Reason Rack Plugin FREE with any purchase at Plugin Boutique during July

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hate to be right, but, I always said that VST support will ultimately kill off Reason as a DAW. I'm not into doom prophecies, but, I see exactly that happen at the moment...

WasteLand wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:10 am
antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:04 am
excuse me please wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:52 am @antic604

As a potential new user, I didn't get the message, though.
Yeah, I think it was more directed towards (long-term, ideally) Reason users at the time, for whom this must've been a revelation. I guess for everyone else the feeling must've been similar to Android user switching to iPhone - there's lots of great stuff, but my freedom is gone ;)
i don't understand, why is your freedom gone? ow, about iPhone :party: :borg:
REs were thought of in a similar manner that apps are in Apple's App Store - they control what's there, how it works, they take a fee from every sale, etc. "Freedom" is the opposite situation, that you find in Android or VSTs, where anyone can develop whatever they want and how they want (almost, obiously) and sell wherever. Also, you can set up your environment - Android phone - however you want.

My point is someone who was using VSTs for years must've found REs very constraining & limited, despite their obvious positive features.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 am
WasteLand wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:05 amo i understand now. usefull to other "buyers". is the next step, making thor a RE? thor, is my example, or europa or grain (all 3 i like and use..).
or is the reason plugin rack lite, for a upgrade path to intro (that hasn't the reason plugin rack?).
or indeed only for RE's that aren't "built in".
No one knows, really. Very popular opinion is that Reason Studios will eventually abandon Reason (the DAW) and will focus on their own - awesome, for the most part! - devices, likely also porting old instruments & FX to RE format, make the Rack Plugin free and sell their stuff + whatever 3rd parties' stuff that want to join; via their shop.
i always thought, how will it go on, with reason 11 suite, for instance.
it was already a sign that gonna split.
but i depend on your information (also for bitwig, which i have bought). or you have had a great influence on my decision...

antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 am Very popular opinion is that Reason Studios will eventually abandon Reason (the DAW) and will focus on their own - awesome, for the most part! - devices, likely also porting old instruments & FX to RE format
Buying just the Reason devices you want instead of the whole Reason package is an interesting thought, but it all depends on the pricetags of those RE's of course.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 am I hate to be right, but, I always said that VST support will ultimately kill off Reason as a DAW. I'm not into doom prophecies, but, I see exactly that happen at the moment...
that is right, i think. one of the reasons (yes that wordplay is killing!), that i updated/upgraded to reason 11 suite, from 10. that i have still the DAW. which i also like. (and my other 6 DAW's....)

WasteLand wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:19 ambut i depend on your information (also for bitwig, which i have bought). or you have had a great influence on my decision...
Lol, don't do that. I'm just another guy trying to guess what's gonna happen, without any insider info, with my own biases and ignorance :) :hug:
Music tech enthusiast

Lotuz2019 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:23 am
antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 am Very popular opinion is that Reason Studios will eventually abandon Reason (the DAW) and will focus on their own - awesome, for the most part! - devices, likely also porting old instruments & FX to RE format
Buying just the Reason devices you want instead of the whole Reason package is an interesting thought, but it all depends on the pricetags of those RE's of course.
i always calculate from sale prices. but me thinks, as package it will be always cheaper.
but you can cherry pick. but i really really like the built in devices.
indeed it is an interesting thought to buy only the ones you like, but indeed the price tag, with intro you get europa, thor, etc. it is €79, it was by the way ones in a sale for €49...

antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:25 am
WasteLand wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:19 ambut i depend on your information (also for bitwig, which i have bought). or you have had a great influence on my decision...
Lol, don't do that. I'm just another guy trying to guess what's gonna happen, without any insider info, with my own biases and ignorance :) :hug:
haha, no your information i process my own way, i look at my workflow, i also demoed bitwig of course, and demoed reason 11. bitwig i will use in another way than ableton, for instance.
so i think for myself (is that a good thing? :hyper: :party: )
although the drivenbymoss scripts are great...
ableton will not go (that is what i am thinking now), it has some things that i really like.
i see a DAW as an instument.

everyone is biased, but you provide also criticism. and i was first very impressed by bitwig studio, now less... but that is a normal phase...

i wanted only to say, that your remarks, had a influence, but in the end it was of course (was it?).
and other people, when i made the thread about the floating window (which was a bug..).

WasteLand wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:29 am with intro you get europa, thor, etc. it is €79, it was by the way ones in a sale for €49...
It was €39 in December (50% sale). At the time I didn't know how to get it running in Maschine and I also had doubts about which devices I would actually use instead of the VST plugins I already have, so I returned it.

and now MPE for reason (rack plugin)...
Lotuz2019 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:36 am
WasteLand wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:29 am with intro you get europa, thor, etc. it is €79, it was by the way ones in a sale for €49...
It was €39 in December (50% sale). At the time I didn't know how to get it running in Maschine and I also had doubts about which devices I would actually use instead of the VST plugins I already have, so I returned it.
o yes. yes the reason rack plugin is vst3 only. maschine will get vst3 support, but it is ages since last update of maschine (which i really like, was a way of working, that i used to have, but now with more possibilites, and non-destructive).

quite ironic, while reason 10/11 only support vst2...... like maschine... (all native instruments stuff is vst2)

Psuper wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:55 pm and props for all intensive purposes abandoned the DAW aspect
That's utter nonsense, even when assuming that you probably meant "for all intents and porposes" rather than "intensive purposes" (whatever that may be/mean :hihi:)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:46 am
excuse me please wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:03 am @antic604

Well, if I remember well, they introduced RE with the addition: VST will become obsolete. I immediately got a Betamax erlebnis flashback. The CEO made an arrogant impression on me. That said, I was planning to buy a DAW and keep it. So I did :)
I don't think that was what they were implying. They just wanted to give Reason users more freedom in terms of devices they can use and a much better experience using them by ensuring that:
- Reason feels like a closed, tightly curated system
- it's safe, i.e. there's no threat from viruses
- it's legit, because you can't pirate RE
- it's integrated, because no matter who developed the RE it's one login & password to buy, install, update them
- that they're 100% guaranteed to work & take full advantage of the DAW (CV patching, pattern tracks, automation, etc.), platform independant and 100% stable (sandboxed).

I think those were very good & noble goals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziDR9pJOl6M
And they still are: I can clearly say that- generally speaking - I by far prefer RE over VST - but there's not enough of them - I would love to see companies such as Audiority, Bluecat, Boz and Fuse Audio Labs develop RE. Maybe that's still going to happen if Reason VST catches momentum...

which is why R11 may turn out ot be a very important milestone even for those of us who use Reason as their main DAW.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:00 am
Psuper wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:55 pm and props for all intensive purposes abandoned the DAW aspect
That's utter nonsense, even when assuming that you probably meant "for all intents and porposes" rather than "intensive purposes" (whatever that may be/mean :hihi:)
Oh don't be like that. Just post it for others to ridicule at r/boneappleteeth ;) :D j/k
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 am Very popular opinion is that Reason Studios will eventually abandon Reason (the DAW) and will focus on their own - awesome, for the most part! - devices, likely also porting old instruments & FX to RE format, make the Rack Plugin free and sell their stuff + whatever 3rd parties' stuff that want to join; via their shop.

I don't think that is going to happen. They just recently put so much development time into reworking Reason's audio engine.

They very carefully move forward their entire eco-system. My impression is that they have a very holistic approach.
Last edited by jens on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:13 am Just post it for others to ridicule at r/boneappleteeth ;) :D j/k
My finger is on the button... :troll:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”