Any news on Kontakt GUI?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think the number of 4k users is too low for companies to justify the expense...it has been a very slow change compared to when we switched to colour and svga. Its hard to get real numbers but besides apple... other machines have not been preconfigured for 4k. Now this is only game software but the latest steam hardware survey in May of this year only showed 8% of their users with 4k

SLiC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm If they ever make a 'Falcon' version I would switch 'Kompletely'
Lol. You shoul be ‘fuKed’ and have to go ‘bacK’ because kontakt is far superior to falcon when dealing with huge libraries. Loading times are not the same at all.

I also would like to see other feature improvements,
like inner midi routing inside One Kontakt instance.
For example I only load one Kontakt and I load Soniccouture Konkrete and Studio drummer inside, and I'd like to route the midi output of Konrete's Euclidean sequencer into Studio Drummer midi input.
Currently I can't do this in One Kontakt.
In the settings, everyone knows, there's the "send midi to outside world" setting. I rather want to "send midi to INSIDE world".
So put it this way: forget gui update and make real feature updates first, dear NI !

I can't imagine replacing Kontakt main UI at this point. But couldn't they add vector graphics as a script add on? Like different type of controllers? So it could be used on new/updated libraries, while old stuff could remain as is

Must admit I gave up using Kontakt over 18 months ago.

I can usually make hybrid sounds that do the job.

It's taken me to a new kind of music

- a bit like Output, but without needing Kontakt.

NI's attitude, ie, total silence, is still disappointing.

A few years ago I was their biggest fan.

Now I've learned to do without.

As some have ploughed their money & effort into Falcon, I've done similar with Avenger

- which does nice hybrid :)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

budweiser wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:45 am
SLiC wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 pm If they ever make a 'Falcon' version I would switch 'Kompletely'
Lol. You shoul be ‘fuKed’ and have to go ‘bacK’ because kontakt is far superior to falcon when dealing with huge libraries. Loading times are not the same at all.
I'm not sure how true that is anymore, I'm loading very large libraries like the amazing Bohemian Violin (Over 3GB and 10K+ samples in one instrument from SSD and its as fast as Kontakt.
VirHarmonics are making the some of he very best and most realistic libraries you can put in a sampler, and they are UVI only....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

telecode wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 pm
VitaminD wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:41 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:25 pm There's always something else that is higher priority (see Zebra 3).
There shouldn't be at this point. The UI was designed in an era of Pentium III's and 1024x768, 4:3 ratio tube monitors.

It's absurd that 2 decades later, the flagship sampler platform, for a company that has done so much on it, still has such an antiquated interface. I'm sure it's a huge undertaking, but there should be a serious effort dedicated on this as a top priority. Not kicking the can down the road further simply because it is a lot of work.
Kontakt 6 was release in 2018, no?

Just curious what % of user base are on 4k monitors? NI should do a survey. My DAW setup still uses 10 year old CPU and monitor. Everything looks find on my setup.
Kontakt 6 looks the same as Kontakt 1. Same tiny frame with tiny fonts and tiny controls. So I'm not sure the point you're making.

They should take a poll on who has a 1080p or larger resolution vs who is sticking with 1024x768 in a 4:3 ratio. The Kontakt GUI was designed in a totally different era of computing hardware. Props' Reason has the same issue. They never dedicated resources to keeping the UI up to date to the current hardware (namely screen aspect ratios and resolution).

If you don't have a problem with it on your hardware now, then you wouldn't have a problem with it on your hardware if they modernized it.

SLiC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:57 pmI'm not sure how true that is anymore, I'm loading very large libraries like the amazing Bohemian Violin (Over 3GB and 10K+ samples in one instrument from SSD and its as fast as Kontakt.
Actually it's not as fast as Kontakt because there's no background loading. That same violin would load much faster in Kontakt and wouldn't block your UI while at it.

Falcon has some other issues with larger libraries that are not there in Kontakt (mainly sluggish response in some DAWs due to the size of plugin's data chunk, which is dealt with much better in Kontakt).
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VitaminD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:07 pmKontakt 6 looks the same as Kontakt 1. Same tiny frame with tiny fonts and tiny controls.
Well no, that is entirely wrong. Kontakt 1 was even smaller. Kontakt as it is today harkens back to Kontakt 3 as far as design goes. Except the font is (in most areas) larger than it was in Kontakt 1.

(I'm running 1920x1200 and IMHO Kontakt is fine at that resolution in about 98% of areas.)

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:21 pm
VitaminD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:07 pmKontakt 6 looks the same as Kontakt 1. Same tiny frame with tiny fonts and tiny controls.
Well no, that is entirely wrong. Kontakt 1 was even smaller. Kontakt as it is today harkens back to Kontakt 3 as far as design goes. Except the font is (in most areas) larger than it was in Kontakt 1.
Oh right sorry. If we are going to be tedious and nitpick we can say you're right the font and the frame increased in size slightly from v1 to v3. But I'm not sure why you (or anyone else on the NI payroll) think it matters, because at the end of the day that's still what? 11 or 12 years of time for this tiny 4:3 designed UI that is still out of place today on modern screens. The 'update' in v3 did little to address the issues of operating on 16:9 or 16:10 high resolution (comparatively to that era) screens.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:21 pm (I'm running 1920x1200 and IMHO Kontakt is fine at that resolution in about 98% of areas.)
Then just like telecode (who came to the defense to apologize for NI) If you don't have a problem with it on your hardware now, then you wouldn't have a problem with it on your hardware if they modernized it. So the issue shouldn't concern you and you shouldn't have a voice in the matter outside of accepting that others not like you DO have an issue with the interface.

SLiC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:57 pm I'm not sure how true that is anymore, I'm loading very large libraries like the amazing Bohemian Violin (Over 3GB and 10K+ samples in one instrument from SSD and its as fast as Kontakt.
VirHarmonics are making the some of he very best and most realistic libraries you can put in a sampler, and they are UVI only....
They were not. I own voices of prague for both kontakt and uvi workstation and the loading times are not the same, to the point it puts me off uvi. I don’t own bohemian violin, though, so maybe they improved.

VitaminD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:38 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:21 pm (I'm running 1920x1200 and IMHO Kontakt is fine at that resolution in about 98% of areas.)
Then just like telecode (who came to the defense to apologize for NI) If you don't have a problem with it on your hardware now, then you wouldn't have a problem with it on your hardware if they modernized it. So the issue shouldn't concern you and you shouldn't have a voice in the matter outside of accepting that others not like you DO have an issue with the interface.
what the hell are you babling about. i just posted that K6 was relase in 2018 and someone at NI should do a survey to see how many 4K users there are out there. NI do surveys all the time about their product users.

Re; GUI and revamping. If NI are going to to it, It better be done right. Steinberg did a revamp of the GUI for Cubase and IMO royally fauked that product up.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 pm
what the hell are you babling about. i just posted that K6 was relase in 2018 and someone at NI should do a survey to see how many 4K users there are out there. NI do surveys all the time about their product users.
I'm not babbling and you know it. It seemed like you were just trying to dismiss the issue raised by the OP and supported by several of us in the thread. 4k users don't get the entire picture as it isn't just high resolution but totally different height to width ratio (that I keep mentioning).
telecode wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 pm Re; GUI and revamping. If NI are going to to it, It better be done right. Steinberg did a revamp of the GUI for Cubase and IMO royally fauked that product up.
The minute details of what is considered 'right' is up for debate. What isn't is the underlying design concepts behind the decisions of why the UI of Kontakt is the way it is. Namely squareish screens in smaller resolutions (compared to today).

VitaminD wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:48 pm
telecode wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 pm
I'm not babbling and you know it. It seemed like you were just trying to dismiss the issue raised by the OP and supported by several of us in the thread. 4k users don't get the entire picture as it isn't just high resolution but totally different height to width ratio (that I keep mentioning).
telecode wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 pm Re; GUI and revamping. If NI are going to to it, It better be done right. Steinberg did a revamp of the GUI for Cubase and IMO royally fauked that product up.
The minute details of what is considered 'right' is up for debate. What isn't is the underlying design concepts behind the decisions of why the UI of Kontakt is the way it is. Namely squareish screens in smaller resolutions (compared to today).
I think it was clearly explained to you earlier in the thread as to why the UI of Kontakt 6 is the way it is and why the UI of some of the newer NI products are so different. A better question to ask is, is the main selling point of K6 the UI or the libraries?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”