Arturia OB-Xa V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OP-Xa V

fmr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:35 am Anyway, those who buy OB-Xa V now will have their investment protected. :)
Speculation and if it turns out to be true probably only for V Collection 7 owners. I have V Collection 6 so I very much doubt I'd get back the $99 on the OB-Xa as and when I upgrade to V Collection 8+.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:18 am
fmr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:35 am Anyway, those who buy OB-Xa V now will have their investment protected. :)
Speculation and if it turns out to be true probably only for V Collection 7 owners. I have V Collection 6 so I very much doubt I'd get back the $99 on the OB-Xa as and when I upgrade to V Collection 8+.
You can upgrade NOW to V Collection 7 for 149 :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:33 am
But if VC8 upgrade from VC7 + OB-Xa V turns out to be $99, it will be $248 spent overall. Versus VC6 to VC8 upgrade, which IMO won't be more than $199 for sure. If anything, it would be $149 at most.

I guess the OB-Xa V advantage is only for those who have VC7 right now or for those who don't have any V Collection at all.

EDIT: Of course, the above is valid only if Arturia does not suddenly bring in a new, never-before-seen upgrade prices of $49 or $69 for the V Collection. So far minimum has been $99.

Oh I know, but I want to wait until V Collection 8 comes out as I don't find the Synthi, Mellotron and Casio that were added compelling enough for that upgrade price. Chances are at some point I'll be able to go from V6 to V8 get all those plus OB-Xa and whatever is added in 8 for less money overall.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:19 pm
Oh I know, but I want to wait until V Collection 8 comes out as I don't find the Synthi, Mellotron and Casio that were added compelling enough for that upgrade price. Chances are at some point I'll be able to go from V6 to V8 get all those plus OB-Xa and whatever is added in 8 for less money overall.
The CZ synth is quite unique actually and the synthi does sounds very good too.

Maybe but I've got a XILS 4, MTron Pro and CZ is covered by UVI Vintage Vault so not exactly in a rush. Same with the OB-Xa, got OPX Pro II and the bx_oberhausen. I know they're not exactly the same, but close enough to keep my cash for now.

Are you safe?

Was playing around with the multimode filters and a famous Rush preset fell out of this synth, it needs some fine tuning and maybe some chorus, but it's already pretty close.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ob-xa- ... /downloads

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:19 pm
I encourage you to have another look at those plugins. I was sort of the same as you, and then I was told to take another look at Synthi, and I was really impressed. Easily one of the best analog emulations out there. I didn’t think I’d be into CZ V either, but it was surprisingly good. I really had no experience with the CZ line and phase distortion synthesis, but it was surprisingly I easy to understand and produce really good sounds. The Mellowtron is a good emulation, but what’s really fun about it is that you can bring in your own samples for treatment in its tape emulation. All in all, I got more value out of it than I thought I would.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

PAK wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:37 pm
waltercruz wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:31 pm I tried to match the 'I want to break free' lead but failed (I have only the demo of OP-X). There's something different about OP-X unison, I guess.
Here you go. Keep in mind, for this one, everything has to be tuned fairly precisely.. EG those attack knobs are set to 11ms, not zero. Also voice detune at 0.072.. ie a lot less than you'd think. Portamento 0.001. 6 voice poly, 6 voice unison. Added Mod matrix to the screenshot and assigned the Modwheel to pitchbend two notes, with the bender to 1 to help playing. This is a sound which would benefit from a ribbon to play properly :)
This is great! do you have anymore of these? with others 80's songs :tu:

Zipede wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:22 pm Was playing around with the multimode filters and a famous Rush preset fell out of this synth, it needs some fine tuning and maybe some chorus, but it's already pretty close.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ob-xa- ... /downloads
Thanks great work!

+1 Great work. Thank you for sharing
Take care :wink:

zammo wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:16 am This is great! do you have anymore of these? with others 80's songs :tu:
Nah. Other than I posted settings for the pad from Killing Joke's "Love Like Blood" earlier, which OBXA V can do really well (original is OB-X afaik). I was checking the cross-mod at the time, and the implementation on OP-X Pro is superior to OB-XA V, because you can use a trimmer to push the range further and get more interesting sounds out of it, IMO..

In the case of "Break Free" the poster said he couldn't get OB-XA V to do it, and I thought it "should" be able. So I made the sound to check I was correct. It's only when you closely match sounds, between things, that you get a better sense of what's "actually" different, and I usually try to check before I open my mouth.

Anyway, the original "Break Free" sound was a Jupiter 8, and ironically the "muffled" nature of OP-X's filter actually helps it, since it's quite a closed filter sound. I matched OP-X rather than the original though. I think the original sound likely does its final pitch bend by manually adjusting the Jupiter 8's pitch range slider live. (Another reason to increase the tuning range Arturia ;) ) Overall, I actually prefer the OBXA V version, but there's maybe a bit of saturated fuzz to OP-X it misses, and the distortion Arturia includes is easily the worst of its FX :(

FWIW to the few maybe interested.. OB-XA V's filter is still brighter than OP-X even when fully closed. So you HAVE to use the mod matrix to shut the filter down further (using KEY position), because OP-X's filter keytracking is brighter than OB-XA V down low, but more muffled up high. Unless people know to do stuff like that they won't be able to get things to match up.

Unlike the earlier SEM V, you can't draw the keyboard track shape in the modulator, so you can't "nail" the difference. The basic matrix still gets close, just not as close as it could be if Arturia hadn't removed that feature, which is a shame.

Is the a way to bypass all effects at once?

I can't seem to fina way to do this and the manual doesn't seem to mention anything, thanks!

PAK wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:37 am
In the case of "Break Free" the poster said he couldn't get OB-XA V to do it, and I thought it "should" be able. So I made the sound to check I was correct. It's only when you closely match sounds, between things, that you get a better sense of what's "actually" different, and I usually try to check before I open my mouth.

Anyway, the original "Break Free" sound was a Jupiter 8, and ironically the "muffled" nature of OP-X's filter actually helps it, since it's quite a closed filter sound. I matched OP-X rather than the original though. I think the original sound likely does its final pitch bend by manually adjusting the Jupiter 8's pitch range slider live. (Another reason to increase the tuning range Arturia ;) ) Overall, I actually prefer the OBXA V version, but there's maybe a bit of saturated fuzz to OP-X it misses, and the distortion Arturia includes is easily the worst of its FX :(

Maybe if I got more time with Arturia... But I'm using the demo, so only 20 minutes and can't save the preset, so meh. BUt filter behaviour is very different
PAK wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:37 am
FWIW to the few maybe interested.. OB-XA V's filter is still brighter than OP-X even when fully closed. So you HAVE to use the mod matrix to shut the filter down further (using KEY position), because OP-X's filter keytracking is brighter than OB-XA V down low, but more muffled up high. Unless people know to do stuff like that they won't be able to get things to match up.
That's was my problem trying to match OPX-Pro II patches on other synths. By example, the Jump preset, when I match the low end, the high notes are too bright, when I match the high-notes, the low-end is gone. But even so, I did a almost exact copy of the Break Free Lead on Repro-5 :)

waltercruz wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:15 pm Maybe if I got more time with Arturia... But I'm using the demo, so only 20 minutes and can't save the preset, so meh. BUt filter behaviour is very different
Great. You could (just about) input that screenshot and still have 3 mins left to play it then, huh? :D Arturia, you really should consider increasing the demo limit.. :) :party:
That's was my problem trying to match OPX-Pro II patches on other synths. By example, the Jump preset, when I match the low end, the high notes are too bright, when I match the high-notes, the low-end is gone. But even so, I did a almost exact copy of the Break Free Lead on Repro-5 :)
Cool.. :) Sometimes synths might have similar filter keytracking. When they don't you need to look for keytrack in the mod-matrix / modifiers. It's a very important feature if you want to copy a sound from one synth to another. Otherwise you have to hope both synths have a similar default tracking (and they usually don't ;) )

You might have also noticed, when you do stuff like that, you start to build a real knowledge about the smaller differences between synths in ways which you may not otherwise notice, which can then help you better in deciding what's really different and whether a synth is worthy of your time.. :)

Return to “Instruments”