One Synth Challenge #136: Odin 2 by The Wave Warden (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

empphryio wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 am
Juergen wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:41 pm Odin 2 is really a great free synth.
I will join the challenge this month again.
This is a first test and not my entry for this month :-)
Nice. I really like that part that starts at 2:15.
I'm really glad you like it :-)

Here is another test:

https://soundcloud.com/user-221952934-5 ... koNApARhRY

Still not my entry :)

doctorbob wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:57 pm Ok, here's my shopping mall inspired tune!!!!!!!!
Oh, if only my local shopping mall would play such cheerful music! Thanks for brightening up my day!

Here is my submission. Critical feedback very much desired.
https://soundcloud.com/infinitetelemachy/empphyrio
31 instances in Reaper 6.08
Usually unison 3 but needed to freeze some tracks. Lots of green eugene and valhalla supermassive. Some molot, mautopan, orilriver, tdr kotelnikov, tdr slick eq, OTT, ReaEQ, bx_subfilter, Mwavefolder, A1Triggergate (with unfortunate tiny clicks, if anyone knows how to avoid that would love to know)
TDR Nova, TDR kotelnikov and Limiter No. 6 on Masters
Thank you WaveWarden. I would happily check out anything commercial by you in the future.
Also curious to check out presets later also. I made 30 or 40 myself but they really weren't anything special. Probably used photonics (to start with) more often than my own. (I don't keep track of how much I tweak something from a preset and have little idea even how much were my own presets ultimately.)

Two Months - Oh God For One More Breath
https://soundcloud.com/user-384367534/o ... ore-breath

First time attempting the one synth challenge.
Tried for a dark, ambient piece that was short enough it didn't get repetitive, ha.
Just 19 instances, lots of low, bass tones and percussive effects.
No effects used in post, just used what the synth offered.
Last edited by twomonths on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
get quiet

empphryio wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:11 am Here is my submission. Critical feedback very much desired.
https://soundcloud.com/infinitetelemachy/empphyrio
31 instances in Reaper 6.08
[...], Mwavefolder, [...]
The Melda Page says: MWaveFolder is an analog-inspired distortion module with a unique character ranging from mild harmonic enhancement to complete sound destruction.
Just fattened the part which might be problemtic. Rules allow Distortion FX like Saturators outside the synth but they must not be used extensively to change the charater of the synth.
It's up to you to review the use of the plugin... mild or complete destruction ...

] Peter:H [

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:05 am The Melda Page says: MWaveFolder is an analog-inspired distortion module with a unique character ranging from mild harmonic enhancement to complete sound destruction.
Just fattened the part which might be problemtic. Rules allow Distortion FX like Saturators outside the synth but they must not be used extensively to change the charater of the synth.
It's up to you to review the use of the plugin... mild or complete destruction ...

I will remove wavefolder. Shouldn't make a noticeable difference. It was just one or two instances and nothing extreme. I generally used the distortion from within odin2. I just try here and there other effects for the sake of learning.

empphryio wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:56 am
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:05 am The Melda Page says: MWaveFolder is an analog-inspired distortion module with a unique character ranging from mild harmonic enhancement to complete sound destruction.

I will remove wavefolder. Shouldn't make a noticeable difference. It was just one or two instances and nothing extreme. I generally used the distortion from within odin2. I just try here and there other effects for the sake of learning.
If the difference is not noticeable, then please leave it in. That was why I pointed out that "subtle" use is allowed by the rules.

@AHANYSZ ... thank you ... glad it made you smile ... it was a Mungo Jerry inspired tune :D

dB

twomonths wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:35 am Two Months - Oh God For One More Breath
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://soundcloud.com/user-384367534/o ... eath</span>

First time attempting the one synth challenge.
Tried for a dark, ambient piece that was short enough it didn't get repetitive, ha.
Just 13 instances, lots of low, bass tones and percussive effects.
No effects used in post, just used what the synth offered.
Welcome to OSC, nice track!

You have invented a new genre with the beginning and ending, maybe it would be Horror-Ambient-Dance or HADM?

I mean that in the most complimentary way. :tu:

RC
Last edited by MalToné on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

ahanysz wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:27 am
doctorbob wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:57 pm Ok, here's my shopping mall inspired tune!!!!!!!!
Oh, if only my local shopping mall would play such cheerful music! Thanks for brightening up my day!
Right? Mall music is like from H-E-double-toothpicks...

empphryio wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:11 am Here is my submission. Critical feedback very much desired.
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://soundcloud.com/infinitetelemach ... yrio</span>
I gave it a couple of good listens and,

The bad: None. Nothing stood out to me as needing improvement, I wouldn't change anything.

The Good: Where to start? The harmonic development right after the opening is a good foreshadowing of the further development to come. There are constantly evolving layers of instruments, effects and musical variety that keep the listener's interest. The sound design and mix are top notch. There are yet two more changes in harmonic structure as the piece ends, that is just d@mn brilliant!

I love it! I think you will do well in the competition voting. :tu: :tu:
Last edited by MalToné on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey everyone! Great tracks popping out everywhere now, I really enjoy what I've been hearing so far! :tu:
mmGhost wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:06 am
mmGhost wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:37 pm @WaveWarden - Logic Pro AU version isn't recording in XY automation. Is this a known issue? i didn't have issue automating other stuff...
for that matter it looks like latching in any automation by hand doesn't work in Logic Pro X with AU.
No, I hear that for the first time. Please be a deer and open a bugreport on my website. :wink:
Also include what you mean exactly by "latching". Is that a Logic thing?

photonic wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:22 pm TheWaveWarden told us not to spread our presets on the web, before Odin2 came out officially.
Actually that was meant for the patch-library I uploaded here. I just want to avoid a patch library circling around the internet which isn't maintained.

You can share all your personal patches in any way you see fit of course! :tu:

MalToné wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:52 pm Right? Mall music is like from H-E-double-toothpicks...
I was sort of referring to the music shop where they get a guy in to demo one of (or more than one) organs/keyboards and he fires up a preset backing and plays along ... and the muzak seems to resound around the mall (or shopping centre over this side of the pond!!).

However, the track in reality starts with the bass and keys players starting up a basic sequence, the guitarist finds his way in and then the drummer finally gets the message. Once they are all playing, you get a melody played on a Kazoo (or paper and a comb!!!), and then the middle solo on a Hammond style organ with a touch of Leslie! If any of that makes sense, but maybe I am just out of my mind?

dB

Return to “Instruments”