Xils 201 (Emulation of Sennheiser VSM 201 Vocoder) (Intro price)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
XILS 201 Vocoder

Lotuzia wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:29 am Thanks Captain, yes it's better :tu:. I already spotted the 'it's' and 'Rhythmic' and a few other things, but I would never have found the Cylons.
I wonder if offer should not be replaced by 'offers' too (each of the two filter banks offerS ....')
You are welcome! And yes, you are right, it should be "offers" (I couldn't make it too good!). :lol:

After a quick workout...
It definitely has a different sound palette than the XILS5000.
Takes more effort to create a discernible articulate understandable vocoder voice than the 5000.
Some more usable vocal presets would be nice, not one of the vocal presets were usable without a tweak, not really liking the FX presets. The 5000 default preset is the bees knees in comparison.
At the moment Logic 10.12 Sierra is doing the little noise bump and then nothing thing. Re-instantiate then it’s fine for a while.
It would be really cool to have an in depth tutorial apart from the manual which is a little ‘Frenglish‘.
I did manage to tweak something nice though...
I’m kinda liking it but I fell ‘head over’ right away with the 5000.
Early days... would be nice to hear if anyone else is getting the Logic problem.

Captain wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 am
Lotuzia wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:29 am Thanks Captain, yes it's better :tu:. I already spotted the 'it's' and 'Rhythmic' and a few other things, but I would never have found the Cylons.
I wonder if offer should not be replaced by 'offers' too (each of the two filter banks offerS ....')
You are welcome! And yes, you are right, it should be "offers" (I couldn't make it too good!). :lol:
FWIW : "offer" was correct ("Each of the two Filter Banks offer 20 frequency bands"). I'd also suggest replacing "analog" with "analogue".

Ooh whilst we're on typo correction and the weird way us English un-pluralise certain multiple words:

In [all] the installers it refers to the VSTs as 32 bits and 64 bits rather than just 32 bit and 64 bit (the extra 's' isn't needed)

Also the grammar is a little off in the first line where you pick the folders :
"Select the folders in which the plugIn 32bits, and its settings files should be installed ,then click Next."

should be:
"Select the folders in which the 32 bit plugins and their setting files should be installed, then click Next."

dna_studios wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:10 pm FWIW : "offer" was correct ("Each of the two Filter Banks offer 20 frequency bands"). I'd also suggest replacing "analog" with "analogue".
(This is turning into a grammar school... but I don’t mind :lol: )

I think ”offers” is indeed correct, at least according to most common grammar rules. For example: https://www.grammar.com/each-singular-or-plural/

Captain wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:47 pm
dna_studios wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:10 pm FWIW : "offer" was correct ("Each of the two Filter Banks offer 20 frequency bands"). I'd also suggest replacing "analog" with "analogue".

I think ”offers” is indeed correct, at least according to most common grammar rules. For example: https://www.grammar.com/each-singular-or-plural/
"Offers" it is!

Back on topic: just upgraded to the Analog Vocoders Bundle. :tu:

I'd love to hear more examples.
I admit I'm a vocoder novice, and found the EMS emulation hard to use/understand when I tried it out.

Captain wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:33 am
Actually... isn't it "two filter banks offer xyz", and if it's singular it's the other way around, "the filter bank offers xyz"? I think that's correct.

English is weird.

EDIT: looks like I missed the grammar school posts. But yes, using "offers" is wrong in this context, should be fixed :) The link there referring to "each" does not relate to this situation here.

Maybe the non native speakers shouldn't be offering language corrections :p
Amazon: why not use an alternative

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:50 am Actually... isn't it "two filter banks offer xyz", and if it's singular it's the other way around, "the filter bank offers xyz"? I think that's correct.

English is weird.

EDIT: looks like I missed the grammar school posts. But yes, using "offers" is wrong in this context, should be fixed :) The link there referring to "each" does not relate to this situation here.
(Apologies everyone for still continuing with this... :lol:)

I most respectfully disagree. :D My reasoning goes as follows:

Each of the two Filter Banks offers 20 frequency bands.

Who is offering here? What is the subject of the sentence? It’s ”each” (and not ”filter banks”), which refers to a single entity in a group of many, thus being grammatically singular. Changing the sentence a little makes it clearer:

There are two filter banks. Each offers 20 frequency bands.

The link that I copy&pasted is very much about this exact situation. An example from that page:

Each of the golfers wants to win the PGA.

Let’s then morph it into our sentence:

Each of the golfers wants to win the PGA.
Each of the two golfers wants to win the PGA.
Each of the two filter banks wants to win the PGA.
Each of the two filter banks offers 20 frequency bands.

Does it make sense? :)

Captain wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:47 pm
Offers is incorrect in this context because if the use of “each of.” That turns the plural nature of the multiple plugins into a singular set. You would not say, “our experts offers the best information.”
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Captain wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Each of the two filter banks wants to win the PGA.

Does it make sense? :)
errr, perfectly...

loving the demo

Dave

Captain wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:50 pm(Apologies everyone for still continuing with this... :lol:)

I most respectfully disagree. :D My reasoning goes as follows:

Each of the two Filter Banks offers 20 frequency bands.

Who is offering here? What is the subject of the sentence? It’s ”each” (and not ”filter banks”), which refers to a single entity in a group of many, thus being grammatically singular.
http://guidetogrammar.org/grammar/sv_agr.htm

Point two.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/gramma ... ammar/each

Section "each of".

When we use each of with a plural noun as subject, it’s normally followed by a singular verb:

Each of the buildings is surrounded by high metal fencing.
Each of the horses has won major international races.

Exactly the same use case as here. "filter banks" are the subject here indeed, not "each". You don't mess with Cambridge ;)
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:10 pm Maybe the non native speakers shouldn't be offering language corrections :p
Maybe, but this non-native speaker has been speaking English since 6 years old (that's almost 30 years of using it in practice), I basically think in English by now.

Return to “Instruments”