All ads Avid Protools - seems people abandon "industry standard"

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If a 25% off sale would be an indicator of a company being near extinction, then... OMG... the whole industry is near extinction. :lol:

Typical American design flaws?

Kazi7 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:56 pm but it's really a mediocre product with typical American design flaws, that you won't see in software that was desgined by pedantic and compulsively orderly Germans (Logic, Cubase, Ableton to name a few).
Being German, I like these kind of stereotypes :tu:
Edgar Rothermich
(iMac5K, 32GB)
YouTube Videos https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Books for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, GarageBand and FCPx http://DingDingMusic.com/
My Instagram for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools https://www.instagram.com/edgarrothermich/

LOL. Largely of German extraction myself. Pedantic is a good word.

I am very much a fan of Live's design ethos, with some small exceptions. Cubase, not so much, but getting better. Logic, half and half. But seriously, I would like to hear what you consider typical American design flaws. Or tendencies if you prefer. Other than making things overly large. ;-)

Just as an aside, I was a developer in the 80's and was at an Atari music software event with the Steinberg and C-Lab guys. Nice enough folks, by and large, though they spend a lot of time hovering over this program http://atari-music.fddvoron.name/realtime.htm. I think Creator had just revved to Notator. Not sure if they'd changed the company name yet. I seem to remember perhaps an announcement to that effect.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:12 pm If a 25% off sale would be an indicator of a company being near extinction, then... OMG... the whole industry is near extinction. :lol:
Avid were in serious trouble like 5 years ago - they were unlisted on Nasdaq since they did not produce the proper reports for several years. That's a real bad sign of the state for such a large company.

Then they got a new set of spreadsheet guys that were all arrogant in setting the policy for ProToools, MediaComposer etc.
- if you ever leave annual support subscription you have to buy a new license
- and prices were really up there, $199 annually each for plugin bundle and updates/support, $398 annually keeping up.
- we can do anything and you(industry) just have to pay
- it's nothing like us
- we set the rules

They got relisted if it was 2016 fixing up quarterly reports, shares went all the way up to $18 on pure expectations. But report after report after that produced losses.

During this time share went down to $4 just about, and since they been between $5-$8 just about.

And after 18 months or so they changed policy again to quite reasonable terms. So support $99 and $99 for plugin bundle they offer and you can alway buy back in on the license you have. So having all 3rd party plugins you could get full updates on ProTools for $99 annually.

And now is the first time I ever saw ads of this sort with discount on already low prices - that they cannot even keep customerbase on these terms which I find quite reasonable. That really tells a story business is not going that well.

I think management overestimate subscription policy - it means you are working all days year round with your daw possibly good thing. But if you just have periods over year you use daw now and then - subscription is not what you want. You pay and pay for this you don't use all the time.

But Avid are not alone, Adobe went subscription model only for Premiere Pro, Cyberlink Powerdirector only have campaign on they 365 subscriptions model and I stay away from them too until discounts on perpetual license.

Subscription model - pay again or it stops working - is from consumer view really bad idea. But wet dream for spreadsheet guys.

When a company goes from all cocky to humble and start intensive discount campaigns - you kind of gloat a bit.

Oh look, a random punter second-guessing the marketing decisions of a multi-million dollar corporation... we just dont get enough of that round here.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

lfm wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:23 am a year perpetual
:lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jonljacobi wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:48 pm Typical American design flaws?
is this about chicken in cans?

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:11 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:48 pm Typical American design flaws?
is this about chicken in cans?
spray on cheese

Kazi7 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:56 pm but it's really a mediocre product with typical American design flaws, that you won't see in software that was desgined by pedantic and compulsively orderly Germans (Logic, Cubase, Ableton to name a few).
For flawed DAW, it has spot on automation, opposed to pedantic German and etc engineering...

https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... iffer.html

Actually, only Americans nailed automation aspect for their DAW's, Pro Tools, Reaper and Digital Performer...

are we really doing this? :dog:

Of course, this or name your favorite whatever :hihi:

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:36 pm are we really doing this? :dog:
Why not? That's what we do at KVR. ;-) LOL. I'm truly interested in what others might consider American design tendencies or flaws. I think I'm too close to spot them. There are definitely styles and philosophies that vary from one culture to the next. I think these are slowly melding as we all take the best bits from each other.

If of course, the debate is what you were referring to.

Avid has a rather wide portfolio of products. I used PT in school and while it does the job, was not my favourite daw... but Media Composer is incredible compared to other video editors, and goes way beyond.

That doesnt necessarily make them good business people.

I think a lot of the drop as the "industry standard" just has to do with the sample that your looking at. If you're basing that off a forum of people who make music....no...pro tools isn't going to be widely used. But literally EVERY studio in the country worth its weight has a copy....for good reason.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”