Chromaphone. Any competitors?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Again, thanks for the input guys :tu:

Harmor looks and sounds more than interesting. Nice audio demo's JO512, thanks! (Chromatic) percussion-like sounds are what I am interested in.

Been studying and programming Prism. Got some nice sounds from it, but not thát much. Does anybody know how to draw your own partials in the modal bank? If you can draw your own partials, can this be done by note number? Because I noticed the partials differ per note number. Or is the only way to start patching by selecting a snapshot and they provide the partials in the modal bank?

Here is another batch of random Harmor plucks. These are long plucks, allowed to ring for a while, with the addition of some movement through an image, which animates the gain and frequencies of the partials.

https://soundcloud.com/user-260326741/h ... rPnkSIY5AR

peterdh wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:50 pm Nice audio demo's JO512, thanks!
Sure!

I have Harmor and sold Chromaphone some time ago.
And once you have Harmor, you have it. (NFR.) But I don't think I've used or even opened it in months. And with the current sale going on, am considering buying Chromaphone again. But can't say I really need either.

In fact, I just slated Harmor for removal from my 'home' system. It's been more desktop distraction than anything else lately.

JO512 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:48 pm
David wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:24 pm I'd LOVE to check Harmor out, but I'd have to buy FLStudioMAC first:( (Which I'd ALSO like to check out! When $$$ allows…)
I didn't realize there is no VST only version for Mac. That sucks!
Wow, your extremely interesting demo sounds make this all the more "urgent"—Thanks for that…I guess:)

They're also inspiring me to dig deeper with both Alchemy and MSoundFactory, both of which are deep additive devices; Alchemy even has image conversion IIRC… And MSF is also a quite spiffy physical modeling tool:)

JO512 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:58 pm Here is another batch of random Harmor plucks. These are long plucks, allowed to ring for a while, with the addition of some movement through an image, which animates the gain and frequencies of the partials.
Could you post a few of the images you've found useful for these sort of sounds? I'd guess that it's more the envelopes used that really makes this happen, tho…right?

David wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:45 pm
David wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 pmI've also made some snap banks for both, especially SyAriA; happy to share, just PM me:)
Thanks for your great post!

Bought SyAriA some years back, but lost the ensemble somewhere along the way. Finally got a new link from the developer, this week, and am just starting to play around with it. Not so much fun on a tiny laptop screen, but I'm sure I'll get by. Anyway! Will probably hit you up for those presets, if that's not a problem.

And the Prism modifications look so interesting. Always loved the sound of Prism, but never put in the time to conquer it. Wondering if perhaps getting the mods would just make learning it even more difficult, or whether it might help :shrug:

Thanks again :tu:
Check your mail:)

And, yeah, Prism-X does NOT simplify Prism! Don's add-ons are even more head-scratching:)
But it does add a ton of snap banks to it…which IMO makes it considerably more fun to explore.
Many thanks, man!

Yeah! From the video walkthrough, I'm not sure what I was thinking. But even if I never got around to learning it all, the price is easily justifiable as a preset/snapshot expansion.

Cheers :tu:

David wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:30 pm
Could you post a few of the images you've found useful for these sort of sounds? I'd guess that it's more the envelopes used that really makes this happen, tho…right?
Here are a few of the sort that work well for me. I made the ones I posted first here inline. The others I just grabbed from the web.
abstract moire color copy rotated 512.jpg
hasdfh.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JO512 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:30 pm I'd guess that it's more the envelopes used that really makes this happen, tho…right?
It's a mixture. The images contribute a lot.

Here are a few more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JO512 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:09 pm
David wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:30 pm
Here are a few of the sort that work well for me. I made the ones I posted inline. The others I just grabbed from the web.
Excellent, thank you! Reminds me of the many images I made and scavenged years ago when I got Falcon which does image to wavetable conversion; which I rather quickly abandoned since it didn't prove that interesting after all the work I put in. Same with Metasynth, TBH… (Well, both were interesting, just more often than not, in the wrong direction!) Fingers crossed this'll be more fulfilling:)
Last edited by David on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTW, what was your tool for making the top 2 images, if you don't mind sharing?

David wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:27 pm Excellent, thank you! R
No problem!
David wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:39 pm BTW, what was your tool for making the top 2 images, if you don't mind sharing?
I used Photoshop and painted them using a pressure-sensitive Wacom tablet and some custom brushes which produce a bunch of lines, faded at the ends, perpendicular to the brush path.

Got it—They look great:)

David wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 pm
The first is an add-on for existing Prism owners: ANIMATOR FOR PRISM by Don Garbutt, requires both Prism and Reaktor 5 at least. Truly a worth-while supercharger for Prism, I found. $19!
This is my favorite thread on KVRAudio right now. I love PM synthesis but currently don’t have the budget to pick up anything new but it’s good to know what is available and what’s happening in that realm.
Animator for Prism and Animator for Razor look excellent, thanks for the links, David. This guy Don Garbutt must be some kind of intellectual heavyweight getting a good recommendation from Clifford Pickover, i will be stoked to dig into his website.
Another +1 for Harmor even though it’s a different synth method. +1 for Kaivo, both of these are crazily underrated IMO.
Substansia looks fantastic but im not part of that ecosystem (Mac), and i’m not interested in being part of it but if i was i could have Sculpture, Substansia, and PA3, (and Alchemy v2).
I know that i am starting to skip like a broken record but just a nicely upgraded version of Tassman would be hugely satisfying (although extremely unlikely since they discontinued it).
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

David wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:34 am Got it—They look great:)
Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”