The Waves Update Plan scam

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ramseysounds wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:35 am You DO NOT have to pay every year to keep them working. I have Waves plugs from 5/6 years ago; every one works flawless. Stop spreading such BS.
Not really related to the quote, but it did make me think of something.
I believe there was 6 years between V9 & 10, which is a reasonable amount. 11 came around quickly because Apple made drastic changes to their operating system.. So 11 was released to make it work on Mac's again, (you could argue with WUP that means PC users are picking up the bill partially for that, since other than some reskins, and a couple plugins added to bundles, there wasn't much PC related).

So now Apple has announced they are dropping Intel and making their own chips, surely, that would break everything again for Mac users, so expect V12 about a couple months after Apple release their first product and updated operating system???

Personally, my main gripe with WUP is when they give away their yearly freebie and a year later send you an email, saying your WUP has expired and can you please pay us some money for the freebie if you want support.

ramseysounds wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:35 am @jochicago - it’s not a scam, it’s a business model. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s called choice.
Selling heroin is also a business model. Is that also "called choice"?

What Waves is doing is considered illegal by US and EU laws (at least), re: deceptive pricing, hidden fees, scam to devalue license transfers. We've covered this plenty, I and others have posted links. Use the search bar.

"If you don’t like it, don’t buy it" is too simple an argument when we are talking about people getting scammed into buying without knowing that a hidden fee is coming up. The reason it's a scam is that people can't know that until it's already happened. Most people don't realize they have been scammed into being unable to sell their plugins until they want to sell them.

How hard are you going to work to avoid seeing the obvious? And you need to realize, the more you defend this garbage, you are helping hurt the next person that falls for it. Although I get the feeling that you don't care.

jochicago wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:32 pm Selling heroin is also a business model. Is that also "called choice"?
Great comparison...

This is about as whiny as it can get. You always have the choice to move on. Face it.

My plugins still work, BTW. Surprisingly. I must be scamming.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:34 pm
jochicago wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:32 pm Selling heroin is also a business model. Is that also "called choice"?
Great comparison...
Thank you. I considered using a ponzi scheme as an example instead, but I thought that would be too convoluted. I'm glad you enjoyed the illegal drug trade reference.

It's actually super ironic considering you complain about a scam.

Is it as ironic as you continuing to pretend you don't understand the scam part? Or maybe as ironic as you calling my post "whiny" after your performance in this thread?

jochicago wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:32 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:35 am @jochicago - it’s not a scam, it’s a business model. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s called choice.
Selling heroin is also a business model. Is that also "called choice"?
Utter garbage. but actually, buying heroin is a choice, but that is way off topic. :roll:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I'd buy heroin before I'd buy any Waves software...... :wheee:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

jochicago wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:51 pm Is it as ironic as you continuing to pretend you don't understand the scam part? Or maybe as ironic as you calling my post "whiny" after your performance in this thread?
Don't twist reality. YOU are the one whining around here, about a company which allegedly scammed you while it has not. ;)

ramseysounds wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 pm buying heroin is a choice,
the first few times maybe.
ive heard its very "moreish".

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:51 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 pm buying heroin is a choice,
the first few times maybe.
ive heard its very "moreish".
Just go away :lol: :lol: :D :wheee: :hyper:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

rollasoc wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:43 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:35 am You DO NOT have to pay every year to keep them working. I have Waves plugs from 5/6 years ago; every one works flawless. Stop spreading such BS.
I believe there was 6 years between V9 & 10, which is a reasonable amount. 11 came around quickly because Apple made drastic changes to their operating system.. So 11 was released to make it work on Mac's again, (you could argue with WUP that means PC users are picking up the bill partially for that, since other than some reskins, and a couple plugins added to bundles, there wasn't much PC related).

So now Apple has announced they are dropping Intel and making their own chips, surely, that would break everything again for Mac users, so expect V12 about a couple months after Apple release their first product and updated operating system???
Indeed.
V12 will arrive by year’s end because of it, only a year after v11, which arrived not much more than a year after v10.
And before people repeat that their Waves plugins are still working after ten or more years: you’re not on a Mac.
Now there’s a choice if ever I saw one ;)

One day we'll look back and think "Remember when customer service was included in the product price". Sigh, those were such innocent times. :D

Fleer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:18 am
rollasoc wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Indeed.
V12 will arrive by year’s end because of it, only a year after v11, which arrived not much more than a year after v10.
And before people repeat that their Waves plugins are still working after ten or more years: you’re not on a Mac.
Now there’s a choice if ever I saw one ;)
I don't think blaming Waves for Apple's constant Operating System bug fixes, changes, updates and upgrades is the answer to the problem.

Because it usually results in incompatibilities and other issues that cost a lot of money and time for 3rd party companies to maintain. Meanwhile, letting their customers suffer all the headaches and downtime.
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

fuzzlightyear wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:27 am I don't think blaming Waves for Apple's constant Operating System bug fixes, changes, updates and upgrades is the answer to the problem.
Maybe because instead of helping their customers navigate Apple's constant system-breaking OS updates, they clearly use it as an opportunity to extract more money from their customers. The fear and threat of your plugins suddenly not working is quite a nice carrot on Waves' stick.

"But you don't have to pay"

Meanwhile the news feed is littered with "developer X updates plugins, adding latest Mac OS compatibility, free for all existing owners."

Return to “Effects”