Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

So it really seems like they took over the 2 years release cycle from Cubase (minus the .5 upgrade, of course): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_On ... se_History

Hmm... sort of mixed about that. Of course I'm curious about new features, but, especially with the upgrade price as high as it is, I really can't see me upgrading, if v5 is really released in 5 days. I can understand where they come from though. It looks like Cubase's release cycle is very popular, and people buy and buy and buy. As a hobbyist, and with the budget as tight as I set it, it'll be worth considering skipping a few versions, I guess.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:46 amAs a hobbyist, and with the budget as tight as I set it, it'll be worth considering skipping a few versions, I guess.
If it's really gonna be mostly upgrade of 'old' 20+ devices to current GUI design then I might pass on v5 as well. But I hope it's more.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I have been upgrading on the .5 releases, they always seem more interesting (so it may be 5.5 before I go unless they knock it out of the park with the release, but to be honest, for what I use Studio One for I cant think of much that I actually need!). Given that I use a few different DAWS there are certainly a lot of things I dint need or want adding, but if you are 'Studio One' only you may be looking for the Logic type upgrades with clip launchers etc. Tighter Melodyne (5) integration will be in there I am sure...there is a lot of room for improvement there....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:54 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:46 amAs a hobbyist, and with the budget as tight as I set it, it'll be worth considering skipping a few versions, I guess.
If it's really gonna be mostly upgrade of 'old' 20+ devices to current GUI design then I might pass on v5 as well. But I hope it's more.
Yeah. What I'd hope for is that they upgrade the included plugins a bit, and bring them to par with at least the stuff which is included in Cubase. Some of the included stuff is pretty good, like the EQ or the compressor (don't think I'd ever need more than that), but, other stuff like delay, reverb, phaser etc. is rather lacklustre.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:20 amYeah. What I'd hope for is that they upgrade the included plugins a bit, and bring them to par with at least the stuff which is included in Cubase. Some of the included stuff is pretty good, like the EQ or the compressor (don't think I'd ever need more than that), but, other stuff like delay, reverb, phaser etc. is rather lacklustre.
Interesting, because I thought the Compressor is a bit on a basic side (e.g. you can't apply filter to external sidechain input), but Groove Delay, Open Air and Room Verb were really good :)

Hopefully v5 will not only put a fresh coat of paint, but add some features too.
Music tech enthusiast

I never tried the Groove Delay, only the Analog Delay. Will try the Groove Delay, maybe it's better indeed. :)

Edit: Ok, looks like it's more of a tap delay. I usually don't use those.

antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:50 am
starflakeprj wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:22 am Noooo, 7th of July is too early, I don't receive the last vital part for my new rig until the 13th.
Poor you! 1st world problems ;) :D
Thanks, yes it's horrible 😂
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:39 am Interesting, because I thought the Compressor is a bit on a basic side (e.g. you can't apply filter to external sidechain input)
There is a dedicated "Sidechain Filter" mode on the compressor. What are you missing? Or do you mean something different?

Crossinger wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:02 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:39 am Interesting, because I thought the Compressor is a bit on a basic side (e.g. you can't apply filter to external sidechain input)
There is a dedicated "Sidechain Filter" mode on the compressor. What are you missing? Or do you mean something different?
It's disabled when external sidechain is engaged.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:09 pm
Crossinger wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:02 pm
It's disabled when external sidechain is engaged.
:dog: Can't be true. Never used it, but I remembered that there's a button labelled "Filter". Strange omittance though.

nm

In the latest Live Beta there is controller support for something called AtomSQ along with Atom. So that might be the new controller for July 7th announcment?

andypryce wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:13 pm In the latest Live Beta there is controller support for something called AtomSQ along with Atom. So that might be the new controller for July 7th announcment?
SQ = SeQuencer?

So maybe there is a looper/sequencer/clip launcher coming?
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

Hmmm...there is 'logic' there...if Presonus added a clip launcher (like everyone else has!) it would, make sense they would make there own hardware 8x8 clip launcher hardware (look out Novation!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:45 pm Hmmm...there is 'logic' there...if Presonus added a clip launcher (like everyone else has!) it would, make sense they would make there own hardware 8x8 clip launcher hardware (look out Novation!)
Considering Novation doesn't seem to care or want to support any DAW but Ableton. Novation is not looking out for anything.

Maybe Preonus is taking a if we build they will come type fo approach. I own an SLMK3 and the Studio One integration is crap.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”