Unfiltered Audio Effects

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
GaryG
KVRAF
6025 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Darkest Kent, UK

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 am

^ Yes, G8 can be very useful for more creative sounds. The Flip setting is fun, gates the loud bits and lets the noise through. :)

I have just about all of them now (just missing Lion which I may remedy later tonight and Triad which is nice but I can do multiband stuff with Byome using DAW routing if I ever want to).

SandmanPro is my favourite for sure, a very versatile delay. Fault gets a lot of use, Dent is all I need in a distortion, haven't had SpecOps very long so still finding my way around. It would be nice if they someday updated the GUIs to match Byome etc but still very usable if a little fugly.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

acousticglue
KVRian
946 posts since 27 May, 2008

Re: Unfiltered Audio Effects

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am

I look at Triad as Byome had sex with SpecOps

nathanj
KVRian
557 posts since 23 Mar, 2013

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Triad is just a three headed BYOME.
Nothing of Spec Ops is in it.

Local Man
KVRian
783 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:41 pm

I have Triad and Specops. Which other UA plugins would be unique enough to add to that pairing?
(Oh I also have Lion by the way.)

nathanj
KVRian
557 posts since 23 Mar, 2013

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:56 pm

i have always loved G8. I think it's the most underrated UA plug. And you can get it for free for a fewmore hours if you still haven't use the reset code ;)

Local Man
KVRian
783 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm

nathanj wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:56 pm
i have always loved G8. I think it's the most underrated UA plug. And you can get it for free for a fewmore hours if you still haven't use the reset code ;)
I think I might do that.

I hear a lot people talking about how if you have Byome or Triad, then you don't need any of the other stuff.
But I have Triad and since it's so deep, I'm not confident I've explored it enough to know what is or isn't missing.
But G8 for free is probably not a bad thing to have.

greenmind72
KVRist
64 posts since 16 Feb, 2011

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 pm

I'm in a similar thought process, trying to decide between G8, Fault (for an extra $10), or a couple of the brainworx guitar pedals.

greenmind72
KVRist

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 pm

Also, the PA site is showing only 3 hours left on the sale.....however I received an email saying that it'd been extended until 1159pm, 2nd July (California time)? I'm assuming the website needs to be updated for the extension.

Dirtgrain
KVRian
1039 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 pm

Maybe check to see if voucher lasts till then (I have no clue).
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

mrj1nx
KVRian
696 posts since 29 Nov, 2015

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm

Ive been eying Zip for ages, snagged it now for 10$ too. SpecOps is my favorite, use it in almost every project. Great for putting a unique flavour to drum loops. Didnt like the UX of Byome & Triad, too small area makes it feel cramped to work in, dont know if they've added scalable work area yet?

GaryG
KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 pm

mrj1nx wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm
Didnt like the UX of Byome & Triad, too small area makes it feel cramped to work in, dont know if they've added scalable work area yet?
They added scaling in the last betas (don't know if PA version has it yet) so you can resize everything as usual but also drag the window wider to accommodate more visible modules.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

gondii
KVRist
76 posts since 8 Oct, 2019

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 pm

mrj1nx wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm
Ive been eying Zip for ages, snagged it now for 10$ too. SpecOps is my favorite, use it in almost every project. Great for putting a unique flavour to drum loops. Didnt like the UX of Byome & Triad, too small area makes it feel cramped to work in, dont know if they've added scalable work area yet?
The whole plugin is scalable by simply dragging the corner and if you have a wide screen it's quite useful, because you can extend the length of the fx lanes without changing the size of the modules (i.e. the ratio is not locked). Same goes for Lion. I'm pretty sure that was added somewhere along the way...

GaryG
KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 pm

Local Man wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm
But I have Triad and since it's so deep, I'm not confident I've explored it enough to know what is or isn't missing.
But G8 for free is probably not a bad thing to have.
It's not a clean comparison unfortunately, I think the triad/byome versions of the algorithms have the occassional extra control (formant in the freq shifter(?), different algos in the delay drop downs etc) and vice versa. I've found Byome great for most of what I do but still pull the others up quite regularly for the extra control. SandmanPro is #1 for me due to the sleep buffer function which byome/triad miss, maybe Fault would be second, all the others are worthy after that even if just for the better displays (zip and g8 especially).

Maybe pointing out the obvious but if the voucher is still working then Dent can be had for free too though that may be the least essential, pretty sure it's comprehensively covered in Triad.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

GaryG
KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:13 pm

greenmind72 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 pm
I'm in a similar thought process, trying to decide between G8, Fault (for an extra $10), or a couple of the brainworx guitar pedals.
I was looking at the pedals too, have all the UA stuff I think I need (can't bond with Lion at all, love the look and feel but just sounds... brittle for want of a better word to me). I think the opto pedal compressor plug has something interesting going on, beyond that could be a case of throwing a dart. ;)
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

greenmind72
KVRist

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 am

I was looking at the opto comp pedal too, but in the end went with the chorus and overdrive, and left G8 for another time perhaps. I picked up Triad in another sale earlier this year, and have a lot more to learn about it already.

Return to “Effects”