Uplifting trance scales

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi hi , guys i want to make a uplifting trance tracl but i need recomendations about scales, what do you think is much better to do this ..?, minor scales o major scales ..?.

Thanks in advance.

avoid dminor, its the saddest of all scales :(

Minor is the way to go, major is less common.

But of course you need to balance tonality on your own. Playing only minor or major chords won't sound trancy at all ;)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 pm avoid dminor, its the saddest of all scales :(
:uhuhuh: saddest of all keys

I should think that if the goal is :uplifting tarnce: just do what everybody else does, yeah?
Serious/no snark: major or minor scale is not necessarily determinant like that; what is your idea? Does it have congruence with this or the other attributes or properties? 'D minor, the saddest of all keys' is a joke.
The crucial bit there is the piece is called Lick My Love Pump.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:22 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 pm avoid dminor, its the saddest of all scales :(
:uhuhuh: saddest of all keys

:help: :oops:

Really thanks guys , i really apreciate your help

It's usually natural minor, sometimes borrowing sharp VII from harmonic minor (in A minor it will be G sharp and Emaj or E7 dominant chord).

Sometimes natural major, but less common.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

snicker, she said lick my love pump :hihi:

https://youtu.be/fY8E_fni8sM

a sensitive ballad for late-night listening

javierosr wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:34 pm Hi hi , guys i want to make a uplifting trance tracl but i need recomendations about scales, what do you think is much better to do this ..?, minor scales o major scales ..?.

Thanks in advance.
Its interesting, I've found a lot of more modern Trance tracks are made in a major key, but use the relative minor for the intro/outro. But then, the Chord Progression starts on the I instead of the vi (or i in relative minor/Aeolian mode). Its also common to see minor chord progressions but that start on the IV of the major scale so they don't sound as "serious" (James Dymond does this a lot and it sounds really good). Minor keys tend to sound more "serious" (some people say "sad" but I don't think this is necessarily the case)
Most of the tracks I do are in Minor completely, but I don't think it makes sense to differentiate between the different "flavors" of minor. I usually borrow chords from the natural minor/Aeolian mode primarily, but in minor I find the V (instead of v; or the III in the relative major key) creates a stronger cadence so it makes sense to substitute that sometimes, especially at the end of a progression. You hear it quite a bit in uplifting trance such as this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Bn2xwwZvw
This adds strong cadential motion because of the half step resolution from the #7 scale degree.

Often, Major and Minor keys are used "together". For instance, System F's "Out of the Blue" sounds like a minor progression even though it is clearly in a major key and starts on the I. A lot of tracks also use this technique where the progression starts on the I the first time and then when it repeats starts on the vi (or i in relative minor). This adds a lot of drama and "color" to an otherwise basic chord progression. In other words, whether you write in major or minor, there's a good chance you're going to be using minor chords in either case. It just depends on what you define as the "tonic"

As for the particular key, I don't think there's much difference between them. When selecting a key, if its a vocal track, it makes sense to work to what's in the vocalist's range. If its an instrumental track, then usually it makes sense to choose the key mostly based on how good the bass (in particular sub bass) sounds, and then make sure the melody sounds good transposed there too. Obviously there is some slight (and I mean slight) difference between the "sounds" of different keys when one uses the equal tempered scale, but this is largely unnoticeable, especially to the casual listener and even most producers. Guys like Adam Ellis recommend selecting a key by choosing a sub bass note that "rumbles" so you can feel it when you place your feet on the floor.
"FriendZone"

Great view..., so interesting in way to change tbe l to VI ..., in their relative .., i will try this , thanks so much

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”