

doctorbob wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:00 pm Again for those here ... formant filter in slot 2 ... leave vowel 1 at A, move vowel 2 up to the Ü, then down to "A" sound stops. Moving vowel 2 away from "A" and you get sound again. BUT, leave vowel 2 at "A", no matter what you change vowel 1 to, NO sound still. Reaper 64-bit, win10 64-bit.
Ok thanks for the report! As said earlier, this issue is known and will be fixed in the next version. In the meantime just try to avoid the formant filter in slot 2 ;-)
Juergen wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:41 pm Odin 2 is really a great free synth.

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://soundcloud.com/user-221952934-5 ... iyx4</span>
Great! Looking forward to your submission!

TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:11 pm You could try to draw them: Photonic very faithfully recreated a cello patch by redrawing the waveforms from a cello sample in the WaveDraw Oscillator. I can hardly imagine that being illegal, but I'm not a judge.
I would like to look into this issue. I really like the idea of drawing waves in Wavedraw and Specdraw oscillators! I think that this "method" will not bring hyperrealistic results, but will be a good starting point for further work with sound. And, although this is technically not against the rules, I would like to find out more about the attitude of the community and administrators to this approach this month, before going deeper into its implementation.

I guess I was too impressed with the idea!) If the piano wave is drawn accurately enough (almost from tracing paper) I still got a chippy-tone) It doesn't look like it's going to be a secret weapon, but it's still fun! Hey, I drew a field and a house on it, and it sounds a lot better than my piano wave! :lol: :lol: :lol:
P.S. However, the line in WaveDrawOsc could be thinner! :hihi:

Juergen wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:41 pm Odin 2 is really a great free synth.
Nice. I really like that part that starts at 2:15.

IV! wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:12 pm
TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:11 pm You could try to draw them: Photonic very faithfully recreated a cello patch by redrawing the waveforms from a cello sample in the WaveDraw Oscillator. I can hardly imagine that being illegal, but I'm not a judge.
I would like to look into this issue. I really like the idea of drawing waves in Wavedraw and Specdraw oscillators! I think that this "method" will not bring hyperrealistic results, but will be a good starting point for further work with sound. And, although this is technically not against the rules, I would like to find out more about the attitude of the community and administrators to this approach this month, before going deeper into its implementation.
From my point of view it also completely according our rules. It was not mentioned anywhere that we are not allowed to use any module of Odin. So we can draw whatever we want in the Wavedraw. And it was not an import of a wave into Wavedraw (which could be nice and easier to do). I tried to draw the wave as good as possible and was curious if it sounds similar to the original. And it did!
But the method is very limited. It only works with sounds that are very static, have only single sources (solo instruments, no ensemble) and is not working with any kind of percussive sounds, because they do vary the timbre too much over time. For me it worked for the chello and oboe. You will hear them in my track, coming soon!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Return to “Instruments”