So the Spitfire Audio Westworld scoring competition went well... there's a riot going on in the YouTube comments ;-)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't really have a larger opinion outside of saying the loud, happy NES sounds don't fit the darker and maybe anxious getaway theme to me. Not even in an ironic way. I think the video game element is creative, but the execution feels forced and out of place. They could have been blended a lot better imo to the wonderfully produced symphonic backing underneath.

It isn't small minded criticism just a differing opinion. We're still free to have those right? Just because it goes against the grain of King Zimmer doesn't make it any less valuable than a positive opinion on the winning track.

I've entered music competitions and had some really rough reviews of my entry as well as being upset at not being selected (even on first cuts). But today, 10, 15, or 20+ years later, I realize those experiences and critiques were honest; my music still needed a lot of work and it wasn't where I thought it was at the time. It made me dig deeper. I still dig.

I could have dismissed it as 'small minded' or 'bitterness' by the reviewers. Maybe back then I did or at least didn't fully understand it. But today I understand they were learning experiences and opportunities to grow.

criticism is one thing, voicing your opinion on the piece.
thats not the same as saying "he only won because they know him, they didnt even listen to all the other entries, its a con".

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:11 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:57 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 pm So, basically, this whole thing is about jealousy, right?
you not been involved in music long?
Why, is it normal that it's about jealousy? :)
there does seem to be a good deal of it around.
i used to see a lot of bitchiness about other bands and artists when i was an engineer.
sometimes inside the same band, "x got more solos than me" "why does y get the free guitars?" and so on.
TBH, I can imagine. Most of the musicians (well, rather hobbyists) I've met rather were of the more "problematic" sort.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:59 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:11 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:57 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 pm So, basically, this whole thing is about jealousy, right?
you not been involved in music long?
Why, is it normal that it's about jealousy? :)
there does seem to be a good deal of it around.
i used to see a lot of bitchiness about other bands and artists when i was an engineer.
sometimes inside the same band, "x got more solos than me" "why does y get the free guitars?" and so on.
TBH, I can imagine. Most of the musicians (well, rather hobbyists) I've met rather were of the more "problematic" sort.
Its not just music though... Its any creative endeavor. Confidence vs ego vs too much ego that nobody wants to work with you. Jealousy just seems to go hand-in-hand with this type of work where you either have to not give a f**k, or you give lots of f**ks and give lots of f**ks about what other f**ks people are giving. Balanced f**ks/balanced confidence might also just be called passion.

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm criticism is one thing, voicing your opinion on the piece.
thats not the same as saying "he only won because they know him, they didnt even listen to all the other entries, its a con".

yeah, but it was shit, and it was a con :hihi:

(disclaimer : I didnt enter, never heard of SA)

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm criticism is one thing, voicing your opinion on the piece.
And this is the only thing that pissed me off. I hope the composer that won can perhaps walk away tougher than before after going through something like this. He shouldn't have to defend himself at all (in regards to claims of unfairness). People not liking things comes with the territory... you'll never please them all but that's really where it should end.

AnX wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 pm

yeah, but it was shit, and it was a con :hihi:

(disclaimer : I didnt enter, never heard of SA)
hanz said shut it dickwad.
or words to that effect ;)

who?

“this type of work where you either have to not give a fvck, or...”
there is no or for me. Caring a lot (if at all) about what others are caring about is a path away from actual consideration and genuine thought.

I personally cannot feature myself entering competitions for composition and becoming invested in winning or placing. You have to have a clear sense of yourself. You know what you don’t know, and what matters, hopefully. Virtuoso instrumentalist competitions are bad enough, but that’s business, careering, strategy, etc. Judging a creative work as a sports contest, pheh.

But none of this should be terribly surprising to us old farts.

AnX wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:40 pmwho?

:lol: you got downvoted for that.

jancivil wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 pm . Judging a creative work as a sports contest, pheh.
back when they first started the modern olympics, there where medals for artistic events, poetry, music and creative writing. im sure there where a few other odd ones like knitting and dog grooming.

f**king weird the english.

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm
jancivil wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 pm . Judging a creative work as a sports contest, pheh.
back when they first started the modern olympics, there where medals for artistic events, poetry, music and creative writing. im sure there where a few other odd ones like knitting and dog grooming.

Eisteddfods have had prize winning competitions for a while.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Eisteddfods have had prize winning competitions for a while.
yup, but im not sure everyone has heard of that :hihi:
and everyone knows the olympics as "the" sporting event.

the welsh are also weird, but in a better way than the english.
this lead to thinkgs like gorkys zygotic mynci and the more mainstream perhaps but still a bit whacky, super furry animals.

and howard marks :hail: :(

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”