Best Delay Plugin?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know about best, but I stick mostly to the new combined Simple/PP 'Delay' plugin in Live 10 and ValhallaDelay. I have Echoboy, Echo, Sandman Pro and probably some others but the Live delay is super fast to work with and used in a rack as an inline send-return it's very easy to add your down character, ducking etc by adding stuff to the wet signal path. I have a Rack setup with Saturn for a bit of grit and tonal shaping with the onboard EQ plus the dynamics turned up to about +0.4 to bring up the tails, followed by a Glue Compressor with the sidechain listening to the dry path, for ducking the tails. I use Rack this for probably 80% of my delay needs.
Always Read the Manual!

I like H- Delay by waves

Soundtoys been getting a lot of use lately. I just think it sounds professional.

Soundtoys definitely has a good sound, but you would somewhat expect with the price that comes with it. Valhalla is probably still the most affordable high-quality product out there, but so far a lot of great suggestions.
Take care :wink:

Sigmund by d16 is excellent for the more creative applications and comes free with the current edition of beat magazine!

gondii wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:26 am Sigmund by d16 is excellent for the more creative applications and comes free with the current edition of beat magazine!
hi,
so..if I buy the digital issue [uk ed.]- how can I get access to the dvd content >?? thx
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Well you download it. I didn't buy this specific issue, but there are instructions inside the magazine and you follow a link and redeem the code (or something like that). And then in order to verify that you actually have the issue, it will ask you "what is the third word on page X". (like with Computer Music Magazine).

Valhalla Delay is simply awesome..

Sigmund is indeed an excellent (almost) freebie to grab, and thanks to the great tip from gondii I got it too. As per the instructions in the magazine you go to beat's serialcenter website and enter the appropriate information. That gives you a code you can redeem as a gift from D16.

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:46 am Unless I want to do something crazy with Tantra or Movement, I'm not really too fussy. That said, if someone wants a recommendation, I find it hard to go past WA Production's Mutant Delay. The built-in ducking makes it great for vocals, as does the "B" mode for delay filtering, which ramps the filtering in over time. Those two features allow you to have lots of audible delay without necessarily muddying up your mix like a lot of delays can. I quite like its GUI, too, and it goes nicely with Mutant Reverb and Vocal Splitter.
I also have discovered Mutant Delay. I wouldn't say it's one of my overall top-5 delays, but besides the ducking and feedback filtering it has a rather unique 'Ping Pong' feature. It's unlike most other delays as it doesn't pan the repeat fully to the left or fully to the right. Instead the repeats stay centered like the audio signal you're sending into Mutant Delay, only left and right sides are switched on each repeat. Nice! :)

You have five different delays? I have two - this one, just for vocals, and the Diffuse Delay that comes in Orion.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:52 am You have five different delays? I have two - this one, just for vocals, and the Diffuse Delay that comes in Orion.
Five? Ehm... :shrug: :lol: I like plugins that add colour and character, especially delays. And there are many different sounding delay plugins around. Mutant Delay itself doesn't add much colour and character, but in combination with a lofi tape plugin like SketchCassette for example it's great.

I get my colour and character from the instruments, I want my delay to stay the hell out of that side of things. It's purpose is to thicken things up and reinforce the beat, nothing more.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I use a few different delays. They all sound different. I love delays, but i've decided i don't need any more (although i'm tempted by Late Replies). I have Diffuse, Modnetic, Echoboy & Jr, Replika & XT, Sandman, Instant Delay, W.A. Sphere Delay, Objeq Delay, an Air delay which i don't use, Bitwig delay which i haven't used yet, Reason's lovely The Echo, D16 Repeater, Hornet DelayPlus, PSP Stompdelay which i don't use, Softube Tube Delay, and also Waves Kramer Tape has a great sounding delay on it.
My favourites are Diffuse, Modnetic, Echoboy, Replika XT, Objeq delay, and Reason The Echo, and honourary mention to Sphere Delay and Delayplus for a very nice sounding very cheap delay.
That's my innane contribution to the forum for today. I like lists.

Reverb and delay really only matter in a sparse mix. Detail just turns into mud. It's usually better to just give the impression of an echo with a simple slapback, and not try to get fancy.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”