Xils 201 (Emulation of Sennheiser VSM 201 Vocoder) (Intro price)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
XILS 201 Vocoder

vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:34 pm I'd love to hear more examples.
I admit I'm a vocoder novice, and found the EMS emulation hard to use/understand when I tried it out.
I like to experiment with this vocoder atm. It's very interesting to process various sources, not only human voices. So more sonic examples will -hopefully- come.

As a starting point, to pitch a human voice, and in Cubase (but even if the workflow is similar in other daws, you'll have to adapt it)

1/ Record the original voice on an audio track (prefer. mono) if you don't already have recorded vocals.
2/ In Cubase Mixer, insert the X201 as a VST effect. You can consider to add a compressor before the Vocoder if the vocal track level is not very consistant.
3/ After you have inserted the X201 vocoder, you'll get no sound. Don't worry and see next step.
4/ Create a new MIDI track in Cubase. In the inspector panel, set the Midi routing : Midi Output of the Midi track to the Midi INPUT of the X201 (X201 will appear in the list)
5/ Now just play a melodic line on your midi KB, or chords, in sync with the vocal -audio- part and you will 'sing' it

So, it just requires a few seconds and a few clicks, but this has to be done in a precise order.

You can 'see' an example of all this in my 'Daft punk' Video. I used one Midi track for the main melody. A second one to add a bit of harmony. And finally a third one to automate the Delay Volume, which I assigned to mod wheel in the mod matrix for this patch. https://youtu.be/I9modOKZdRM

Hope it helps.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

oh boy another vocoder... :/ even with the manual i was never able to use the 5000 because i don t understand a single way how it work...(i understand the pin matrix but no way to make a single noise out of it)

hivkorn wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:00 am oh boy another vocoder... :/ even with the manual i was never able to use the 5000 because i don t understand a single way how it work...(i understand the pin matrix but no way to make a single noise out of it)
X201 is easier to user than the 5000 model. If you follow the simple steps in my previous post, that should work in any daw that can route Midi to a VST plugin, it's only a matter of seconds to make it work, with the vst2.4 version. (you can see the settings in the video too)

For more complex scenarii, like using an external Carrier instead of the internal synth, it's better the host can use VST3.

Last : If you own the 5000, the current upgrade price to the bundle x201+5000 is very affordable (39€)

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:47 am
hivkorn wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:00 am oh boy another vocoder... :/ even with the manual i was never able to use the 5000 because i don t understand a single way how it work...(i understand the pin matrix but no way to make a single noise out of it)
X201 is easier to user than the 5000 model. If you follow the simple steps in my previous post, that should work in any daw that can route Midi to a VST plugin, it's only a matter of seconds to make it work, with the vst2.4 version. (you can see the settings in the video too)

For more complex scenarii, like using an external Carrier instead of the internal synth, it's better the host can use VST3.

Last : If you own the 5000, the current upgrade price to the bundle x201+5000 is very affordable (39€)
yep i know but i own Ovox and i i just can t know if i need something else.

Lotuzia wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 am
kelvyn wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:49 am After a quick workout...
It definitely has a different sound palette than the XILS5000.
Takes more effort to create a discernible articulate understandable vocoder voice than the 5000.
Some more usable vocal presets would be nice, not one of the vocal presets were usable without a tweak, not really liking the FX presets. The 5000 default preset is the bees knees in comparison.
At the moment Logic 10.12 Sierra is doing the little noise bump and then nothing thing. Re-instantiate then it’s fine for a while.
It would be really cool to have an in depth tutorial apart from the manual which is a little ‘Frenglish‘.
I did manage to tweak something nice though...
I’m kinda liking it but I fell ‘head over’ right away with the 5000.
Early days... would be nice to hear if anyone else is getting the Logic problem.
I'll send my 'vocoder/voice' and other patches to Xils. So that people can have different starting points. Then ...
One thing I noticed is that if I sung the same part at different octaves, I have to 'tweak more/less' to get similar clarity, but whatever the settings, the end result will still sound rather different, because of the differences between the takes. So the og signal is very important and will determine the resulting part for a 'quite large' part.
For the Logic thing I'll fw your income to Xils.
Hey Lotuzia Thanks:)

hivkorn wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:12 am
Lotuzia wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:47 am

yep i know but i own Ovox and i i just can t know if i need something else.
I wasn't aware of Ovox, so I took some times to view some vids about it, then even went to a friend's ministudio to play with it. Nice tool. Overall, it's Vocoder functions seem to be formant based, and, simply put, to me, it has a different sound from the X201 or 5000. Then some functions can be compared, like the tonal/noise separation, midi routing etc, so if you're familiar with it, it should not be too difficult, hopefully, to adapt to the x201. In the end it's a bit like comparing and analog and a formant or WT synth. Do one need one or another ? Or both ? Or none ? The only way to know perhaps is to try both on the same audio material. And listen to the results.

kelvyn wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 am
Lotuzia wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 am
kelvyn wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:49 am After a quick workout...
It definitely has a different sound palette than the XILS5000.
Takes more effort to create a discernible articulate understandable vocoder voice than the 5000.
Some more usable vocal presets would be nice, not one of the vocal presets were usable without a tweak, not really liking the FX presets. The 5000 default preset is the bees knees in comparison.
At the moment Logic 10.12 Sierra is doing the little noise bump and then nothing thing. Re-instantiate then it’s fine for a while.
It would be really cool to have an in depth tutorial apart from the manual which is a little ‘Frenglish‘.
I did manage to tweak something nice though...
I’m kinda liking it but I fell ‘head over’ right away with the 5000.
Early days... would be nice to hear if anyone else is getting the Logic problem.
I'll send my 'vocoder/voice' and other patches to Xils. So that people can have different starting points. Then ...
One thing I noticed is that if I sung the same part at different octaves, I have to 'tweak more/less' to get similar clarity, but whatever the settings, the end result will still sound rather different, because of the differences between the takes. So the og signal is very important and will determine the resulting part for a 'quite large' part.
For the Logic thing I'll fw your income to Xils.
Hey Lotuzia Thanks:)
Xils told me they are investigating the problem and that the issue could be 'something with the sidechain process' ... Will post when more news are available.

Nice track from Hallifax with the Xils 201 :tu:

The Door Is Hard To Find

How accurately was the 201 hardware emulated? Any comparison files? They did the Roland VP very well, but I don't think the 5000 was based on a hardware unit.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Demoed it for an hour, really like the sound. Instabuy!

V1.01 has been released yesterday.

* Fixes some possible crashes, especially in Logic.
* Other rare random bugs fixed (misc Daw/Os combinations)

Can we please get a 150% skin? :)

electro wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:31 pm How accurately was the 201 hardware emulated? Any comparison files? They did the Roland VP very well, but I don't think the 5000 was based on a hardware unit.
I’d like to know this as-well

Return to “Instruments”