So the Spitfire Audio Westworld scoring competition went well... there's a riot going on in the YouTube comments ;-)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Michael L wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:42 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 amExactly like that, but with his co-operation.
Nooo...there’s a whole world of music, genres and sounds out there to parody without getting stuck in that po-faced Zimmer-cooperating mindset.
That's the point. Maybe it does take Zimmer coming out specifically re this competition and asking his sheeple to be more open to other things.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 amMaybe it does take Zimmer coming out specifically re this competition and asking his sheeple to be more open to other things.
HZ (Rctec) did come out specifically re this competition:
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-4586985
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:13 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:53 amMaybe it does take Zimmer coming out specifically re this competition and asking his sheeple to be more open to other things.
Wow, came out swinging too - I'd only looked on YT
Hi, I am an old fart. But I haven’t lost the passion of writing scores or inventing new sounds and bits of technology for my music. But I so agree with everything I’ve read in your post above. The road of rejection teaches you nothing. It makes you hard and cynical - the antithesis to music. Nor does too much applause. I’ve got my Oscar. It didn’t make me a better composer, or change my career. Just for one night I could be insane and giddy and think it was all relevant. it was fun, but that’s it. ...who can even remember who won for what last year or the year before?

I know everyone involved with the competition - not the composers, but I’m old enough to have worked for J.J.‘s father, and actually done a film with him. And we’re both synth geeks. Ramin really got his start with me, and met the Nolan’s through our working together - which - through his enormous talent - led directly to “Westworld”. The “Spitfire” guys I consider as personal friends and more than once have we helped each other out. ...so, why am I writing this? Just to name -drop? No, actually I secretly stayed away from listening to anything that was being submitted. I thought - once the dust settles, there will be an amazing amount of music and talent that should be recognized and given an opportunity at furthering their careers. I’ve done that a lot. I don’t think that Harry G-H, or John Powell, Lorne Balfe or JunkieXL and Ben Wallfisch - as just a few examples, will think of me holding them back in forging their careers. Our whole ”Blue Planet” and all the other things ‘Bleeding Fingers’ does comes from the idea that there is an unbelievable pool of talent out there that should be given a chance.

But then I started to read the comments and the bitterness and bitchyness in most of the responses to the winner (whom I’ve never met or heard off). And I thought, why even bother with this lot. They’ve already lost. They think music is a business when it’s a passion, they forget that putting hours or days in, is a luxury you’ll never have again when you’re on a deadline on a ‘proper’ job...
but, mostly, it’s the lack of respect for someone’s moment of joy - where they should be celebrated - that got me.

so - carry on with your uninformed small minded criticism. it’s all here now in black and white for ever. The beauty of the internet. And as a reference of how i wouldn’t ever want to work with a single one of you. Nor you with me. Bad fit. It doesn’t even ever matter how good your music is or how smart you are... And since music and film-making are inherently collaborative, I can’t really see how any director will want to deal with that amount of entitlement and hubris.
hz

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Hz zzz :zzz:

I don't know. I knew there's zero chance of me winning. It's 1/11000 multiplied by the scale from newbie to pro that my skills are on. That approaches zero. I was just happy to touch such a cool piece of material and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Sad the rest of the contestants don't share the same POV.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

FarleyCZ wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 am I don't know. I knew there's zero chance of me winning. It's 1/11000 multiplied by the scale from newbie to pro that my skills are on. That approaches zero. I was just happy to touch such a cool piece of material and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Sad the rest of the contestants don't share the same POV.
That's great.
So previously you claimed they listened to yours twice. How do you know that?

They probably didn't listen to anything and this whole situation is just another of their shitty marketing tricks (remember, there is no bad advertising).

So, basically, this whole thing is about jealousy, right?

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 pm So, basically, this whole thing is about jealousy, right?
you not been involved in music long?

empphryio wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 pm That's great.
So previously you claimed they listened to yours twice. How do you know that?
Cause I haven't shared the link with anyone up until the anouncment and it got two plays on YouTube at that point. :)
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:57 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 pm So, basically, this whole thing is about jealousy, right?
Why, is it normal that it's about jealousy? :)

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm
Why, is it normal that it's about jealousy? :)
there does seem to be a good deal of it around.
i used to see a lot of bitchiness about other bands and artists when i was an engineer.
sometimes inside the same band, "x got more solos than me" "why does y get the free guitars?" and so on.

:hihi:

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am
Michael L wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:13 am
Wow, came out swinging too - I'd only looked on YT
Hi, I am an old fart. But I haven’t lost the passion of writing scores or inventing new sounds and bits of technology for my music. But I so agree with everything I’ve read in your post above. The road of rejection teaches you nothing. It makes you hard and cynical - the antithesis to music. Nor does too much applause. I’ve got my Oscar. It didn’t make me a better composer, or change my career. Just for one night I could be insane and giddy and think it was all relevant. it was fun, but that’s it. ...who can even remember who won for what last year or the year before?

I know everyone involved with the competition - not the composers, but I’m old enough to have worked for J.J.‘s father, and actually done a film with him. And we’re both synth geeks. Ramin really got his start with me, and met the Nolan’s through our working together - which - through his enormous talent - led directly to “Westworld”. The “Spitfire” guys I consider as personal friends and more than once have we helped each other out. ...so, why am I writing this? Just to name -drop? No, actually I secretly stayed away from listening to anything that was being submitted. I thought - once the dust settles, there will be an amazing amount of music and talent that should be recognized and given an opportunity at furthering their careers. I’ve done that a lot. I don’t think that Harry G-H, or John Powell, Lorne Balfe or JunkieXL and Ben Wallfisch - as just a few examples, will think of me holding them back in forging their careers. Our whole ”Blue Planet” and all the other things ‘Bleeding Fingers’ does comes from the idea that there is an unbelievable pool of talent out there that should be given a chance.

But then I started to read the comments and the bitterness and bitchyness in most of the responses to the winner (whom I’ve never met or heard off). And I thought, why even bother with this lot. They’ve already lost. They think music is a business when it’s a passion, they forget that putting hours or days in, is a luxury you’ll never have again when you’re on a deadline on a ‘proper’ job...
but, mostly, it’s the lack of respect for someone’s moment of joy - where they should be celebrated - that got me.

so - carry on with your uninformed small minded criticism. it’s all here now in black and white for ever. The beauty of the internet. And as a reference of how i wouldn’t ever want to work with a single one of you. Nor you with me. Bad fit. It doesn’t even ever matter how good your music is or how smart you are... And since music and film-making are inherently collaborative, I can’t really see how any director will want to deal with that amount of entitlement and hubris.
hz
Nice to see this

:clap:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”