Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

Ingonator wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:23 am Currently here i got 3 options for the SEM motphing filter which are Arturia SEM V2, The Uhbie filter in Diva and the "Multi" filter in the free OB-Xd. I like the filters in OBsession "as is" and do not really need an additional SEM filter there.
i am happy that in OBsession we have the 2 Bandpass modes besides the 2 Lowpass filters and the 2-pole LPF already seems to be sowehow close to the behavior of the SEM LPF (at least with keeping the low end at full resonance).
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/uncle-sam-by-wok

Ingonator wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 am In a private discussion with Richard and partly also at the Beta forum so far this was mentioned:
not partly, mostly.... lots of testers have been asking for step lfo improvements for a long time

e-crooner wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:49 am
Ingonator wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:23 am Currently here i got 3 options for the SEM motphing filter which are Arturia SEM V2, The Uhbie filter in Diva and the "Multi" filter in the free OB-Xd. I like the filters in OBsession "as is" and do not really need an additional SEM filter there.
i am happy that in OBsession we have the 2 Bandpass modes besides the 2 Lowpass filters and the 2-pole LPF already seems to be sowehow close to the behavior of the SEM LPF (at least with keeping the low end at full resonance).
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/uncle-sam-by-wok
I know about that one but he intention of that part of my post was not asking for all available SEM emulations while indeed there are at least 7 plugins that somehow implement a morphable SEM filter.

OBsession is not intended to be another one but it does focus on implementing the CEM 3320 chip as used in the OB-Xa/OB-8 where OBsession already includes 2 additional BPF modes that while not included in the real OB-Xa are based on an emulation of that filter chip.
So if there is interest in adding additional HPF and Notch modes those like the currently existing 4 modes in OBsession should be based on that chip and not on the SEM filter. This would not be an actual emulation of an existing hardware filter but new filter modes based on what the filter chip is capable of (while the CEM 3320 based Elka Synthex had both a BPF and a HPF).

But IF instead of that the SEM filter modes are added then like i already mentioend they should be a proper emulation of the real thing.

All this is just guessing anyway as AFAIK currently there do not seem to be concrete plans to add new filter modes in OBsession.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

It would make more sense to me to do the SEM module or the Four Voice separately. The oscillators and envelopes will almost certainly contribute to the sound as well.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:21 pm It would make more sense to me to do the SEM module or the Four Voice separately. The oscillators and envelopes will almost certainly contribute to the sound as well.

Richard
However you think best, I am on board.
rsp
sound sculptist

Richard_Synapse wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:21 pm It would make more sense to me to do the SEM module or the Four Voice separately. The oscillators and envelopes will almost certainly contribute to the sound as well.

Richard
Toally agree, and would be great to see that. :tu:

Richard
I vote for the Four (or Eight) Voice. But I'd do the other projects first.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 pm I'd vote for the Four (or Eight) Voice. The lonely SEM module has already been done (though I wouldn't mind a Synapse's version).
I think that P600 will be much more interesting (if Richard is working on that).
After that,
Prophet VS but done right this time. Not just better than Arturia's meek take, bettering that one would not be difficult at all.

Ingonator wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 am
TheHelioSequence wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 am
Ingonator wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 am For one of the next OBsession updates i am more interested in improvements for the Step LFO.

In a private discussion with Richard and partly also at the Beta forum so far this was mentioned:
- adding Step smoothing, either as a knob (which i prefer) or a switch
- Presets for the Step LFO including waveshapes, envelope shapes and other shapes (e.g. Arp/sequencerr patterns)
- A value display for the steps to actually see which value each of them has while adjusting them (e.g. as a tool tip display)
- a drawing tool for easy drawing of lines/shapes which is very difficult with the current freehand drawing
Any chance you could ask him about the missing Saw waveform on the LFO?
Could be done as a preset for the Step LFO when this feature gets implemented. A drawing tool to create proper lineswith rhe steps could be helpful there too.
That's what I have been currently doing, but Step LFO is always tempo sync'd. I'd also want just a free flowing Sawtooth waveform, just like there is on the OB-Xa.

TheHelioSequence wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:15 pm
Ingonator wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 am
TheHelioSequence wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 am
Ingonator wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 am For one of the next OBsession updates i am more interested in improvements for the Step LFO.

In a private discussion with Richard and partly also at the Beta forum so far this was mentioned:
- adding Step smoothing, either as a knob (which i prefer) or a switch
- Presets for the Step LFO including waveshapes, envelope shapes and other shapes (e.g. Arp/sequencerr patterns)
- A value display for the steps to actually see which value each of them has while adjusting them (e.g. as a tool tip display)
- a drawing tool for easy drawing of lines/shapes which is very difficult with the current freehand drawing
Any chance you could ask him about the missing Saw waveform on the LFO?
Could be done as a preset for the Step LFO when this feature gets implemented. A drawing tool to create proper lineswith rhe steps could be helpful there too.
That's what I have been currently doing, but Step LFO is always tempo sync'd. I'd also want just a free flowing Sawtooth waveform, just like there is on the OB-Xa.
...and tempo sync'd non-stepped LFO's (for us lazy folk). :wink:

Oh...and a triangle LFO! :hihi:

Honestly, I'd think just implementing Saw and Triangle LFO shapes would have to be easier than implementing smoothing+straight line and spline drawing on the step LFO. The hardest part about adding new shapes would probably be the MIDI mapping/implementation at this point. Doesn't seem like there was any room reserved for additional waveforms, which could make dealing with existing patches/projects non-trivial.

...Unless of course Richard decided to create a new "Performance LFO" with some additional shapes and options. This way the new parameters needed for that could get added to the bottom of the parameter list without breaking existing patches.

If anyone ever makes a SEMulation that sounds like this, I'll fall out of my chair, get back up, and buy it immediately. Either I don't know what I'm doing (which I admit is a strong possibility), or Arturia SEM V and bx_oberhausen are hopelessly incapable of sounding anything like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNQfzF2LvSs
Stormchild

Watching that video inspired me to go and buy bx-oberhausen, without even bothering with the demo. The video is kind of funny, though, because they keep carrying on about how famous the 8 Voice is but I'd never heard of it until a few weeks ago, and I've been buying synths since 1981. I have certainly never seen one.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:21 am Watching that video inspired me to go and buy bx-oberhausen, without even bothering with the demo. The video is kind of funny, though, because they keep carrying on about how famous the 8 Voice is but I'd never heard of it until a few weeks ago, and I've been buying synths since 1981. I have certainly never seen one.
My local Sam Ash had one of these back in the 80s. It was over $8,000. I would have bought it if I had the money, The thing sounded like a beast. I'd never heard anything like it before.

I'd be very happy with just a single SEM. bx_oberhausen is amazing!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:16 pm I'd be very happy with just a single SEM. bx_oberhausen is amazing!
Is there a way to get that 8 voice sound out of it? I guess you could multi track it but then that has to take a toll on your CPU.

Return to “Instruments”