So the Spitfire Audio Westworld scoring competition went well... there's a riot going on in the YouTube comments ;-)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

- what I said about not giving a fvck; in pure form this can't work for a film composer, what the director cares about is paramount.
I'm not really well-suited to even that. But for your own shit, <who fvcking cares> is paramount once you're developed and can 'quit school'. Even if the goal is this or the other convention, it's you doing it, so do you, maybe you add a twist and everybody will care about you now.

jancivil wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm - what I said about not giving a fvck; in pure form this can't work for a film composer, what the director cares about is paramount.
I'm not really well-suited to even that. But for your own shit, <who fvcking cares> is paramount once you're developed and can 'quit school'. Even if the goal is this or the other convention, it's you doing it, so do you, maybe you add a twist and everybody will care about you now.
But by then you wouldn't care? :shrug:

Pay no mind to me (or prior post of giving a f**k about f**ks/and f**king this/that). I agree with what you wrote here (especially re the director).

"everybody will care about you now" is somewhat ironic in intent. Everybody likes being validated or mirrored, though.

I had one job which was just impossible; even what I did was highly improbable in the time I had. I couldn't really convey the musical problem to a non-musician (the rhythm of calculating machines, prominent in the video, was dichotomous to a steady 4/4 rock beat). If it was more than it was, ie., with a budget and a market, what I thought will have been my problem. Along with the idea of further work.

Who in this list won the most Best Director Oscars?

Orson Welles
Stanley Kubrick
Howard Hawks
Sidney Lumet
Robert Redford
Charles Chaplin
Fritz Lang
Jean Renoir

Winning can be nice but such things generally tend to not be very good indicators of exceptional talent or achievement. :shrug:

oooh I love a quiz

I assume from the tone of the question that it is Redford but I am too lazy to look up the answer

So who is it?
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

:hihi:

I think he won in 1981 for Ordinary People.

They had to come up with Lifetime Achievement type awards to try to deal with the ridiculously talented folks who kept losing.

And it's obviously not about being an insider. It's all way more arbitrary than any conspiracy theory can explain. There are even more outrageous examples, e.g. the Nobel Prize in literature, etc.

I think any kind of competition for art is all a bit "dancing about architecture" It can so obviously be affected by whim - only time tells what is great - so here is another quiz - What film won the best picture Oscar the year Citizen Kane didn't?
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

John Ford's How Green Was My Valley but it's important to point out that it was a bit more controversial a win considering it also beat out Howard Hawks' Sergeant York and John Huston's The Maltese Falcon.

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:58 pm the welsh are also weird, but in a better way than the english.
this lead to thinkgs like gorkys zygotic mynci and the more mainstream perhaps but still a bit whacky, super furry animals.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I give a fv@k to some degree. Sometimes people say, "You shouldn't care what other people think." If I followed that advice, I'd never hold back a fart, I'd wantonly scratch my arse when called for, and I'd not break my gaze from nice breastesses.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 pm I give a fv@k to some degree. Sometimes people say, "You shouldn't care what other people think." If I followed that advice, I'd never hold back a fart, I'd wantonly scratch my arse when called for, and I'd not break my gaze from nice breastesses.
There's a healthy balance to strive for somewhere in between it all (and probably still relevant to all points raised to some degree too).

I went w. the whole not giving f**ks as regards opinions about musical composition, rather than in the broadest general sense.

rp314 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:52 pm John Ford's How Green Was My Valley but it's important to point out that it was a bit more controversial a win considering it also beat out Howard Hawks' Sergeant York and John Huston's The Maltese Falcon.
man !..
i love me a good gunsel !..

You should care to an extent with music and life in general. To not care at all is unhealthy and for that matter someone claiming it is probably full of it. And claiming it's some ideal to attain in your old age is just not true.
Possibly wishful thinking for people who can't handle rejection very well.

I'd strongly recommend any such person to start entering competitions. But real ones, kvr ones, etc; not some 11,000 entries bullshit. Enter small competitions and if you don't do well, learn how to handle it in a healthy way. Be somewhat disappointed but don't try to convince yourself you don't even care anyway.

"You should care to an extent with music and life in general. To not care at all is unhealthy..."
"And claiming it's some ideal to attain in your old age"
argumentatively fabricating straw men is perhaps not the critical look you think you're coming across with.
I believe I was quite clear in the specificity of <caring about other people's opinions on musical worth> versus 'caring in the broadest general sense'. So I can't really care about your tiresome out-of-all-context 'should' at all.

"Possibly wishful thinking for people who can't handle rejection very well."
Ok, sure, why not really go for the gusto here and swing wildly at pitches nobody threw your way at all. Talking at people you really do not know at all (whomever it is; why not address a person directly? While there was more than one in the out of f**ks to give category we're not all the same person) in this kind of condescending tone? I don't know why 'I really don't give a f**k' bothers you (should I care?), but I must say there is really no call for this much color.

I would personally fully expect to not win something like this. And a win would change absolutely nothing about my own assessment of what I do.

Thing is I know exactly where I place among a peer group, because I have loads of experience with nearly everybody around me being better than me, in a milieu where everybody worked at their instrument like it was their job. Then, we had teachers who didn't stroke, who never coddled, it was critique and critique some more and critique some more again; where finally, instead of 8 things which need to be looked at, getting 'I have nothing to say about that performance' is a victory. Not over someone else, but like golf where your real opponent is yourself.

Now, OTOH there are (albeit rarely) contests at Music Cafe I feel almost sure I should win with whatever I come up with because the thing is so fully inside my wheelhouse; whether they do or don't win seems a bit like yer high school talent show, some people are popular - some enter frequently and there is a social club aspect accordingly - and this is a natural advantage. Judging a contest isn't exactly scientific rigor. Voted best by your peers is not nothing, but there are no real jurists here.
This isn't to say that the better tracks aren't recognized in and of themselves, just an observation of the nature of the thing. The actual reason I thought about entering is I coveted one or more of the prizes. Could happen. :shrug:
Not my scene so much.

I really don't have the energy for caring about other people's opinions on music (after 50 yrs as a musician).
(Criticism is another matter, there's a point to a real critique. If it's a verbose exercise which in the end says no more than 'I didn't like it', I'm already tired, alright.)
This has absolutely nothing to do with my particular insecurities, and I wouldn't assume it of others. Maybe project less?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”