Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

I suggest a second unison mode, indicated by a half-lit LED: 4x4 voices, that would sound fat enough and at the same time allow for chords.

I'm curious if Richard ever mentioned working on an Filter FX plugin. Something along the lines of The Drop but compiles some of the various Synapse filters.

SLiC wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:03 am In many ways I am happy with a lower/fair but 'constant' price than slashing the price later devaluing the product for anyone who paid full price (like almost 80% off Syntronik the moment = screw you to everyone who paid $200 for it recently and anything from PA can be had for 20-30 bucks at some point! )
People who do not wait for a sale have it many months sooner. You don't live forever. There is not only cost as in monetary but also cost in time and opportunity cost.
That said, paying more also means an opportunity to give back more, support the developer more than with buying in a sale.
Sales therefore are not per se a slap in the face of early buyers.
If your wallet allows it, you can support the developer by buying at full price. And you can use it for longer (because the time between the purchase and your death is longer if you buy sooner). Not a rip off.
Of course, there are some companies where there is an immense difference between regular prices and sales prices. The situation may seem a bit different there.
Last edited by blue monk on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:33 am Why does it bother you when it is being sold at Christmas next year for $50? What do you lose now? What is your fear?
It's a scarcity mindset. Understandable but a self-defeating belief. You always think small that way. Keeps you poor.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:07 pm Maybe an OB-Xa is not as satisfying to make pads either. Diva is very good all around. Plenty of overlap between it and Obsession, but for some tasks either one would be better suited.
It depends what one thinks of as "pads". Some people see them as glorious evolving ambient thingamajigies, with various states of movement and complexity; whilst others see them more as muted strings with minimal movement and complexity - which in their perception is actually quite a bit of movement. Some see the universe, others see plush mattresses and pillows.

Some pads allow you compose with them rather than being restricted to the point where you have to compose around them. And most people look for the former.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Besides a lot of typical analog sounds I had done some pads that you might expect from a dedicated FM or wavetable synth (also with using the X-Mod and/or modulation of this parameter) and i did not expect to get some of those sounds when i started programming OBsession. Also the Shimmer and Regen effects in the Reverb are an important parts of some of my Pads.

As i already mentioned i think it is really awesome for Pads and Synth Strings.

While i already did several Dual patches and some are in the factory content i will explore this further in the future and i am sure this could offer some nice new patches.
I admit that while having done some patches with it i am not too much interested in the Split feature as opposing to the Dual mode this does not really offer new sound design options.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

An underrated synth for pads is XILS-Lab PolyM (Moog Polymoog). I'm also liking Brainworx bx_oberhausen as a Oberheim SEM pad machine.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:30 am An underrated synth for pads is XILS-Lab PolyM (Moog Polymoog). I'm also liking Bainworx bx_oberhausen as a Oberheim SEM pad machine.
Bainworx bx_oberhausen is realy very good- you can get it for about 20 bucks at the moment (its on sale for 40 but PA are sending out 20 off vouchers, I just got one today)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

@electro: I love the Xils Lab synths and PolyM is awesome.

While OBSession currently is my most used one For "Oberheimish" sounds i got those plugins:
- Synapse Audio OBSession
- Arturia SEM V2
- Arturia Matrix-12 V2
- OB-Xd (freeware)
- U-He Diva (Uhbie filter)
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:51 am
electro wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:30 am An underrated synth for pads is XILS-Lab PolyM (Moog Polymoog). I'm also liking Bainworx bx_oberhausen as a Oberheim SEM pad machine.
Bainworx bx_oberhausen is realy very good- you can get it for about 20 bucks at the moment (its on sale for 40 but PA are sending out 20 off vouchers, I just got one today)
Yes! That was just the sale I needed. Thanks for the heads up. :tu:

I just did a resonant sweep (full Reso) using a single voice and a reset for the voice variations. I then compared this to the same sweep with the Resonance set to maximum in the voice edit page (default there is the center of the bipolar knob).
The difference with the 2-pole LPF is small but with the 4-pole LPF it is really obvious and not just subtile.

I had used this in 2 of my latest patches that use the 4-pole LPF at full resonance and wheer i can clearly hear that difference too.

FWIW the same difference with the increased Resonance is found with the 4-pole Bandpass filter.

Instead of extending the Resonance range in the voice edit pages you can also do that in the mod matrix by routing a "Const" mod source to "Resonance". There you can even modulate it with e.g. an envelope, LFO, Modwheel or Aftertouch. In some of my patches i assigned the Resonance to the Modwheel.

For the Resonance, Cutoff and pulse widths the values at the main GUI and the values in the mod matrix (with a Const mod source) are behaving additive so with all 3 the range can be extended. Same with the "Volume" mod destination.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:56 am @electro: I love the Xils Lab synths and PolyM is awesome.

While OBSession currently is my most used one For "Oberheimish" sounds i got those plugins:
- Arturia SEM V2
- Arturia Matrix-12 V2
- OB-Xd (freeware)
While I know the Oberheim OB sound from a few records (Grover Washington Jr. etc.), I don't know what the Oberheim sound is supposed to be, if it has a signature sound so to speak. One can make all sorts of sounds with such a poly synth, just like with a Prophet or Jupiter. And with some skill, I doubt that the results are very different.

e-crooner wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:12 pm
Ingonator wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:56 am @electro: I love the Xils Lab synths and PolyM is awesome.

- Arturia SEM V2
- Arturia Matrix-12 V2
- OB-Xd (freeware)
While I know the Oberheim OB sound from a few records (Grover Washington Jr. etc.), I don't know what the Oberheim sound is supposed to be, if it has a signature sound so to speak. One can make all sorts of sounds with such a poly synth, just like with a Prophet or Jupiter. And with some skill, I doubt that the results are very different.
They're different. Moog, Sequential, Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Oberheim, etc. have different a different character to them. You can approximate some with another, yes. Usually it's hard to make them sound indistinguishable - for a reason. Emulations can stretch things further, draw from other sources, and further enable more cross-over than the hardware, which can blur the lines.

If I were forced to describe what the oberheim sound is to me in short descriptive words, I would first say Dark and then Fat.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:38 pm If I were forced to describe what the oberheim sound is to me in short descriptive words, I would first say Dark and then Fat.
rsp
Plus "resonant" and "dreamy". Depends a bit on the OB in question. The OB-6, for example, can be those, or it can be a precise, bright beast, given the Sequential D.N.A. of it. As a non-expert in the matter, to me, the filters are a big part of the Oberheim sound. Of course, they filter the oscillators, so those maybe have a something to do with it, too :D

Return to “Instruments”