Cubase - Multiple upgrades in one go? AI to 10 Pro to 10.5 pro??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an unsual question (possibly?), I have a new music PC that I've built and am about ready to install cubase, however I am trying to install Cubase in the cleanest way possible. My situation is a follows

1) I have the UR-12 audio interface which has Cubase AI included
2) I have cubase 10 pro licence (upgrade from AI version) that I purchased in the sale last year
3) I "may" get the upgrade to 10.5 (off topic question - is it worth it?)

I have yet to install the Ur-12 interface or install AI. My question Is there way to get to version 10 pro (or 10.5 pro if i buy it) without the unneccesary complication/hassle of install AI first?

Also note I am a new Cubase user, I haven't registed any of my licences on MySteinberg yet either. So i just want to know the the cleanest way of going about this so I'm not doing multple installs/upgrades if possible.

If it's not possible can i do the 3 x installs/upgrades on an older different machine, unregister 10 pro (or 10.5) from that, then do a clean install of 10.5 on my shiny new machine? Or is this method even more of a headache?
Many Thanks
...i need to get out more

"...If it's not possible can i do the 3 x installs/upgrades on an older different machine, unregister 10 pro (or 10.5) from that, then do a clean install of 10.5 on my shiny new machine? Or is this method even more of a headache"

Ah i may be able to this as the elicenser is designed to let you move your cubase version around right???

Yes. You can simply upgrade your AI license to Pro 10 first (it's even possible that Steinberg gives you a Pro 10.5 license instead if you haven't activated your serial yet), by using the elicenser application. Then you can download the Cubase Pro 10.5 installer from the Steinberg website, and you're good to go, no need to install the AI version first. However, be warned that you need an elicenser USB key to run Cubase Pro.
Last edited by Sahul on Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes. What Sahul wrote. Just activate your AI in the eLicenser application, then upgrade the AI license through eLicenser also, and then you can install Cubase Pro right away, no need to install AI.

Many thanks Sahul,
Where you say " You can simply upgrade your AI license to Pro 10 first "
Do you mean i need to register the AI license first in "MyProducts", then register the 10 pro upgrade? And then it should
automatically sort itself out? I.e. Do all this before attempting any installation of software?

Ah yes I see what you mean RE me not registered my serial yet, that would be awesome it automatically upgraded to to 10.5! It would save me £31!

Activation and registration are 2 separate things. You register your dongle, you activate your licence. :party:

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's starting to make sense now!

Just to reclarify/correct what I have:
1) USB physical elicenser
2) UR-12 audio interface which has Cubase AI included
2) Cubase 10 pro licence (upgrade from AI version) that I purchased in the sale last year
3) I "may" get the upgrade to 10.5 (but might get this free anyway?)

Just a couple of more questions, so I need to register my USB elicenser dongle first, then activate my AI licence on the elicenser, then activate 10 pro license on the elicenser, right? And then i can download and install pro 10/10.5 on whatever machine i want as long as the elincenser dongle is plusgged in?

What's the deal with soft elicense though? And will I be given one when install the elicense software? Is it better to have a physical dongle?

And I'm guessing it's worth registering my UR-12? Does it matter what order things are done in?

I think the first thing you should do is downloading the latest eLicenser Control Center from www.steinberg.net/en/company/technologi ... enser.html
Upon installing, it will create a new Soft-eLicenser on your hard disk, which is a kind of virtual container where it will store new software licenses you get. You will see it is identified with an specific serial number. Then, if you go to the upper menu, you have the option to "Register on MySteinberg" that Soft-eLicenser, so it is added as a new device on your Steinberg account.
Next step is entering your AI activation code. Click on "Enter Activation Code" and type the serial. It will be registered to the Soft-eLicenser. Your AI license will be then fully activated and ready to use.

To upgrade to Pro: First, you need to own a physical eLicenser dongle (this is mandatory). Connect it to your computer and open the eLicenser app. You will find a new item on the left part of the window, listed as USB-eLicenser and identified with a number.
Next, you have to move your Cubase AI license to that dongle. This can be done simply by drag'n'droping the license from the right over the USB-eLicenser item (be warned: once you do it, you will not be able to move it back to the Soft-eLicenser, it will be forever tied to an eLicenser physical key!!).
Now, if you have done it right, when you click on the USB-eLicenser icon you will find your Cubase AI listed on the right.
Ok, time for the final step: Upgrading the license. It should be pretty easy: Again, click on "Enter Activation Code" and this time paste the serial you got when you purchased the upgrade to Pro 10. The app will tell you that your current Cubase AI license is suitable for an upgrade. Click ok and done. Your new Cubase Pro 10 license will show on the right, replacing the old Cubase AI license. Time to download the Pro full installer from www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/cubase_105.html

Yes. The whole process looks pretty convoluted, but I swear it's easier than it seems... :lol:

Ok, as you already have the USB dongle, I guess you could jump some steps and activate the AI license straight to the USB-eLicenser, and then doing the upgrade. Much quicker this way.

Thanks again.

Just to clarify, where you say " I guess you could jump some steps and activate the AI license straight to the USB-eLicenser, and then doing the upgrade"

Can you specify exactly which steps I can actually skip if i have a physical USB dongle...sorry to be a dunce :dog:

Also just a couple of more questions for everyoe if you don't mind please! :pray: This is more to do with:
a) Where to install Cubase and VSTS (due to "potential" space issues)
b) Which windows account to instal and run Cubase from

a) Where to install Cubase and VSTs
So i may not have planned my PC too well :/ I only have a 256gb m2 NVME drive as my primary drive (c:\) to install Windows and apps such as Cubase etc

And I'm planning on a 1TB SSD as a secondary drive (D:\)

Now, for perfomance reasons should i install cubase on on my 256gb primary C:\ drive? Does it matter particualry?

Or should I install it on the larger secondary d:\ drive. And can this be done anyway?

I will also be installing large some sample based synths like Garritan Personal Orchestra/VPS avenger. I think I will have to install these on the D:\ anyway right due to space issues on c:\

Maybe I should just stick Cubase and all VST's on d:\ anyway?

b) Which windows account to install and run Cubase from
Also can I/should I install cubase on a Windows 10 user account or should i install (and also use) the admin account to save (and run) cubase to avoid any potential grief?

Put Cubase on your c drive, put the sound libraries on your other drive.
Don't just click through the options in the installer! Cubase itself is about 1 gb. The rest of the download is sounds/samples.

If you don't actually use Windows' Outlook functions, you don't need to use a Windows account. The default will serve. You can elevate Cubase's security privileges by running it as an Administrator. I've never needed to.

Create a folder outside of the Windows, Program Files or Program data folders, for future vst2 plugins. VST3 plugins can stay in the default folder. (Mine is c:/vst64, and, because some software insists, I'm looking at you Native Instruments, c:/vst32.) Steinberg plugins cannot be used by other programs.

You don't have to install Cubase to activate it! True!
Install the e-licencer, activate the AI version, buy the upgrade, activate it, download Cubase 10.5, install it. If you wait until November/December to activate it, you'll get the free upgrade to v11.

Many thanks @googlySmythe for your replies...
I still have my dunces hat on somewhat :/

RE your comment "Create a folder outside of the Windows, Program Files or Program data folders, for future vst2 plugins..."
Is this in reference to the VST instruments (and fx) that come included with Cubase (i.e. Halion/Groove Agent etc) and assume get installed at the same time as cubase?
Or are you referring to 3rd party VST's?

RE your comment "You don't have to install Cubase to activate it! True!
Install the e-licencer, activate the AI version, buy the upgrade, activate it, download Cubase 10.5, install it. If you wait until November/December to activate it, you'll get the free upgrade to v11."

This is intriguing! But obviously still confusing to me lol :help: :ud:
@Sahul mentioned that as I had not installed/activated my 10 pro upgrade licence yet it should fingers crossed get 10.5? "Yes. You can simply upgrade your AI license to Pro 10 first (it's even possible that Steinberg gives you a Pro 10.5 license instead if you haven't activated your serial yet),"

So I've already bought the 10 pro upgrade, your saying download 10 pro or 10.5 pro? Or are you saying buy the 10.5 upgrade as well, install that, then wait to activate til November to get 11 for free??

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”